C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

look ma, got no teeth!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default look ma, got no teeth!!

well we yanked the pumpkin yesterday and and first we were scratching our head. ring gear looked just fine and it still turns over relatively smoothly. found one dry ujoint at the back of the drive shaft.

we look a bit closer and found a couple of teeth from the pinion gear sheared cleanly off. not junk in the oil, just busted off

83K miles of sheer torture was enough for that poor pinion (it has been through hell)

the new rear is going in today thanks to Phil and Gibby, and the LSV will be back on the road !!

it's pretty amazing that the gear busted just driving it (as intended I might add) on the street with "enthusiasm"

I believe a nice 2nd gear hook on a WOT power shift did it. no spinning of the tires, just pure LSV flat gettin it

oh well, if the rear can't take the output, time for a stronger one!

the new rear has the nice 4.10 viper super dana gears which are quite a bit more beefy than stock.

I'll post some pics of the carnage and a comparison of the rears and gears once we tear down the pumpkin to replace the ring and pinion
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,081 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Those old headsets just aren't as stout as the newer stuff. I hurt the 4.27 cogs in my 90 ZR-1 at Beech Bend,back in 2000,on a 2nd gear power shift. Got into a smidgen of wheel hop and that was all it took.

Glad to hear you found the problem,Ron.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
Those old headsets just aren't as stout as the newer stuff. I hurt the 4.27 cogs in my 90 ZR-1 at Beech Bend,back in 2000,on a 2nd gear power shift. Got into a smidgen of wheel hop and that was all it took.

Glad to hear you found the problem,Ron.
I drove Lance Millers car which I believe has 4.33 gears car runs really well

Get notified of new replies

To look ma, got no teeth!!

Quick Reply: look ma, got no teeth!!