C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Car Audio in the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car Audio in the ZR1

I'm a little torn on this subject. My current stereo does not work, and honestly it is a bit annoying. Short drives are not a big deal. The exhaust sounds so good, but on a longer trip it will be annoying.

It has the stock radio in it now. I have been thinking of having it fixed which would consist of the Headunit and CDM that needs to be fixed. I also would have an AUX-in added at that time in order to use pandora in my car.

What is everyone's thinking on keeping the stock radio in the ZR1? I know these are low production cars and might actually go up in value someday(probably not mine because of the mileage). Would having a newer style radio a bad idea? Is there anyway I can use the stock speakers for a while until I can afford to replace them with aftermarket units?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

I am not so sure the CDM would fail...but maybe so.....that CDM is hard to remove and more difficult to replace correctly
I just send the CD player/radio to Doc Dons for upgrade.....and replace speaker amps with Nissan Max amps Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS

Note:.......I have removed and replaced a couple CDMs thinking the CDM was the issue (NOT the issue). I have also re-installed CDMs that were just sitting freely above and on the passenger side hush panel. No sound is often related to failed speaker amps. Lets see what others say as there are many very interesting sound system conversions that have been installed replacing the Bose.

Also....you can e-mail Doc Don and describe your symptoms for an expert opinion

Also.....do not break the tabs (one tab each side that is bolted (10 mm) to the CDM) on the plastic plate under the CDM or the tabs holding the CDM in place) that plastic plate has the inserts for holding the various electrical connectors. You can remove the electrical connector inserts by using needle nose pliers inserted above the plastic plate squeezing the tabs on the insert for removal from below the plastic plate. Then re-install the insert on to the electrical connector re-inserting the insert (with electrical connector attached) into the plastic plate when you are finished.

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dynomite
I am not so sure the CDM would fail...but maybe so.....that CDM is hard to remove and more difficult to replace correctly
I just send the CD player/radio to Doc Dons for upgrade.....and replace speaker amps with Nissan Max amps Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS
Doesn't the CDM need to be removed in order to have the AUX-In installed? I also thought most of the problems with the radio stem from the CDM unit.

Currently when I press a button for AM/FM/CD it does nothing on the headunit. It just displays the time as 1:00 PM. All fuses are good as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by billy mild
I'm a little torn on this subject. My current stereo does not work, and honestly it is a bit annoying. Short drives are not a big deal. The exhaust sounds so good, but on a longer trip it will be annoying.

It has the stock radio in it now. I have been thinking of having it fixed which would consist of the Headunit and CDM that needs to be fixed. I also would have an AUX-in added at that time in order to use pandora in my car.

What is everyone's thinking on keeping the stock radio in the ZR1? I know these are low production cars and might actually go up in value someday(probably not mine because of the mileage). Would having a newer style radio a bad idea? Is there anyway I can use the stock speakers for a while until I can afford to replace them with aftermarket units?
How many miles on your car? This answer will temper my response in so many different ways.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have no idea what your auto DIY experience is but I can tell you this,removing the CDM controller will be one of the most difficult jobs you will ever do.If mine dies again Ill spend the cash and tear it all out which in a sense would be a waste of money because the stock stereo kicks *** but anything to keep from removing that bastard CDM controller again.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
How many miles on your car? This answer will temper my response in so many different ways.
69,000 miles. In my Porsche 944 Turbo I got rid of the stock stereo ASAP. It was all bad. Speaker, headunit, etc. I went with a nice Kenwood Headunit with Bluetooth and pandora, 8" hidden sub, and new 4x6's all around. It was one of the nicest stereos I have heard to date. It was perfect.

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I have no idea what your auto DIY experience is but I can tell you this,removing the CDM controller will be one of the most difficult jobs you will ever do.If mine dies again Ill spend the cash and tear it all out which in a sense would be a waste of money because the stock stereo kicks *** but anything to keep from removing that bastard CDM controller again.
I'm decent. Not an expert, but not an amateur. I am not afraid of installing stuff.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

YANK it the car is no NCRS show car with 11 miles on it so enjoy. A lot of us have moved on to Bluetooth, voice command, nav units etc.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

I put a Pioneer AVIC D2 in mine, years ago. Never have missed the BOSE and all it's problems. However, it probably made the ZR1 worthless.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I have a D2 in my ZR also. Why would it make my ZR worthless?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I have a D2 in my ZR also. Why would it make my ZR worthless?
I think your sarcasm meter needs to be recalibrated,Dom. Karl was just joking.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1
I think your sarcasm meter needs to be recalibrated,Dom. Karl was just joking.
OH!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

They're not worth much any way's
Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a nexus 7 in mine for audio
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

A total rip and replace could be down the road. Should I just send my CDM module in to get worked on and go from there?

Is there a good tutorial to remove the CDM?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Maybe on Dr Don website
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I got a good used tuner (cdm) for $60. The speaker amps can be cheap- probably the speakers themselves are ok. expect the CD player to not work as well.

it's under the passenger side kick panel up inside the dash a ways. you can pretty much unscrew most of it without a ton of trouble, but I ended up getting impatient with one hard-to-reach plastic mounting tab- just snap it off and use velcro on the reinstall- it just makes the job 10 times easier. like others said- if you aren't a super low mileage NCRS candidate, just take the shortcut.

the later cars relocated that tuner to the storage bin behind the seat. it was factory installed with velcro there. That's where i got the idea.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike100
I got a good used tuner (cdm) for $60. The speaker amps can be cheap- probably the speakers themselves are ok. expect the CD player to not work as well.

it's under the passenger side kick panel up inside the dash a ways. you can pretty much unscrew most of it without a ton of trouble, but I ended up getting impatient with one hard-to-reach plastic mounting tab- just snap it off and use velcro on the reinstall- it just makes the job 10 times easier. like others said- if you aren't a super low mileage NCRS candidate, just take the shortcut.

the later cars relocated that tuner to the storage bin behind the seat. it was factory installed with velcro there. That's where i got the idea.
By shortcut I assume you mean putting a whole new stereo in?

Get notified of new replies

To Car Audio in the ZR1

Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

By shortcut I assume you mean putting a whole new stereo in?
no, I meant breaking the cdm mount by force so it doesn't take 7 hours to replace and half the dash board taken apart.

but just leaving it in the depths of the dash and unplugging the head unit would be a shortcut too (and maybe a better choice in your case). One of the major vette parts places (Zip) actually has a compatible head unit that bypasses the tuner, but allows the use of the original 1 ohm bose speakers and amps. This would likely be the most economical semi-replacement.

The stereos aren't double din format, but the kit comes with a filler plate and the other stuff you need to plug it in.

http://blog.zip-corvette.com/corvett...-1984-1996-c4/

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/7894/
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

A total rip and replace could be down the road. Should I just send my CDM module in to get worked on and go from there?

Is there a good tutorial to remove the CDM?
Theres a guy on Youtube taking one out but the easiest way,if there is one is to take out the seat-tracks and lay on your back.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Theres a guy on Youtube taking one out but the easiest way,if there is one is to take out the seat-tracks and lay on your back.
Here is the you tube video. I also agree that it is easier to just remove the seat. I had them install an auxiliary input into the CDM since it was out.

Quick Reply: Car Audio in the ZR1