C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Found a ZR-1 (shame)

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Since it been in a flood and needs work.....Two words: Race Car.

Strip her down and do a custom wiring harness for the essentials. DONE!!

For 11K, that salvage guy is touching himself. Then again he could part the car out and get that for it. Motor alone is worth maybe half that. Transmission another 2k. The Dana 44 should bring about 1K. Not much left after that.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car is a flood car=trouble. Lt5=Worth it Black rose=very worth it. 11k price not. This car will get fixed by someone. I Brought the 95 vert i have back from the dead. It was NOT worth the effort as i could have bought a regular car for less * I could do it in a couple of weeks now.
You say The Lt5 runs good.. If the title reads flood damage the car is worthless from a resale stand point.
The car might not be that bad, And assured it is worse then it looks.
s
Like the other guys said unless you into working on this Pass Pass pass.

Last edited by illenema; 06-23-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, one could sell the motor and do a twin turbo Lsx swap. perfect chassis for it.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Bajapit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super sad.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
But what if it has a salvage title? I guess it could be "washed" and at some point a state will issue a clear title, right? But it would still have a checkered past.
You cant wash the title on a ZR-1 and expect it to go unnoticed.The Z community is tighter than you think.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Sandy was in most places a coastal storm meaning
Salt water flood
Having just completed an 18 month rescue of my beach condo
I can attest to the absolute destruction caused by saltwater.
I love Corvettes
Especially
ZR-1's
I would not touch this car at all if it was a salt water victim, which is quite likely
Others are so underpriced,why would one bother?
Different story 10 or 20 years from now assuming it doesn't
Disintegrate like everything in my condo from the salt water
Sandy the Bitch was one mean$&$$&@/:/
I would rather re build a wreck
Or stick pins in my eyes
Move on....
Nothing to see here
Especially at 11,000.00
There's my $.02
Caveat Emptor!!!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I've bought and sold salvage cars over the years and I really enjoy them...but flood cars are a different breed. I've built two of them, and bought another for a parts car. Of the two I built, both were fresh water, and one was a great car, but it was a stripped down plymouth with no power options and I gutted the car and wiped all electrical boards within a week of the flood. The 2nd was a total nightmare and is the reason I don't ever build flood cars anymore. It was from the same flood, but didn't get it until 3 weeks after the flood. It had electrical nightmares that popped up over and over.

Flood cars make great parts cars...and that's the best buy for that one. That being said, if someone really wanted to do that car, the best thing to do is completely strip it and rebuild it with parts from another Zr1 that is totaled. If complete records are kept and the work is done right, the value would only be a minor slight due to it's rarity. There is always a buyer for a car that is done right, regardless of history. I've sold several of my salvage history cars that I built for myself at prices over those of clean-history cars simply because mine was in superior condition and the buyer was comfortable with the work I had done.
I can't see the pictures on this car in question, but it sounds like a fun project. Still...for what some of these Zr1's are bringing these days, I can't imagine putting the money in it at this point in time.

I'd almost buy it to part it out, but keep the chassis with all body panels for a restore at a later point - but then again, I don't have a lot of $$$$$ laying around right now...
Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
But what if it has a salvage title? I guess it could be "washed" and at some point a state will issue a clear title, right? But it would still have a checkered past.
a salvage car that ends up with a clear title isn't washed its repaired.

You take a salvage car repair it get it inspected by your states Many Inspectors of this specific issue, They determine if you repaired the car satisfactory and it is issued a new title so it can be drive legally, insured so on.

I know Michigan titles on cars that had a salvage title and have been repaired have a normal title. But it has "Previous Salvage Title Issued" printed on the title.

So to wash it that title the one stating a "previous salvage Title" would have to go to another state and get one that would then leave that wording out of the title.

Yet something like this would be found on the carfox and so on.

Its the cars that never get totaled by the insurance that still have a clear title that are the ones that fly under the radar.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Phrogs, I disagree. A car can be bought out of state with a salvage title. Register it in a different state, and you might be issued a clear title.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Believe what you want its all good.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
Believe what you want its all good.
I completely agree with that statement. I've had that salvage to clear title happen to a few people I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found a ZR-1 (shame)