C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Buying my first ZR-1 this week! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
jemidyette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments everybody! I actually really like these wheels on mine. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is that it runs a bit hot when stopped or driving "spirited" with the ac on. I've heard of people having to check the relays. Anyone know how to do that? I'm also considering a Dewitt radiator.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:50 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

The stock cooling system on a ZR-1, IF OPERATING PROPERLY, is more thna sufficient to keep the LT-5 cool.
On cool fall days, I drive from the Phila area to the shore and rarely get to 190.
In the summer. with air on, the fans should be on constantly, air off, secondary fan comes on around 240 if I recall.
So if both of your fans were not running while air was on, you indeed have an issue.
Spend the new radiator money which you do not need, on the factory service manuals which are an absolute neccessity.
Congrats, and best of luck with your new Vette.
I also saw it at Carlisle.
NICE!

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER

BIG post script:
put on old clothes, lie on ground, and throughly inspect the area around the bottom of the radiator. It is a mouth breather big time, and as such sucks up all kinds of leaves trash debris cans small animals , well you get the idea, and that destroys your air flow. Inspect THOROUGHLY!

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 09-03-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add ps
Old 09-08-2014, 10:52 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jemidyette
Thanks for the comments everybody! I actually really like these wheels on mine. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is that it runs a bit hot when stopped or driving "spirited" with the ac on. I've heard of people having to check the relays. Anyone know how to do that? I'm also considering a Dewitt radiator.
I also notice that when I first bought my Z back in April. It was running hot (to me) with and without the AC running. I did not like how hot the temps were getting. So I purchased the "chip" from Marc Haibeck mainly because of the adjustments made to the cooling fans. Besides other benefits from getting the chip, this is what I liked the most.....
"Both of the cooling fans are turned on at 205 degrees. Both turn off at 200 degrees"
With my AC on depending on outside temp and vehicle speed, so forth & so forth, my temps are as low as 200* or as high as 217*, I am more than satisfied..........
As mentioned above, with not getting a new radiator.....

BTW, your Z looks great.....have fun & enjoy........ Tom
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that it has the relocated air temp sensor from the front of the throttle body.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 PM
justsox
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too just bought my first ZR1. 93 anniversary edition!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:16 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,080 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by justsox
I too just bought my first ZR-1. 93 anniversary edition!!!
Well,let's hear more about it! Congrats!

Quick Reply: Buying my first ZR-1 this week! What to do?