C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade?

I want do a basic brake upgrade. I searched and read a lot of information about upgrading but I just wanted to be clear and maybe get some info from somebody that has done this. Can I directly bolt on C5 calipers, front and rear, onto my stock 90 ZR-1 rotors with 13,000miles, and new stainless braided brake lines and brake better than stock? Thanks guys.

Craig,

PS: Who wants to sell me some C5 brake calipers?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you read Dynomite's Tech Info sticky at the top of the page yet,Craig? It has some excellent info on C5 brake conversions.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...post1581564033
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a set of C5 calipers I took off my 2002 Vert that only had about 23K miles on it. They are sitting in my storage building right now. Need to be cleaned up a bit. I'm sure we could work something out if you're interested.

Jim
Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

There is NO "DIRECT BOLT ON" upgrade to C5 brakes front and rear "NONE"! You must use an "adapter" fabricated by someone to install the C5 hardware on the front and you must use C5 rotors. You will never know how well you've done with your C5 install until you actually use them, the adapter brackets require a "bolt-on" to confirm they're anywhere near correct. If you have problems they will be problems that you won't enjoy and there's no discussion with the resellers of the hardware as to a return if you're NOT happy. The washer assortment to 'shim' the aftermarket product isn't included and varies with each install. nearly all vendors for the brackets are 'no namers' and eBay is typically the mentioned source. Good luck!

You asked "Brake better than stock"? Likely NOT if you did the proper composition pad install on your stock calipers and all of the hydraulics were in "first class" condition.

There's no practical way to do anything with the rears. Can it be done? Yes but not inexpensively and likely no performance enhancement.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-23-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

C4 Grand Sport calipers are a direct bolt-on, but besides looks,
I'm not sure if they improve braking. I have C6 Z06 calipers in
the front, and as WVZR-1 said, they were a PITA to finally get
to fit/work. Sent adapter plates back A FEW TIMES to be corrected.
Had to be shimmed. But, boy, do I feel the braking difference!
Another question then: bias/proportioning spring? Bigger master/booster?

I didn't change the rear because I didn't want to loose the
E-brake, and to do it right (ricky) was more than I wanted to do.
Have fun, this is one reason I enjoy our cars so much. You can
modify them however you choose, or keep 'em stock!

Last edited by 95ZR1; 07-25-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default C4 to C5 Z06 Brake Conversion

Originally Posted by USAZR1
Have you read Dynomite's Tech Info sticky at the top of the page yet,Craig? It has some excellent info on C5 brake conversions.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...post1581564033
Yep...I did some engineering and took the Luck part out of the picture modifying a 90' and 91' ZR-1

This specific conversion will NOT work with Stock Saw Blades (so close...........there is less than 1/4 inch interference) but there are ways around that

Stock C4 Brakes are OK....but these Wilwood Rotors with C5 Z06 Calipers are definitely the best

I used two sources of High Quality Corvette C4 to C5-Z06 conversion brackets/Adapters found on Ebay

ZR-1 (90' and 91') Wilwood Rotors and C4 to C5-Z06 Conversion

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-23-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite

I used two sources of High Quality Corvette C4 to C5-Z06 conversion brackets/Adapters found on Ebay
That's called "LUCK OF THE DRAW"! You can NOT assure the OP of similar results in the "first attempt". Did I mention "can NOT"?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Experimenting/Modifying can be a lot of fun

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That's called "LUCK OF THE DRAW"! You can NOT assure the OP of similar results in the "first attempt". Did I mention "can NOT"?
Whatever you say
Guess that applies to anything bought "On Line" where you do not see the item until it is delivered by FedX, UPS, or USPS

My verification of the Billet Aluminum Belt Tensioner Pulley, or the Chrome Dip Stick Handle, or the Billet Aluminum Oil Cap are Prime Examples of great results from experimentation

Some One has to break the Ice and Experiment and Try Modifications to PROVE the Concepts

Same applies to the C4 to C5 Z06 Brake Conversion which is the topic of this thread

ZR-1 (90' and 91') Wilwood Rotors and C4 to C5-Z06 Conversion

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

to Cliff's response
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a hell of a time with my C5 caliper adapter brackets. I got a big box-o-stuff with 75% of the parts needed for the C5 brake conversion when i bought my car so i thought it would be an easy job to finish it....not!

First of all, the ones VB&P sells were not even machined in plane...they were cocked when I test fit them. I wasn't the original purchaser so I just gave those away. The ones I got were like the ebay units with the silver finish. Machined true, but I found they ride a bit more outboard on the rotor and place the caliper closer to the wheel. I worked around that, but it would be better if the pad didn't hang .030" off the edge of the rotor circumference.

So lets say you get some brackets that work ($200), a $1000 set of A-Mold wheels, $100 in braided lines for all 4 corner (because why do just the fronts), all the actual C5 brake parts ($a lot), and you still haven't bought a spare tire you can use. Then you will have to find out if the 17" GTO spare will rub the cooling fins on the calipers or not...so then you have the choice to machine .050 or so off of them or get different adapter brackets.

If you are on stock wheels, I would budget $2000 at least ($1000 if you have A-Molds). I spent $240 on a pair of EBC slotted C5 rotors and $100 on pads. Probably if you were smart, you would do any repairs to wheel bearings and shocks at this time which will of course add $$ to this 'easy project'. The main upshot is that C5 pads and rotors are a lot cheaper than the C4 units

Last edited by mike100; 07-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default If it is not fun....you are doing it wrong

If it is not fun .......you are doing it wrong

Originally Posted by mike100
I had a hell of a time with my C5 caliper adapter brackets. I got a big box-o-stuff with 75% of the parts needed for the C5 brake conversion when i bought my car so i thought it would be an easy job to finish it....not!

First of all, the ones VB&P sells were not even machined in plane...they were cocked when I test fit them. I wasn't the original purchaser so I just gave those away. The ones I got were like the ebay units with the silver finish. Machined true, but I found they ride a bit more outboard on the rotor and place the caliper closer to the wheel. I worked around that, but it would be better if the pad didn't hang .030" off the edge of the rotor circumference.

So lets say you get some brackets that work ($200), a $1000 set of A-Mold wheels, $100 in braided lines for all 4 corner (because why do just the fronts), all the actual C5 brake parts ($a lot), and you still haven't bought a spare tire you can use. Then you will have to find out if the 17" GTO spare will rub the cooling fins on the calipers or not...so then you have the choice to machine .050 or so off of them or get different adapter brackets.

If you are on stock wheels, I would budget $2000 at least ($1000 if you have A-Molds). I spent $240 on a pair of EBC slotted C5 rotors and $100 on pads. Probably if you were smart, you would do any repairs to wheel bearings and shocks at this time which will of course add $$ to this 'easy project'. The main upshot is that C5 pads and rotors are a lot cheaper than the C4 units

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-24-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:44 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

So....with all that said what if I just went with braided lines at all four corners and some good replacement pads along the lines of Hawk Ceramics? The juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYRC51
I want do a basic brake upgrade.

Craig
What is your objective?
* occasional HPDE and street braking inprovement
* bling and bragging rights
* other

and how much money do you have for the upgrade?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Yes to definitely improve my street braking. Maybe a HPDE.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Dynomite

Stock C4 Brakes are OK....but these Wilwood Rotors with C5 Z06 Calipers are definitely the best

Did the C5 ZO6 brakes and Baer Eradispeed rotors on mine. Good bang for the buck
Old 07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYRC51
Yes to definitely improve my street braking. Maybe a HPDE.
Your ZR-1 is basically new, so the original rotors should be fine. The most bang for the buck if you want to do an occasional HPDE is improved air flow to the rotors and top tier brake fluid like ATE or Motul. Fresh brake fluid every year is a must to keep fluid boiling under control. Everyone has their favorite brake pads, so do your own research, make a few phone calls to suppliers. Some suppliers make dual use pads for street and track which usually don't work very well for either, so pad swaps from street to track and back may be in your future. System upgrades to C5, Brembo and beyond get pretty costly so it's best to decide how much you want to spend first. FYI, as you improve on the track, you use less and less braking.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Great suggestions all around and I appreciate it. Can I expect better braking under most average conditions with new pads and stainless braided lines at all 4 corners? I agree with everyone here the ZO6/Willwood upgrade would be awesome but would be overkill for my purposes at this time not to mention the expense. I want to upgrade in stages. I have done a full B&B catback, brakes now, and looking at plenum/horn porting by Christmas, headers w/deleted cats by next may/jun, and lastly update my Haibeck chip to account for the upgrades. Somewhere in between I want to do the air injection delete, coolant by-pass, lambo doors J/K, but I do want to do 410 gears sometime.

Craig,

PS: Currently looking into Samco hoses (coolant and air) and stainless airbox with K&N.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Upgrade?

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade?