C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

For the experts I COME IN PEACE !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Tom,

Just for arguments sake among friends, because I will concede that a STOCK LS3 takes a STOCK LT.-5, but I found this dyno run of a stock LS-3

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1572603315

Looks to me it runs out of gas real fast after 6k and that a 93-95 stock
LT-5 would give it a run. One other point on top end has to do with aero.
Frontal area of a C6 is greater than a C4. Just something else to consider.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Right, I agree with you that the C6 frontal area is larger, and power noses over "quickly"...but the LS3 is still quicker accelerating, and also has a higher top speed. Why?

More power, less weight, or some of both.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-24-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:23 PM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I AM calling you out. Go race your car, post the results! Geeze man!

And once again, one day I may own a ZR-1, and if I do, I won't lie to myself about what it can't do. In the mean time, I've had to rely on test drives of ZR-1's that aren't worth buying.
You need to buy my 95 4K mile ZR1 in PC although the car is in ST. George for the Winter..
Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Right, I agree with you that the C6 frontal area is larger, and power noses over "quickly"...but the LS3 is still quicker accelerating, and also has a higher top speed. Why?

More power, less weight, or some of both.
Tom,

You are charming to the last.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Sorry Dom...Not sure how or why what I'm saying would be offensive.
One question you have raised is: '93^ cars are rated higher. I have never heard of them running faster than earlier cars. (?)

Originally Posted by ZR1OUS
You need to buy my 95 4K mile ZR1 in PC although the car is in ST. George for the Winter..
Love to. At least have a look. We should try to cross paths this spring, after some rain washes the salt away. Wait, that might happen Tuesday!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-25-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:57 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Attached is a concise primer on the C-4 ZR-1.
While written a few years ago, it captures many highlights.
To those considering a purchase, you could make many far worse choices.

Perhaps some revel in comparing models 25 years apart, however I cannot ever recall ZR-1 owners gushing over the performance gains of the ZR-1 over C-2 or C-3 iconic big blocks, but maybe things were different then.

While a 57 Fuelie, or a 427/435 may not be able to keep up with my ZR-1, I have never felt compelled to point that out to owners when I meet them, and throwing up car test results like they were my personal achievements, as I am usually too wide-eyed from admiring their car to even think of such things.

A Corvette ZR-1 needs no defender. As time goes by it will surely join the ranks of earlier iconic, water-shed models, that forever changed the
performance landscape. I have watched the reaction to my car intensify year after year, and I see no reason that this will change.

When driving with other owners of newer, better, faster, they often comment upon reaching our destination, that they couldn't seem to put my headlights further behind when they jumped on it. I will now simply tell them that it must be "magic".

Time has not stood still since 1995.

Newer models have pushed the envelope even further, and will lead the way to even greater levels of performance than could have ever even been envisioned earlier in the cars history.
While the breed improves, it doesn't lessen the importance of those that came before it.

I can live with that.

Enjoy.
http://supercars.autotraderclassics....-corvette-zr-1

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 01-25-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelink
Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 AM
domesticpower
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Spot on and well said Marty !!!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

One question you have raised is: '93^ cars are rated higher. I have never heard of them running faster than earlier cars. (?)

Love to. At least have a look. We should try to cross paths this spring, after some rain washes the salt away. Wait, that might happen Tuesday!
Tom,

No offense taken. It was meant as a joke. Line from Star Wars with Leia on the Death Star who remained combative in spite of the fact that her beloved Alderaan was about to be blown up.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by domesticpower
Spot on and well said Marty !!!
and nice article that Marty posted......Tom
Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1

Perhaps some revel in comparing models 25 years apart, however I cannot ever recall ZR-1 owners gushing over the performance gains of the ZR-1 over C-2 or C-3 iconic big blocks, but maybe things were different then.

While a 57 Fuelie, or a 427/435 may not be able to keep up with my ZR-1, I have never felt compelled to point that out to owners when I meet them, and throwing up car test results like they were my personal achievements, as I am usually too wide-eyed from admiring their car to even think of such things.

A Corvette ZR-1 needs no defender. As time goes by it will surely join the ranks of earlier iconic, water-shed models, that forever changed the
performance landscape. I have watched the reaction to my car intensify year after year, and I see no reason that this will change.

When driving with other owners of newer, better, faster, they often comment upon reaching our destination, that they couldn't seem to put my headlights further behind when they jumped on it. I will now simply tell them that it must be "magic".

Newer models have pushed the envelope even further, and will lead the way to even greater levels of performance than could have ever even been envisioned earlier in the cars history.
While the breed improves, it doesn't lessen the importance of those that came before it.

I can live with that.

Enjoy.

Marty
Very well said but please don't misunderstand. No one is putting the ZR1 down or flaunting their later models performance. On the contrary all my friends and certainly myself included are blown away and very amazed that a car from over two decades ago CAN AND SHOULD be mentioned with other current high performance models. These guys are performance fans at heart and all have great admiration and respect for the ZR1
Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Very well said but please don't misunderstand. No one is putting the ZR1 down or flaunting their later models performance. On the contrary all my friends and certainly myself included are blown away and very amazed that a car from over two decades ago CAN AND SHOULD be mentioned with other current high performance models. These guys are performance fans at heart and all have great admiration and respect for the ZR1
No problem, we are good!
I and other ZR-1 owners likewise have a great deal of respect for the newer models.
The C-7, and now with the Z06 variant. WOW!
10's?
Fricken 10's!
Off of the showroom floor?
You are kidding me right?
No?
One bad *** car!
I thought 5's were great until I met 6's....
7's.............................
Like they used to say.
If a little is good, then a lot is better, and TOO MUCH, well that is just enough.
A 53 Ivory over red.
A 57 fuelie.
Go look at a 58 for some time.
Then a 63 SWC.
A 67 427/435.
A 70 big block with PO2's.
A 75 Vert.
78 Pace Car.
82 Collectors Edition.

These plastic cars have such a heritage, combined with a current day car, the C-7, that is simply beyond belief.
Your racing endeavor is genuine, and as said earlier will be something to see.
There are no losers if they wear a Corvette badge!

Marty

Last edited by DRM500RUBYZR-1; 01-25-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: zpelinngk again.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
and nice article that Marty posted......Tom
Me?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I completely
Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

And thegame, what's even more amazing is how little needs to be done to gain significant additional power from this powerplant. It demonstrates how "constrained" GM was with the performance of this motor.
Simple porting "top end" porting, not the heads, gets you into the 400rwhp range. Porting the heads puts you into the the 430rwhp range.
Then using bigger bumps on the cams is 450-475rwhp. ALL from a N/A stock block 5.7L peaking between 6800-7000rpm and idling at
8-900rpm. Now THAT is a fun car to drive.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1

I can live with that.

Enjoy.

Marty
Marty, I echo the comment that you stated the case very well, and the article is a great summary of the ZR-1. I would note that it clearly was written a few years ago based on its suggested pricing of $16k to $22k. A 1995 sold yesterday at Mecum for $51,700 including buyer's premium($47k hammer). A more reasonably priced one is available here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-510-hp.html. Sorry, couldn't resist a plug! But they really are amazing cars, and as Dom suggested above, even more so with over 500 HP! --Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the bump in HP was accompanied by a bit more heft from the increased option list

the late models some reported to top at at 184

most of the modern stuff will run faster than that and get there quicker too

technology marches on

stock L88s weren't that fast either. but uncork them, and they perform well

witness the above 415

sure you can mod anything to make that HP and a hell of alot cheaper

but just for grins you should drive a zr-1 so you will see what these guys are talking about

the modern z06 and ZR1 will easily walk the old thumper, but I'm not sure they'll end up on the left coast from the right the quickest

the LT5 is pretty durable, some of the new stuff, not so much!

but I love all the generations and comparing them against each other is just cause for argument
Old 01-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Ron,

You know that us old dudes like to show these younger whipper snappers they can't take us for granted. Smokey Yunick always had a little something up his sleeve.

Get notified of new replies

To For the experts I COME IN PEACE !!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Rkreigh

but just for grins you should drive a zr-1 so you will see what these guys are talking about
I have; I've driven two so far. They were a major reason why I have a C4 now and no longer have a C6. I "get" what is cool about the ZR-1....as I said in my first post in this thread, I love the ZR-1/LT5.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

I have; I've driven two so far. They were a major reason why I have a C4 now and no longer have a C6. I "get" what is cool about the ZR-1....as I said in my first post in this thread, I love the ZR-1/LT5.
A modded one at sea level
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
A modded one at sea level
Yep, that's not going to happen probably Long way from here to sea level for "just for kicks" test drive.

It's all relative anyway; most cars lose power equally here, so relatively speaking the differences "feel" about the same. If I'm headed through Illinois though, I will let you know.

Quick Reply: For the experts I COME IN PEACE !!