C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Strange 3 lights and dial

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 AM
bolling
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange 3 lights and dial

This is going to be difficult to explain without pictures but here goes. On my console just ahead of the FX3 dial I have 3 small lights, two tiny red lights and one slightly larger white light. Normally they are not on and I did not have a clue what lit them. Well I found a small dial by the courtesy drivers foot well light. It is a dial and at the bottom of the dial there is a three position switch. When I turn the dial I notice nothing but when I turn the switch the light will light up, the outside red ones will flash. Any ideas at all? It is done so cleanly it looks factory but I know it's not.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bolling
This is going to be difficult to explain without pictures but here goes. On my console just ahead of the FX3 dial I have 3 small lights, two tiny red lights and one slightly larger white light. Normally they are not on and I did not have a clue what lit them. Well I found a small dial by the courtesy drivers foot well light. It is a dial and at the bottom of the dial there is a three position switch. When I turn the dial I notice nothing but when I turn the switch the light will light up, the outside red ones will flash. Any ideas at all? It is done so cleanly it looks factory but I know it's not.
Sounds like a Sonar type radar detector.
front or left light would be the front sensor, right or rear light would be the rear sensor/detector, with the white light being the on indicator.
Sound was usually controlled by the rotating ****, but many lived with the lights only.
Look behind your front and rear bumpers and you should see the rectangular sensors.
Very nice unit!
Had it in my 96 Impala SS, and it saved me from many meet and greets with the State Police on the turnpike.

Marty
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Sounds like a Sonar type radar detector.
front or left light would be the front sensor, right or rear light would be the rear sensor/detector, with the white light being the on indicator.
Sound was usually controlled by the rotating ****, but many lived with the lights only.
Look behind your front and rear bumpers and you should see the rectangular sensors.
Very nice unit!
Had it in my 96 Impala SS, and it saved me from many meet and greets with the State Police on the turnpike.

Marty
By the way, I forgot to mention, when first turned on with either the ignition switch or the **** if switched off, the self test, winks the front sensor light indicator once, then the rear, then both go out, and only the white light remains on.
If no sound, regardless of the rotation of the **** for volume, then the previous owner feared detection of his detector if stopped. locating the lights on the console would have allowed him to toss his wallet or something over the lights, if stopped by the PD, without having to fumble with the on off ****. Many did not want to be seen reaching for something upon being stopped, which seems more and more to be a good idea.
I think the unit was called a K-40.
You can drive by a known radar source such as a supermarket door opener, and see if the lights start pulsing, slowly at first for the front, then faster as you get closer, then steady on when real close, then the rear starts the same way, but in reverse, i.e. solid first then fast, then slower as you pass the site.
Thinking of it makes me miss it terribly.
My lights were mounted in the gauge cluster, and front speaker was on my A pillar, while rear speaker was on right C-post.
Everyone that rode in that SS was duly impressed with the performance and stealth nature of the unit.

Marty
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You mentioned a three position switch.
I now recall more.
Position one was off
Position two was sound and lights
Position three was lights only

2 and 3 might be the other way around.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:45 PM
bolling
Instructor

By the way, I forgot to mention, when first turned on with either the ignition switch or the **** if switched off, the self test, winks the front sensor light indicator once, then the rear, then both go out, and only the white light remains on.
If no sound, regardless of the rotation of the **** for volume, then the previous owner feared detection of his detector if stopped. locating the lights on the console would have allowed him to toss his wallet or something over the lights, if stopped by the PD, without having to fumble with the on off ****. Many did not want to be seen reaching for something upon being stopped, which seems more and more to be a good idea.
I think the unit was called a K-40.
You can drive by a known radar source such as a supermarket door opener, and see if the lights start pulsing, slowly at first for the front, then faster as you get closer, then steady on when real close, then the rear starts the same way, but in reverse, i.e. solid first then fast, then slower as you pass the site.
Thinking of it makes me miss it terribly.
My lights were mounted in the gauge cluster, and front speaker was on my A pillar, while rear speaker was on right C-post.
Everyone that rode in that SS was duly impressed with the performance and stealth nature of the unit.

Marty
Thank you very much. That is really cool. I'll check it out.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:27 PM
bolling
Instructor

You mentioned a three position switch.
I now recall more.
Position one was off
Position two was sound and lights
Position three was lights only

2 and 3 might be the other way around.
I downloaded the manual and it show left=city middle=off right=highway. It does the self check properly but does not make any noise so he must not have hooked up the audio.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bolling
I downloaded the manual and it show left=city middle=off right=highway. It does the self check properly but does not make any noise so he must not have hooked up the audio.
Yes, you are correct.
I did have a volume adjustment for the sound warnings.
See if the switch has a rotary feature if pushed or pulled carefully.
Or maybe check the downloaded manual.

Marty
Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM
bolling
Instructor

Yes, you are correct.
I did have a volume adjustment for the sound warnings.
See if the switch has a rotary feature if pushed or pulled carefully.
Or maybe check the downloaded manual.

Marty
It does rotate but no sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange 3 lights and dial

Quick Reply: Strange 3 lights and dial