C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Mercury Marine Plant and Museum Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Mercury Marine Plant and Museum Tour

Ok guys. I am going to pick a date in September. August is almost upon us. We have Carlisle and Labor Day plus end of summer vacas. I think September may work best. Very likely looking at a Friday.
MMR has responded saying that either the 12th or the 19th of Sept. works for their organization. As part of this event, ZR-1 owners will get a tour of the MM manufacturing facility where they build the LT-5 descendent
QC4V. We'll also have a tour of the MMRacing Museum which houses a
1995 ZR-1 VIN # 110. Mercury is also offering a BBQ for lunch. Would love to have 10+ cars show up at their Fond du Lac facility in Wisconsin.
Let me know which of those dates works for you. I hope to be locking this in by August.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

All,

Looks like we will be planning this event for Sept.19th. There are 6 ZRs committed to going so far. I'd like to have 10+ . Anyone else want to chime in. We would be getting a plant tour of MMs facility that builds the
QV4C 9.0L motor, BBQ AND A TOUR OF THE MMR museum.
Mercury Marine is located in Fond du Lac, WI and is about a 150mi. trip north of Chicago.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

UPDATE.

While we are waiting for a final confirmation from Mercury Marine, there are now 9 confirmed ZRs planning on coming up for this. As part of this, our cars will be part of a car show for the MM employees. Let me know if you have an interest in participating. Sept 19 in Fond du Lac, WI.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 PM
ZRFAST1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
UPDATE.

While we are waiting for a final confirmation from Mercury Marine, there are now 9 confirmed ZRs planning on coming up for this. As part of this, our cars will be part of a car show for the MM employees. Let me know if you have an interest in participating. Sept 19 in Fond du Lac, WI.
add two more to the list for the 19th. of sept
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZRFAST1
add two more to the list for the 19th. of sept
Oh wow! Very cool. Is that 2 ZRs? And who is the second?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

ZRFast,

Have you posted over at the Registry? We have a thread there on this event.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Everyone,

Well I got a confirmation on this event , so WE ARE A GO! Sept 19. Here's the email I received and my response. Looks like we will be part of an employee car show. :proud:

Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:34 PM
To: dominic sorresso
Subject: Sept 19 Racing

Hello Dominic. As part of your visit we are planning the employee car show. We have a grass area off our parking lot that we've used in the past. it is moved as rather smooth - and level. But wanted to check with you to see if the guys have a concern regarding parking their cars on grass. Please advised. We're are very excited for your visit.

Rick

Rick Mackie
Mercury Racing
Senior Marketing Manager
rmackie@mercmarine.com

Rick,

Absolutely that would work! We attend several events where the venues have grassy display areas. 10-13 members are coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan have committed to bringing their cars to visit with your group. Would you provide some directions and an agenda so that I can share that with the participants? We’ll need to set a time for a go/no go depending on what the weather looks like for that day. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Dominic
Dominic J. Sorresso
630.240.5214 (C)
630.837.7956 (HO)
djsorresso@comcast.net
http://tinyurl.com/djsorresso
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Well I got a confirmation on this event , so WE ARE A GO! Sept 19. Here's the email I received and my response. Looks like we will be part of an employee car show.

Thanks for your work in setting this up
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM
ZRFAST1
Cruising

ZRFast,

Have you posted over at the Registry? We have a thread there on this event.
No Dom I have not...looked all over for it can't seem to find it. I'll try again.
I have a black 91 #37. Friend of mine also has a black 91 and he is going. Not sure if he is a member on this forum. I'm in Palatine he is in Maple park (DeKalb). We will be driving up together if you want to join us.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Here's the link to the thread on the Registry.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=209774#post209774

I think we should plan on meeting up in the Gurnee area off 94 at Rt.132.
Aside from those coming from WI and MN, most of us coming from Chicago and south can collect over there. Checking Apple Maps, that is 119mi. from Great America, or < 2hr. drive. In order to arrive at MMR by 10, we should be departing Gurnee by 8am. Sometime in the next week, we'll discuss a meetup in greater detail. Look at the thread and it will give you additional information. If possible, inidicate on that thread your attendance. I need to give MMR an accurate number of the ZRs that will be participating. This is shaping up to be a great event. Maybe we can talk MMR into showing up for the 25th Anniversary in BG next May.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM
ZRFAST1
Cruising

Here's the link to the thread on the Registry.

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=209774#post209774

I think we should plan on meeting up in the Gurnee area off 94 at Rt.132.
Aside from those coming from WI and MN, most of us coming from Chicago and south can collect over there. Checking Apple Maps, that is 119mi. from Great America, or < 2hr. drive. In order to arrive at MMR by 10, we should be departing Gurnee by 8am. Sometime in the next week, we'll discuss a meetup in greater detail. Look at the thread and it will give you additional information. If possible, inidicate on that thread your attendance. I need to give MMR an accurate number of the ZRs that will be participating. This is shaping up to be a great event. Maybe we can talk MMR into showing up for the 25th Anniversary in BG next May.
Done. Thanks for the link. Sounds like a great event, looking forward to it!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZRFAST1
Done. Thanks for the link. Sounds like a great event, looking forward to it!
What is the handle for your friend from DeKalb?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Spoke w Robert deMarco (cvette98pacecar) yesterday. Robert will be driving up Thursday night and staying in Gurnee. Once he has finalized his accomodations, we will meet up at his hotel BY 7:30AM on the 19th.
Need to be ready to roll by 8am heading up to FDL. Its 119mi. from Gurnee and the local constables will be on the prowl, no doubt.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 PM
ZRFAST1
Cruising

What is the handle for your friend from DeKalb?
When he does register here, I think it will be Scottskill or something like that......his name is Scott!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

All,

I think we should keep Gurnee as the rallying point even if DeMarco won't be staying there. It's a large exit, just look for the roller coaster, and it will be nearly as easy on/easy off as the oasis. It's a bit further north and closer. No more tolls beyond RT 137 also.
I can scout out some places in Gurnee Mills Mall area. There's an Applebee's, for example, right at the entrance. Gas if necessary also. Again, we shouldn't be heading out any later than 7:45 so need to be in Gurnee by 7:30.

To recap known participants:

1. Myself
2. Pete
3. DeMarco
4. Lgaff
5. Marc Haibeck
6. WarpTen
7. 4camJon
8. Paul Workman
9. Fred Haraf
10. ZRFast1
11. ghlkal
12. Crossfire
13. Scottskill

Pretty good group. Be nice to have an even 15. Since some will be coming from Minnesota and Wisconsin, maybe ghlkal can suggest a rendezvous point before we all pull into MM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default gathering place to regroup for Mercury Marine visit

Let’s “regroup” at the Pioneer Truck Plaza near Richfield, WI, exit 60 on US 41 (just after US 41 and US 45 “split”) There’s a McDonalds there too. IIRC they have BP (top tier) gas at the plaza.

This puts us about 45 miles from Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac. (US 41 N to US 151 E to county WH to county UU)

For those of you coming from Gurnee, it’s about 70 miles to Pioneer plaza. (I-94 into Wisconsin; near the airport take I-43S / I-894 bypass; continue on US 41 / US 45 North)

Guys coming from Minnesota and staying overnight Thursday … do you want to “catch” us on US 151? You could wait on the ramp from 23 (Johnson St), and someone could text you, or ??

This sounds like a great trip.

Gary
Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Gary,

Looks like a plan. Those of us coming up from Chicago should be ready to leave Gurnee no later than 7:30. That should put is at the Pioneer Truck Plaza in Richfield by 9. Then leaving plaza by 9:15 w arrival at MM by 10am. Those coming from another direction, will you meet us at truck plaza. Be great if we could arrive at MM in a group.

Get notified of new replies

To Mercury Marine Plant and Museum Tour

Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing how Mercury Marine is positioning our visit to their facilities. This should be loads of fun. So far looks like the weather will be working for us. Nice day for a drive.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Ok. Here's our schedule for heading up to Fond du Lac. Again, I would appreciate getting your confirmation that you'll be there.

1. Meetup for Chicago contingent by 7:30 am in Gurnee Mills Mall grounds

Here's a map of where we can meet. There is a McDonald's off Rt.132
Easy ON/Easy OFF. Grab coffee and/or McMuffin. There are also gas stations on 132 if that's needed. We will need to LEAVE Gurnee Mills by 7:45am and move onto Richfield meetup area at Pioneer Truck Stop as recommended by ghlkal(Gary).

Attached Map for Gurnee Mills meetup:

Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 PM
ZRFAST1
Cruising

Scott and I will be at Richfield 9am with walkie talkie radios on channel 1

Quick Reply: Mercury Marine Plant and Museum Tour