C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Tire Recommendation

Posted this in the Tech/Performance section also. I am looking for a great handling Street compound Dry tire (don't care about the rain) in the 315 35R17 size and 275 40R17 size.
Looks like choices are limited in a street tire (non race compound). Options are the Nitto NT05, Khumo Ecsta XS, Mickey Thompson Street Comp. I am replacing my Goodyear GSD3s.
I honestly never cared for the Goodyear GSD3 and thought my OEM Goodyear GSCs handled better.
What tire of the three: Nitto NT05 (not R), Khumo Ecsta XS, Mickey Thompson Street Comp has good dry traction and quick steering response? Or if there is another tire I have overlooked (ultimate dry traction) please let me know. Also if anyone has had experience with the three tires I mentioned above and think they are not as good as the Goodyear GSD3s (which means I would probably go back to the GSD3s).

Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

If you're staying w 17s, I'd look at Vredestein also.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at Toyo Proxes R888. They're designed as a street legal competition tire, super sticky. But if you don't put a lot of miles on your car, they might be just the ticket.
They look good, cheap too, and the tread pattern puts a lot of meat on the street.
There was a thread over on the Registry site that was just raving about them, but I can't find it.
I think they're my choice for the next set of tires.

If anyone as experience with them, please post.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 AM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nittos went on the 'ol turq last summer - no Kuhmos were available then - they are round and black and about the best value - stick pretty good too.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Iowa_ZR1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on the Nitto NT01 in both 315/35 & 275/40 sizes on my 1990 ZR1 last summer, couldn't be happier, they are extremely sticky. I don't expect them to last long, probably less than 5000 miles, but for me that will be nearly 10 years...I'm planning to replace every 4-5 years depending on when they get hard. I had the Goodyear F1 SuperCar tires prior to that, they were amazing...but these are even better. Made an afternoon track day a real treat.

Good luck in your search...it took me several months to finally decide on the combination that I put on my car.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 PM
C4Fanatic
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitto 555 for me, great price, good wear.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 PM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may consider selling my set of NT05's this spring. Less than 1200 miles on them. Getting a set of GSD3's. PM me if interested. Car is in storage.

Stay Frosty!
Stephen
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Where did you find GSD3's
Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Funny I never liked my GSD3 Goodyears, strictly from a dry perspective they were fairly sticky compared to the OEM GSC's but from the day I had them mounted my steering response decreased (turn in was not as crisp), they were not as stable at high speed compared to the GSC's either.
This and the price is why I want to stay away from the GSD3's.
I have been looking at the Mickey Thompson Sport Comp tires and they are very reasonably priced, the Mustang and Camaro guys seem to like them.
Wondering if anyone has tried them out on the Corvette?
Thanks again for all your feedback it helps
Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I accually have a brand new set of the Mickey Thompson's in my garage, 315/35/17, Love the look of the tire and its a wide 315 no doubt, but the compound is 300, so its a fairly hard tire which will last many burnouts. I am putting them on my cobra for Daily driving. I paid like 240 shipped for both, lol. For the money I am not gonna complain cause the Cobra likes it torque and eats its rubber.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 PM
killshots
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
Take a look at Toyo Proxes R888. They're designed as a street legal competition tire, super sticky. But if you don't put a lot of miles on your car, they might be just the ticket.
They look good, cheap too, and the tread pattern puts a lot of meat on the street.
There was a thread over on the Registry site that was just raving about them, but I can't find it.
I think they're my choice for the next set of tires.

If anyone as experience with them, please post.
LOVED mine. Very wide, and almost impossible to break loose. (IF you like that!)
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Anything outside of an objective wet/dry test, using the same car with the same size tires and the same skid pad becomes ambiguous in varying degrees. So, such a test would have a lot more weight than subjective "data".

But, that said, I've had the D3's and now the Nitto 555 (front) and the 555r (drag radial - rear). Best I can tell the Nittos are significantly better in my driving experience, with perhaps the wet being the only thing where the D3's performed very well, but I've not the opportunity to test the Nittos in the same circumstances (yet).

I mention price last, because performance (to me) is the primary consideration. But, FWIW, the Nittos are roughly half the price, and much more available to boot.

I'll buy the Nittos again.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-28-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
But, that said, I've had the D3's and now the Nitto 555 (front) and the 555r (drag radial - rear). Best I can tell the Nittos are significantly better in my driving experience, with perhaps the wet being the only thing where the D3's performed very well, but I've not the opportunity to test the Nittos in the same circumstances (yet).

I'll buy the Nittos again.

FRONT........................................ ..............................REAR
Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance..................................Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial
P275/40ZR-17 98W........................................ .............315/35R-17 102V B
........................................ .........

See Tires and Selective Ride Control

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-28-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Recommendation

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation