C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ignition Module???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
bassplayer27360
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Module???

OK, so here's the latest. My car has been running like crap for a while now. I took it in to my local Chevy store, as I can't work on it myself, and after two days of diagnosis, they tell me it needs an ignition module and four coils, to the tune of $970 with me providing the ignition module, as they can no longer get one. They tell me "it's missing all over the place". What do you guys think?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bassplayer27360
OK, so here's the latest. My car has been running like crap for a while now. I took it in to my local Chevy store, as I can't work on it myself, and after two days of diagnosis, they tell me it needs an ignition module and four coils, to the tune of $970 with me providing the ignition module, as they can no longer get one. They tell me "it's missing all over the place". What do you guys think?
Ignition Modules rarely fail, I've only heard of 2 or 3 actual failures over the last 10 years. They are ZR1 specific and of course no longer made.
Coil packs are not all that expensive, nor that difficult to replace.
It will require pulling the plenum, but that's not nearly as difficult as it looks.
It can easily be done in one afternoon.
Change the spark plug wires while you are in there.

DO NOT TRUST the local Chebby shop, it is extremely doubtful that the tech has ever seen a LT5 much less work on one.

If you really do need an ignition module (and again, I think it's very doubtful) check with the guru's, VanDorn, Haibec, or Henderson or White Racing. Someone will know where to get one, but be prepared to spend a large sum on a very small part.

'Crabs
Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabs
Ignition Modules rarely fail, I've only heard of 2 or 3 actual failures over the last 10 years. They are ZR1 specific and of course no longer made.
Coil packs are not all that expensive, nor that difficult to replace.
It will require pulling the plenum, but that's not nearly as difficult as it looks.
It can easily be done in one afternoon.
Change the spark plug wires while you are in there.

DO NOT TRUST the local Chebby shop, it is extremely doubtful that the tech has ever seen a LT5 much less work on one.

If you really do need an ignition module (and again, I think it's very doubtful) check with the guru's, VanDorn, Haibec, or Henderson or White Racing. Someone will know where to get one, but be prepared to spend a large sum on a very small part.

'Crabs
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm in Charlotte and would be more than happy to ride up in the next few days and help you out.

Do you have basic tools?

Can you get the coils and a new set of plug?

You will also need a new set of plenum to injector housing gasket. Jerrysgasket.com

As the other two gentlemen said highly unlikely it being DIM related.

We can most likely have you fixed up and running like a top in a couple hours?

Brad
Old 08-28-2014, 09:53 PM
bassplayer27360
Intermediate

Originally Posted by z06scentair
I'm in Charlotte and would be more than happy to ride up in the next few days and help you out.

Do you have basic tools?

Can you get the coils and a new set of plug?

You will also need a new set of plenum to injector housing gasket. Jerrysgasket.com

As the other two gentlemen said highly unlikely it being DIM related.

We can most likely have you fixed up and running like a top in a couple hours?

Brad
That would be awesome Brad! I told them I needed my car back around 3 and they said they'd call me when to pick it up. I bet they pulled the plenum. I also bet its not the ignition module.

In December 2012 I replaced the injectors with FIC new units, spark plugs and wires, and one coil pack.

I will message you when I get the car back. I have basic tools and can get some gaskets from Jerrys. It will probably be later next week before I get the parts. I really appreciate your help.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Originally Posted by bassplayer27360
That would be awesome Brad! I told them I needed my car back around 3 and they said they'd call me when to pick it up. I bet they pulled the plenum. I also bet its not the ignition module.

In December 2012 I replaced the injectors with FIC new units, spark plugs and wires, and one coil pack.

I will message you when I get the car back. I have basic tools and can get some gaskets from Jerrys. It will probably be later next week before I get the parts. I really appreciate your help.
Just let me know!
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Try a different ECM yet?

That's what was wrong with my car and it seems they fail way more than anything else.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:57 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Originally Posted by phrogs
Try a different ECM yet?

That's what was wrong with my car and it seems they fail way more than anything else.
Johnny,

What were the symptoms? Any root cause as to the ECM failure?

Brad
Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

You are in NC. Take it South Georgia Corvette for a more expert look at it. Whatever you do, DO NOT let them discard your DIS module. It probably is good.

I would NEVER take a ZR-1 to any GM dealer.....ever.....
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Johnny,

What were the symptoms? Any root cause as to the ECM failure?

Brad
I had the #6 primary injector not firing, all the troubleshooting led me to a bad ECM.

Exactly what I have no idea. I need to send it out for a rebuild.
Keep forgetting to do that.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM
B52
Cruising

Don't forget to dielectric grease the spark plug boots as that is also a source of misfire.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Module???

Quick Reply: Ignition Module???