C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

A very tired ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
tankengine
Water Well Doctor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A very tired ZR-1

I'm lookiing for a ZR-1.

So, today while dangerously driving and surfing on my phone I found a 94 ZR-1 at a dealership. I called and spoke to the salesman. He said it was still there and it was nice and clean and bla, bla, bla and to call him when I could come in.

About lunch time I paid him a surprise visit and he gladly brought the Red ZR-1 with 51000 miles on it and let me have it all by myself. This is the first ZR-1 I have ever driven and only the fourth C4. I have looked at about twenty in person; LT-1's and LT-4's but only this Z. I'm slowly learning what to look for.

Here goes, Chrome ZR-1 wheels that are horribly rusted/corroded with chipping chrome. I guess he kept it parked it salt water. The LT-5 engine is a beast to look at. I spent 30 minutes with it idling in the parking lot while going over the rest of the car. Passenger seat inop, AC inop, tires about 50 %, Radio works, Only one key fob and it does not lock or unlock doors but does operate the hatch ok. Oh yeah, I notice the oil pressure gage seemed not to work while the engine was idling so I stepped on the gas for a gentle rev up. The tach said 3000 rpms but it sounded more like 5500-6000. The oil gage went up to 20. The weatherstripping looked acceptable but I would replace it. I did not remove the painted and with a few cracks in the paint targa top with the wrench I found in the console.

OK, lets take it for a spin. The clutch has plenty of bite but in my old school experienced mind felt like its about to need work. While not in motion I vigerously shifted from spinning neutral to every gear with satisfaction. I got it out on the road and stepped down on it a little and was impressed with what I'm told is a 405 HP engine. Later I stomped it after full engagement of 1st gear and it lit up the tires. I chose not to wring it out very far so I went to 2nd and it lit them up again and wanted to swap ends almost. Plenty of power on the remaining gears it seems. Police were eveywhere! At about 20-25 mph the speedometer said 55-60 so it has had some gear changing in the rear end. Also, the engine did not seem to be idling with any distinct smoothness, not to say like a camshaft loping or like that, it seemed more like it needed tweeking, tuning, or as I have heard, maybe Injectors? That could just be my lack of hearing LT-5's running ever.

If it were mine it would need new carpet, wheels, tires, AC work, serious cleaning underneath, maybe clutch/flywheel, and Oh, yes I forgot to mention Headlight gears. There is some trim pieces missing on one side, the paint seems acceptable, windows work but the passenger one is getting tired.

They want $22,000.00. I know its a ZR-1 but it seems to me that I could buy one from someone on or around the forum for 30-35 that never experienced these problems.

I'm sure one of you guys or gals would love to have your shot at it so call Texas Direct Buy in Stafford, Texas. I personally thing it's worth about $8,000/10,000.

Let me know who buys it and for how much.
thanks,

tankengine
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Sounds like it runs fine as all the issues you posted they can be fixed...$8-10k your dreaming...even in rough shape $15k+ just my thought... I'll let others post up.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
Sounds like it runs fine as all the issues you posted they can be fixed...$8-10k your dreaming...even in rough shape $15k+ just my thought... I'll let others post up.
Im with Steve...these cars will part out for close to 13k
Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

You are correct!
It is after all a 94.
Miles are rather modest
The issues?
That would be called deferred,now required maintenance, and most all regular c-4 stuff, nothing ZR-1related,no big surprise there.
The dealer is in dreamland if 22 is his number, ad is the op with 8-10.
15 to 17.5 as is
20 with most repairs made except clutch, if it needed it, the 1-2 shift wouldn't have been near sideways fun!
What color is it and serial #?
While I am not in love with cars that have not been properly maintained, such as this one, it would be difficult to imagine anything seriously wrong given his driving results.
Someone lived the motor, and ignored the toys that were breaking.
Just my $0.02

Marty
NCRSZR1
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
tankengine
Water Well Doctor
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the experience you guys are sharing my way. The 13K parting out probably correct if that's your game. It might have been the oil pressure gage in error but I don't think so. I throttled it up after driving it sitting still and got a little over 20 maybe 25 psi. I understand low oil pressure is OK and maybe thats how an LT5 works. It just looked scary at that moment. Also, is the 94 ZR-1 supposed to have the Dunn Heads?

One thing is for sure, the ZR-1 or at least this one wants to be driven hard. If this one has 405 HP and drives like that what do the newer ones feel like?

Is there a site you can obtain Previous owners names etc. with the Vin? Not wanting to invade to much on a persons privacy but would surely like to learn more about several cars that are on the dealers lot.

The vin on this Red ZR-1 is 1G1YZ22J7R5800121

thanks,

tankengine
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Lots of info, here, oil may be as simple as the sending unit they are know to go bad.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,081 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

More than a few people have looked at that particular ZR-1.
None were impressed.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your smoking them in second the motor is good, 15K ?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 AM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For 22, you can get a really nice one with similar mileage.

I passed on a 91 with 17k miles for $18k with similar issues and have exactly zero regrets. For the price Nd my time to fix all the neglect, I could just buy one done.

The oil pressure may or may not be an issue. Most parts store sending units are badly calibrated, but, after I tested 3 or 4 different units, they ALL read higher than actual, not low. Sometimes they fail low, but usually they read erratic. The best way to know for sure is to hook up a mechanical gauge.

Worst case scenario, low pressure is an indication of a mechanical issue, like a failing pump or spun bearing. It is NOT normal on a ZR-1 ....if anything, he LT5 has higher pressures than I'm used to seeing on other motors.

Honestly, I think, from your description, the car is worth mid teens, but I'd pass unless you're looking for a potential money pit. Neglect where you can see it means lots more where you can't.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 AM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and LT5s are very smooth unless there's something wrong.....assuming its not a wild setup. Could be vacuum leaks or a number of other things.

Injectors, by 1994, are made to be compatible with modern gas and aren't considered a trouble spot. It's the earlier ZR-1s that have the injectors that get eaten by the new fuel.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry but its all general C-4 BS parts you describe.

But for giggles I checked it out and saw it on ebay.

your definition of Very tired is WAY different than mine.

when I say tired the paint needs work the interior will have some issues.

When you have parts that are easy to change its not tired it just needs love.

I guess you are a Supper waxer and thats why you call this tired.

The ZR-1 goodies sound like they are in great shape and that is what you want when getting a ZR-1.

wheels and weatherstripping are EASY to replace.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-CALL-NOW-1994-chevy-corvette-zr-1-6-spd-leather-chrome-wheels-31-k-texas-direct-/191282659578?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2c8955c0fa&item=191282659578&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM
SAM/CH ZR-1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
I saw this ZR-1 in many internet sites with different prices. First wanted also to buy but after what I've read it's maybe better to keep the fingers away from.

Sam
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by phrogs
Mileage is actually 31k not 51k
Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Lots of info, here, oil may be as simple as the sending unit they are know to go bad.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx
Also look here for sale cars
Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Dime
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just right ahead and say it. That car is a pass at 22K big time. You can find a nice ZR-1 with some work done to it for that much or even a little less.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an email on his particular car stating all of the damage, I was highly disappointed due to the poor representation of the car. As others have said walk away, there is a reason why this car has not sold and its been for sale quite some time.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 PM
tankengine
Water Well Doctor
Support Corvetteforum!

I made an offer on the ZR-1 via email to the advertised salesman to see what would happen. He responded to say the only discount one would ever get from them is from 50 to 500 dollars period. Then a few days later he came back with "the car is sold." So if the above is true I guess this Z was worth a lot more than I thought.

Anyone of you guys happen to be the new owner?

Like I said before, I would like to know how much the car sold for.

Get notified of new replies

To A very tired ZR-1

Quick Reply: A very tired ZR-1