C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

looking for 1103841 spark control module

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DZielinski
They have the (2) ZR-1 part numbers for the ECUs towards the bottom left corner on the webpage. Mine happened to be the 1228331. Their part number 51-8331.

ZRI OE# 1228331, 16163993
Good Deal

Hope this corrects the issue.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

SIA called that they are ready to ship it back. They found numerous bad solder connections. They fixed it the same day they received. Awesome service. Now waiting to get it back and put it in the car.
They have the (2) ZR-1 part numbers for the ECUs towards the bottom left corner on the webpage. Mine happened to be the 1228331. Their part number 51-8331.

ZRI OE# 1228331, 16163993

SIA 90'-91'- ZR-1 ECM Repair
Keep us posted on the re-installation
And.....I am assuming they will repair 90' through 95' ZR-1 ECMs as I think only the chip is different

ECM Interchangeability TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:57 AM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Same price for 90-95 ECU repair. Just the part number is different.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:48 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Keep us posted on the re-installation
And.....I am assuming they will repair 90' through 95' ZR-1 ECMs as I think only the chip is different

ECM Interchangeability TIPS
Cliff,

If indeed it does solve, this should be a sticky add to your tech tips on the Net.

Brad
Old 09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Cliff,

If indeed it does solve, this should be a sticky add to your tech tips on the Net.

Brad
Yep....but will wait to make sure

And....if in fact they found Numerous bad solder connections I would assume this is NOT an isolated case. Unless someone was trying something new on the ECM with a soldering iron

SIA called that they are ready to ship it back. They found numerous bad solder connections. They fixed it the same day they received. Awesome service. Now waiting to get it back and put it in the car.

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Any Update?
Old 09-27-2014, 01:08 PM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

Any Update?
Sorry for not updating the thread recently. I received the ECU last week. Installed it back in the car, but still no spark to any of the spark plugs when the engine is cranked. I cranked it over for about 5-7 seconds with no spark at the plug. I have the DIS remounted back under the top of the manifold with the 4 screws and enough compound for good insulation but I only have the top of the manifold screwed to the bottom with 4 screws as I did not know if I would have to remove it back to get to the DIS again but wanted to make sure I had a ground connection from the engine to the top of the manifold and the DIS. I did not see any separate ground wires that looked like they should be connected.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Sorry for not updating the thread recently. I received the ECU last week. Installed it back in the car, but still no spark to any of the spark plugs when the engine is cranked. I cranked it over for about 5-7 seconds with no spark at the plug. I have the DIS remounted back under the top of the manifold with the 4 screws and enough compound for good insulation but I only have the top of the manifold screwed to the bottom with 4 screws as I did not know if I would have to remove it back to get to the DIS again but wanted to make sure I had a ground connection from the engine to the top of the manifold and the DIS. I did not see any separate ground wires that looked like they should be connected.
No more grounds that I can think of. Did you verify the connections in the rear of the module? They pulled up tight and no bent pins?

Also pull the memcal back out of the computer and turn it around, try and crank again.

Last edited by z06scentair; 09-27-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

No more grounds that I can think of. Did you verify the connections in the rear of the module? They pulled up tight and no bent pins?

Also pull the memcal back out of the computer and turn it around, try and crank again.
I will check for bent pins to the DIS module, but I can't open the CPU box because it has a "warranty void if broken" tag on it after it was repaired.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

I will check for bent pins to the DIS module, but I can't open the CPU box because it has a "warranty void if broken" tag on it after it was repaired.
I would open the memcal door and verify it has the correct prom for your car. ZR vs. Standard are different.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:45 PM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

I would open the memcal door and verify it has the correct prom for your car. ZR vs. Standard are different.
what is the memcal? The car ran fine until it died so I don't see how it could have ran ok before if it had a wrong prom.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:47 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

what is the memcal? The car ran fine until it died so I don't see how it could have ran ok before if it had a wrong prom.
Just wondering if during the repair it was changed.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Turn the ignition to ON, not Start. Note the Service Engine light. Did it flash ONCE and then stay on or does it flicker?
The ECM actually has nothing to do w the start sequence. The DIS handles getting the motor to 400rpm, then hands off spark control to the ECM once that is reached. Do you show oil pressure when u crank motor?

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 09-28-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Turn the ignition to ON, not Start. Note the Service Engine light. Did it flash ONCE and then stay on or does it flicker?
The ECM actually has nothing to do w the start sequence. The DIS handles getting the motor to 400rpm, then hands off spark control to the ECM once that is reached. Do you show oil pressure when u crank motor?
The battery is low so it is hard to crank, but here is what happens.

-When I open the car door the SECURITY light comes on and starts flashing.
-When I put the key in ignition SECURITY light goes out.
-When I turn the key 1 position the SERVICE ENGINE light flickers 1 time then stays on.
-When I crank the engine, there is no oil pressure for a few seconds, but it eventually builds up and starts indicating oil pressure on the gauge. By the time the oil pressure gauge starts indicating oil pressure, the starter starts slowing down and the dash lights go out as the battery is dying. I used a fast battery charger/starter to crank it over.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

The battery is low so it is hard to crank, but here is what happens.

-When I open the car door the SECURITY light comes on and starts flashing.
-When I put the key in ignition SECURITY light goes out.
-When I turn the key 1 position the SERVICE ENGINE light flickers 1 time then stays on.
-When I crank the engine, there is no oil pressure for a few seconds, but it eventually builds up and starts indicating oil pressure on the gauge. By the time the oil pressure gauge starts indicating oil pressure, the starter starts slowing down and the dash lights go out as the battery is dying. I used a fast battery charger/starter to crank it over.
Looks to me that ECM is working. I would definitely replace the battery at this point.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:18 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the factory service manual? It will have a troubleshooting tree for your spark problem. I do not know how to work on these cars without one. OBD2 is more universal, but these OBD1 systems were different for every manufacturer.

In the past, I have left a plug disconnected under the plenum resulting in a no-start and the engine just cranks. There is also a diagnostic plug by the master cylinder to do some basic troubleshooting. It is there so you do not have to remove the plenum to troubleshoot.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 AM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

Does this mean that in a start condition the DIS is the only device that would fire the coils and the plugs? If that is true, then the DIS must be my problem. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for 1103841 spark control module

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 AM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by blownrunner
Do you have the factory service manual? It will have a troubleshooting tree for your spark problem. I do not know how to work on these cars without one. OBD2 is more universal, but these OBD1 systems were different for every manufacturer.

In the past, I have left a plug disconnected under the plenum resulting in a no-start and the engine just cranks. There is also a diagnostic plug by the master cylinder to do some basic troubleshooting. It is there so you do not have to remove the plenum to troubleshoot.
I have the Electrical Manual but no service manual. Is one available somewhere on the line? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

The DIS controls startup. If it isn't starting then either DIS or something that signals the DIS to start could be the culprit.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM
DZielinski
Heel & Toe

The DIS controls startup. If it isn't starting then either DIS or something that signals the DIS to start could be the culprit.
Thanks. I will continue to look for a DIS module or see if someone can repair mine.

Quick Reply: looking for 1103841 spark control module