C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Advice needed on installation options for vacuum controlled muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Advice needed on installation options for vacuum controlled muffler

It's time for exhuast version 6.0.
This time I am installing B and B Fusion mufflers.
Over the past few years I had ordered a new X pipe to replace my resonator, then new front pipes, then new rear pipes, all from B and B, but never got around to taking my exsiting B and B system off.
MY Fusions will be arriving Monday, so now I am trying to plan the best way to handle a vacuum source.
The car has two disguises.
The first is a full on NCRS Top Flight version, while the second is the DRM 500 modded version.
This is made possible by mostly reversable visable mods, and dealing with the points deductions for things like the coil overs brakes, and things thta I could reverse, but just don't bother with.
So whatever I do now, I do not want to make permanent changes.
My other concern is I do not want to somehow divert vacuum needed to open the secondaries to open the muffler valves.
Speed is far more fun than sound!
I have begun to think rather than sourcing vacuum from the engine and carrying it all of the way to the rear, that it might be better to add an electronic vacuum pump maybe possibly hiding it in with the spare, as a supply.
I recall seeing a wire back that way that on non Z's is for the spare tire light, which may or may not be a switchable power source, but you get the general idea.
What are your voices of experience suggesting?
The pumps, while pricey, 200-300, all draw 6 amps or under, and are controlled auotmatically.
This obviously elimintes the need to port off of an existing vaccuum source at the engine, then running hose all along the car to the mufflers.
Am I over thinking this, or what?
While I love the mufflerless solution currently on the car, just 3 inch pipes terminating in 5-6 inch polished tips, where the mufflers used to be, I was intrigued by the thought of switchable quiet and LOUD.
So I have a week or so to finalize the plan based on your suggestions so kindly share your thoughts and THANKS!
See you in Carlisle!!!!

Marty
NCRSZR1 (NJ)
Formerly 1FUNZR1 (NJ)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
It's time for exhuast version 6.0.
This time I am installing B and B Fusion mufflers.
Over the past few years I had ordered a new X pipe to replace my resonator, then new front pipes, then new rear pipes, all from B and B, but never got around to taking my exsiting B and B system off.
MY Fusions will be arriving Monday, so now I am trying to plan the best way to handle a vacuum source.
The car has two disguises.
The first is a full on NCRS Top Flight version, while the second is the DRM 500 modded version.
This is made possible by mostly reversable visable mods, and dealing with the points deductions for things like the coil overs brakes, and things thta I could reverse, but just don't bother with.
So whatever I do now, I do not want to make permanent changes.
My other concern is I do not want to somehow divert vacuum needed to open the secondaries to open the muffler valves.
Speed is far more fun than sound!
I have begun to think rather than sourcing vacuum from the engine and carrying it all of the way to the rear, that it might be better to add an electronic vacuum pump maybe possibly hiding it in with the spare, as a supply.
I recall seeing a wire back that way that on non Z's is for the spare tire light, which may or may not be a switchable power source, but you get the general idea.
What are your voices of experience suggesting?
The pumps, while pricey, 200-300, all draw 6 amps or under, and are controlled auotmatically.
This obviously elimintes the need to port off of an existing vaccuum source at the engine, then running hose all along the car to the mufflers.
Am I over thinking this, or what?
While I love the mufflerless solution currently on the car, just 3 inch pipes terminating in 5-6 inch polished tips, where the mufflers used to be, I was intrigued by the thought of switchable quiet and LOUD.
So I have a week or so to finalize the plan based on your suggestions so kindly share your thoughts and THANKS!
See you in Carlisle!!!!

Marty
NCRSZR1 (NJ)
Formerly 1FUNZR1 (NJ)
Marty PM me a number to call you I may have something to help you here.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Marty,I have a pair of Fusions for our 94 that haven't been installed yet,either. Was planning to put them on in the next week or two.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You don't need a pump, just a vacuum source with a 1-way check valve to store up vaccum to hold the diaphragms closed. the existing vacuum ball up front can be tapped into, or you can hide another one in the rear bumper of the car maybe. either way, I think it would be easier to run a vacuum hose to the rear rather than a 12v wire to a vacuum pump and reservoir. Remember the presence of vaccum= flappers closed and quiet.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I would agree w mike100. If the car is 91 or later, you could always pull the vacuum using a T off the charcoal canister accessible by removing the inner wheel well. There's a hard line from the factory that runs to the back. Install a solenoid and check valve. Then install whatever method you want to use to control opening and closing. mike100 uses MAP and TPS while I use just a Radio Shack rocker switch for manual operation.
I run w the valves closed most of the time. If I pull up to a ricer, I'll open them up
for effect.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed on installation options for vacuum controlled muffler

Quick Reply: Advice needed on installation options for vacuum controlled muffler