C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 zr-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Boneyard
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 zr-1

I committed to a 91 ZR-1 today from Gateway Classic cars in Louisville. It has 13,500 mies on it and I spent 27,000 on it. It seems to be clean. Anybody know anything about this car Im a rookie at this and this will be my first car in the dream of starting a collection. I had it inspected it and inspection was good. Also wondered what thoughts on appreciation are? Thanks first time poster.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Buy it because you want it. I have had mine almost 4 years and the prices are still dropping on all but the rarest examples (1995's mainly). Clean 6 spd C4's and Lt4's seem to be on the rise in value, but the ZR-1 is in a tough spot since it competes with very nice used modern cars in the $20k range.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Welcome aboard.

The Z looks to be in great shape
http://gatewayclassiccars.com/louisv...ette-S807.html
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 AM
domesticpower
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice example, respect it, drive it and enjoy it these cars may be at the bottom of the curve right now but, let us know after you have driven this for 1,000 miles if there is anything else out there that will put that smile on your face for the same $. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NOT !, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the madness.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Boneyard
4th Gear

Default Zr-1

Originally Posted by domesticpower
Very nice example, respect it, drive it and enjoy it these cars may be at the bottom of the curve right now but, let us know after you have driven this for 1,000 miles if there is anything else out there that will put that smile on your face for the same $. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NOT !, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the madness.
Thanks for the input guys. I plan to drive a few hundred miles a year and hopefully see it go up in value. But if it doesn't start to climb I will drive.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:16 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congrats & Welcome, Sorry but cars do not often make good investments. With that go out an enjoy it, you will find the ZR-1 a very intoxicating car to drive. I said the same thing when I got my first only had 9k miles that was in 02 now has 54k miles of smiles. Most of us also belong to the club over on the ZR-1 .net join us and help the legion live. Now post up some pics.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by We Gone
Congrats & Welcome, Sorry but cars do not often make good investments. With that go out an enjoy it, you will find the ZR-1 a very intoxicating car to drive. I said the same thing when I got my first only had 9k miles that was in 02 now has 54k miles of smiles. Most of us also belong to the club over on the ZR-1 .net join us and help the legion live. Now post up some pics.
I agree 100% with Steve

I bought mine with 20k miles 10+ years ago and have over 81k miles enjoying EVERY MILE!!!

Enjoy it and don't save it for the next owner!!!!

We see it happen all the time

David
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes in due time the price will climb on ZR-1's. It appears you have purchased a very nice example that apears very close to stock from the detailed photo's

These were very special cars then and now, and have a significant place in automotive history.

The key to any collector car as an investment is this. )1 low miles, )2 clean and maintained, )3 Market Following, )4 stock as it left the assembly line.

Investing in nice automobiles with low mileage, and keeping them that way will always yeild ROI if you keep them long enough.

Beautiful car with the right color combination! Congrats!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Boneyard
4th Gear

Default Zr-1

Thanks again to everyone for the input. I will get on ZR-1.net and will post many more pice with inspection as soon as I figure out how to do it. I section came back great and I have about 140 pics from the inspector. Im pumped and can't wait to take delivery on Thursday or Friday. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default 91 zr-1

Welcome

Very Nice 1991 ZR-1 you bought

Originally Posted by Boneyard
Thanks again to everyone for the input. I will post many more pice with inspection as soon as I figure out how to do it. Im pumped and can't wait to take delivery on Thursday or Friday. Thanks again!
Here is a photo start for ya

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-06-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Welcome

Very Nice 1991 ZR-1 you bought

Here is a photo start for ya

beautiful car.-- looks like it still has the original gatorback tires.

if you plan on driving it at any distance or any high speeds, I would get these replaced. Hang on to the original tires. and if you sell in the future, having these available will enhance its value. I had a 91 zr1 and loved it.

The problems I had were speaker amps were cracking. I bought and replaced the amps myself for 50 bucks.

Also had problems with the secondary injectors. ethnanoyl fuels caused problems in the injectors. If those have not been replaced your looking at 800 to 2k depending on whether you
do the labor yourself. There was an upgrade to the injectors after 1993 -- If I recall correctly.

The lines that go to the oil cooler always wept. This was a known problem on all cars. you can replace them or take the lines off and take them to a shop that specializes in hydraulic hose repair(that's what I did with mine.

On the injectors, mine ran fine on the primary injectors, but when I turned the power key on , and accelerating full throttle it ran rough, if I turned the power key to normal and floored it the car ran fine.

The other problem I had was the secondary actuators were not full opening. its kind of like butterflies on the secondaries of a 4 barrel carbuerator. the actuators on mine were installed upside down from the factory. -- this was a known problem on 90s and 91's as I recall from Gordon killebrew when I called his hotline as the car was not performing. it would fall flat at 5500 rpm. it wouldn't rev to redline.

don't ever turn a hose on the motor to wash it. the starter is under the plenum and if it gets wet, I recall owners having problems starting the car.

The plenum isn't difficult to remove to check the starter, alternator or injectors. it takes time especially being careful not to knick anything up.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-07-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Another Don
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your new ride. From the pics it looks to be in great shape.

If I were you (and this is what I did when I got mine last summer) is get all of the fluids changed. Everybody keeps the oil changed, but the brake, rear end, and tranny fluids are often postponed. Probably time for them to be swapped for fresh fluid unless you know they've been changed out in the last 5, or so, years.

And don't overlook the coolant. If it has 20 year old anti-freeze, it needs new stuff.
Right now, the tires are problematic. Goodyear no longer makes the GS-C Gatorbacks and the replacement, Goodyear F1 GS D-3 is currently on hiatus. Nobody has any of them. I emailed Goodyear and asked when these tires would be back in production and they replied that there is currently no scheduled production of these tires. Bottomline is that there is very limited selection for fat replacement tires that have a 17" hole.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 zr-1

Quick Reply: 91 zr-1