C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

5 spoke wheels on a 92?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Well I ended up purchasing a set of original A-Molds from Ron, who delivered them this past Saturday. I thought about it for awhile, and then decided to buy them. Although the A-Molds on my 94 are in great shape, I feel that these will be harder to find in the future. Now, if I damage a wheel, I don't have to worry about finding a replacement or getting a repair in order to keep the Z on the road.
They are in near excellent condition, just needing a good clean-up both outside and inside. And having all of the GM markings, they are as original as original can be......also they have had a few owners before me. It seems like they are making the rounds with ZR-1 owners.....
All in all, I feel that I made the right decision and a great purchase...
Thank you Ron for the delivery, shame about the snow.......

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 02-17-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wondered what the differences were between real GM A molds and the repro versions, other than markings. Are they in some way lesser quality. And where did the term A-Mold come from?
Also, about the rear wheel mentioned above, how could an eleven inch rear not have the deep recess and still fit a ZR-1. It must certainly have a different offset.
It would be great if we could have a chart with the specs and description of all the different stock appearing wheels that have been offered for the C4 ZR-1, (including the GM/GS wheels), their differences, and their markings.

As for my 91', I bought a set of the 94/95 style versions for use with racing tires as soon as they came out in the mid nineties, and have never bothered to look for factory markings. I assume they're repros.

They are still on the car, but those original saw blades are looking better every year.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
bolling
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I've always wondered what the differences were between real GM A molds and the repro versions, other than markings. Are they in some way lesser quality. And where did the term A-Mold come from?
Also, about the rear wheel mentioned above, how could an eleven inch rear not have the deep recess and still fit a ZR-1. It must certainly have a different offset.
It would be great if we could have a chart with the specs and description of all the different stock appearing wheels that have been offered for the C4 ZR-1, (including the GM/GS wheels), their differences, and their markings.

As for my 91', I bought a set of the 94/95 style versions for use with racing tires as soon as they came out in the mid nineties, and have never bothered to look for factory markings. I assume they're repros.

They are still on the car, but those original saw blades are looking better every year.
My A Mold clones have the correct offset but instead of the whole center being dished more the rim has a deeper dish and the lug holes are deeper.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Well I ended up purchasing a set of original A-Molds from Ron, who delivered them this past Saturday. I thought about it for awhile, and then decided to buy them. Although the A-Molds on my 94 are in great shape, I feel that these will be harder to find in the future. Now, if I damage a wheel, I don't have to worry about finding a replacement or getting a repair in order to keep the Z on the road.
They are in near excellent condition, just needing a good clean-up both outside and inside. And having all of the GM markings, they are as original as original can be......also they have had a few owners before me. It seems like they are making the rounds with ZR-1 owners.....

many of the repos don't have the deep dish rear lug nut area, and are typically heavier

the stock a molds are pretty hard to beat and even many of the aftermarket rims aren't as light

it was a fun trip, I headed up to atlantic city and flipped some black jack, walked away with enough to pay the rip off 20 parking *(last time I was there it was 5 !!) and enjoyed some gale force winds on the board walk wow it was cold

just north of Pa ran into some snow which was NEW for the LSV other than cruising skyline in some flurries

a few dicey moments as about an inch fell in an hour

made it back to the highway and a relatively drama free cruise home

enjoy the rims! you have a great collection vettes that spans generations

I'm a c3, 4, 5 lover so I have one of each

the next zr1 will be a tempting piece as well

great meeting you, keep in touch
Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
many of the repos don't have the deep dish rear lug nut area, and are typically heavier

the stock a molds are pretty hard to beat and even many of the aftermarket rims aren't as light

it was a fun trip, I headed up to atlantic city and flipped some black jack, walked away with enough to pay the rip off 20 parking *(last time I was there it was 5 !!) and enjoyed some gale force winds on the board walk wow it was cold

just north of Pa ran into some snow which was NEW for the LSV other than cruising skyline in some flurries

a few dicey moments as about an inch fell in an hour

made it back to the highway and a relatively drama free cruise home

enjoy the rims! you have a great collection vettes that spans generations

I'm a c3, 4, 5 lover so I have one of each

the next zr1 will be a tempting piece as well

great meeting you, keep in touch

when I saw you come around the corner in the Z, (of course I heard you long before you arrived) I said, "whaaaaaat", wish I had snapped a pic, but was to concerned about getting you back on your way with the snow....
well at least I know they go in the snow ......a little fishtail when you pulled away, but what a sight.......and your Z looked and sounded great even snow covered.....
you mean my Hotwheel collection???
I'm happy with the Vettes that I have, would like to own a 58-62 one day, we shall see. I need to get the 74 back together and finish up on the 82 before I even think about that....

great meeting you also, will do......
Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Default a molds

Originally Posted by bolling
I just purchased a 1992 ZR1 and it has the gray 5 spoke wheels.
Are these correct for a 92?
Look most of the amolds being used are not oem and who cares! If you like them then keep them. They are period correct and they cost a fraction of a pair of painted original a molds. The original a molds have a 56mm offset in the front and a 36mm offset in the rear with very very deep inset bolt pattern. Most of the aftermarket a molds are 50mm front and rear. this is so the wheel fits many different cars besides zr1's.

Enjoy your aftermarket a molds because they look just like the origianls.

ed ramos #3028
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER

Tom,
Beautiful set of wheels!!!
Good future planning!
Purchased from a great guy at a great price!
Nice to see everyone make out on the deal!
Now get busy and finish the 74!

Marty
Old 03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Tom,
Beautiful set of wheels!!!
Good future planning!
Purchased from a great guy at a great price!
Nice to see everyone make out on the deal!
Now get busy and finish the 74!

Marty
Hello Marty, yes they are a beautiful set of wheels and I felt that you don't see too many deals come around like this.....
Still thinking about Ron driving up in his ZR-1 to make the delivery in the snow.... thought I had seen everything.....
Good guy, and I also felt it was a great price!!!

About the 74, well I my buddy Chris has a bet with me, (that is where the 74 is residing, in his garage) that it would be done by the end of June. That is suspension and motor in....... looks like I will lose that one and have to buy him lunch at the establishment of his choosing.....looks like it is going to cost me some $$$......
Even my wife keeps asking me if it will ever be done in our lifetime She is anxious to see the 74 come back to life, and so am I. Making every attempt to have it running sometime during the summer. Just going to make it happen!!!
Later..........Tom
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
jimmac28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bolling
I just purchased a 1992 ZR1 and it has the gray 5 spoke wheels.
Are these correct for a 92?
Bolling check your pm.

Quick Reply: 5 spoke wheels on a 92?