C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need advice on Shelby Series 1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Need advice on Shelby Series 1 wheels

I just got a set all 4 are 18X10 and will be going on my non Z 91. I got the wheels and they are in great shape but peeling from the centers in a couple of spots. I plan on redoing them myself.

I have redone wheels in the past but never a 3 piece. The plan is to take them apart stip the centers and either repaint or polish them. where they are peeling the finish looks pretty smooth underneath.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

There's a guy on the zr1netregistry.com that polishes Shelby wheels.

You may want to check with him if you decide to polish or get a buffer and get after them yourself. shouldn't be hard to do either way.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Contact user -=JEFF=- here on the CF, he had his centers refinished and bought new hardware to reassemble them. I could pass on to you how I feel it should be done and could be, I'm familiar with the hardware but he actually has purchased in the past 10 or so months so I'd just contact him.

You should have no issues and quite frankly I believe I'd likely have the centers done by someone (a wheel refinisher), if you were to buy the appropriate materials for the job to do them I don't believe you could be much less expensive. Most refinishers warranty their paint or powder for the duration. If you're planning on a refinish of your own you've got the stripping, the aluminum wash for the bare materials, the two part urethane and then finally the urethane clear. Not inexpensive materials.

Here is one of his threads regarding the project:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=shelby

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-19-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:56 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Contact user -=JEFF=- here on the CF, he had his centers refinished and bought new hardware to reassemble them. I could pass on to you how I feel it should be done and could be, I'm familiar with the hardware but he actually has purchased in the past 10 or so months so I'd just contact him.

You should have no issues and quite frankly I believe I'd likely have the centers done by someone (a wheel refinisher), if you were to buy the appropriate materials for the job to do them I don't believe you could be much less expensive. Most refinishers warranty their paint or powder for the duration. If you're planning on a refinish of your own you've got the stripping, the aluminum wash for the bare materials, the two part urethane and then finally the urethane clear. Not inexpensive materials.

Here is one of his threads regarding the project:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ghlight=shelby
Thanks for the info, I used to paint cars and have experience striping and refinishing wheels but I have never taken apart a 3 piece wheel. I also have a paint gun and a little clear laying around so some of the cost is covered there.

I should be able to reuse all the hardware it's in pretty good shape. I have also thought about doing it without taking it apart and I may just try one to see how it comes out.

I am also not sure about tire size yet. I saw some Guys are running 275/35s but If I can get more meat in there ill do it.

Last edited by ch@0s; 12-19-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 AM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Contact user -=JEFF=- here on the CF, he had his centers refinished and bought new hardware to reassemble them.
Agree with Dave that you should contact Jeff for advice.

I polished my current set of Shelby wheels and have been happy with the results. I re-used the original hardware but my wheels were new out of box when I did so. When I reassembled the wheels I used blue loctite and torqued fasteners to 18 ft/lbs, each fastener opposite of last.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1

I polished my current set of Shelby wheels and have been happy with the results. I re-used the original hardware but my wheels were new out of box when I did so. When I reassembled the wheels I used blue loctite and torqued fasteners to 18 ft/lbs, each fastener opposite of last.

Wow those look great.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottC95ZR1

Difficult to tell but are your centers mounted to the "outside"? Are all four of yours done similarly? Which way are the centers mounted "out of the box" for the offsets as advertised?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:08 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Difficult to tell but are your centers mounted to the "outside"? Are all four of yours done similarly? Which way are the centers mounted "out of the box" for the offsets as advertised?
I already got them apart and stripped two of them my centers are on the inside.

Thanks for the help, you lead me in the right direction.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588531600
Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 PM
ScottC95ZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New the centers are mounted inboard but to clear C5Z brakes one must move them outboard with spacer. I left the rears as new because I like the deep lip and you give some of that up when you move centers to outside.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have had my wheel centers inboard and outboard.. currently the fronts are inboard for my Wilwoods, but fr the Brembos and C5 brakes they were outboard..

For the rears, I have them inboard as they sit in slightly but again I have 10s and 12s

For tires i think you can do a 285 maybe even a 305 if you can find oe

I run 275/35 and 335/30 on my 10s and 12s
Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I have had my wheel centers inboard and outboard.. currently the fronts are inboard for my Wilwoods, but fr the Brembos and C5 brakes they were outboard..

For the rears, I have them inboard as they sit in slightly but again I have 10s and 12s

For tires i think you can do a 285 maybe even a 305 if you can find oe

I run 275/35 and 335/30 on my 10s and 12s
Thanks Jeff
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same with Shelby's, but with
another brand 3 piece rims, you have to seal them
with a silicone adhesive/sealer or they will leak air.
Don't ask me how I know.....
Old 12-21-2014, 06:39 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
I'm not sure if it's the same with Shelby's, but with
another brand 3 piece rims, you have to seal them
with a silicone adhesive/sealer or they will leak air.
Don't ask me how I know.....

yes they are the same.
I broke the seal but I did not need to.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on Shelby Series 1 wheels

Quick Reply: Need advice on Shelby Series 1 wheels