C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need Help W/ZR1 Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:16 PM
retiredmac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help W/ZR1 Info

Recently sold my 96 LT4 and regret it deeply so I have been looking at other LT4's all across the Country. Today I stumbled into a 1990 ZR1 for sale in Aiken, SC for $15,999, with 27,000 miles. VIN: 1G1YZ23J9L5802880. Photos don't look bad but before I get to deeply involved with a ZR1 I wanted to look for opinions from the people who own them. Had 6 C4's since 1998 and love them. This just seems to cheap. It is listed on Car gurus and Craigslist for Augusta Ga. Anyone know anything about the car? The owner (Steve) says he has had it for 10 yrs and that he is the 3rd owner. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Mac
Old 02-23-2015, 02:33 PM
retiredmac
Intermediate

Default Additional Info

Originally Posted by retiredmac
Recently sold my 96 LT4 and regret it deeply so I have been looking at other LT4's all across the Country. Today I stumbled into a 1990 ZR1 for sale in Aiken, SC for $15,999, with 27,000 miles. VIN: 1G1YZ23J9L5802880. Photos don't look bad but before I get to deeply involved with a ZR1 I wanted to look for opinions from the people who own them. Had 6 C4's since 1998 and love them. This just seems to cheap. It is listed on Car gurus and Craigslist for Augusta Ga. Anyone know anything about the car? The owner (Steve) says he has had it for 10 yrs and that he is the 3rd owner. Any help/input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Mac
Here is an email I got from the seller. I am 3rd owner. I have owned the car for 10 years. Car runs like a dream! I have original sticker, video and books that came with the car. In those 10 years, I have put 8,000 miles on it. I replaced the alternator, front calipers, rotors and pads, wheel bearings all around, catalytic converters had been removed before I bought it so I replaced them as was required by MD motor vehicle (where I lived at the time). When I bought it, it did not have original wheels. I replaced them with black chrome 93 style C4 wheels. I recently replaced antifreeze and thermostat as well as oil and filter. I used K&N oil and air filters and mobile 1 synthetic oil. There are is a small bubble (approx. quarter size) in the paint over the right headlight. There is an area where paint is chipped in the same area where the light goes up and down. There is a chip (which was repaired but still visible) in the windshield. Interior is in excellent condition. there is some wear in the carpet where you rest your left foot while driving. Other than that, inside is like new. I feel the low price more than makes up for any blemishes. You can call me at with any questions. Thanks. Steve
Old 02-23-2015, 04:03 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Simply sounds like a very realistic and knowledgeable owner.
His lower price is based on things he has stated that need attention.
Ten years of ownership, with 3 total is a very, very big plus.
It is a late production number, so most all of the nits were addressed before it left BG.
At the asking price with that mileage, it would be very difficult to lose on that proposition.
A ten year owner knows the car, and sounds as if he is just ready to move on.
Best of Luck!
Keep us posted!

Marty
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

27k is still a low mileage car for a 90, I agree with DRM500RUBYZR-1. I would ask if the cats were removed does it have headers? A few members here may be in the area and be able to take a look for ya.

You may also want to post on the zr1.net to see if anyone knows the car. Plus its a great place to find any thing you want about the ZR-1's.

http://zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx

Good Luck.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
retiredmac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by We Gone
27k is still a low mileage car for a 90, I agree with DRM500RUBYZR-1. I would ask if the cats were removed does it have headers? A few members here may be in the area and be able to take a look for ya.

You may also want to post on the zr1.net to see if anyone knows the car. Plus its a great place to find any thing you want about the ZR-1's.

http://zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx

Good Luck.
Thank you both for your replies, both are a big help. The seller just emailed be some additional photos and will try to post them here, so I can get the experts here to take a look for me. It just doesn't look like a 27,000 mile car to me and that could be that I am just **** when it comes to my Corvettes appearance. Thanks again I will keep digging. mac
Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 02-23-2015, 06:44 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

he did not talk about common problems such as radio/speakers/antenna, seat bladders, injectors, vacumn leaks to name a few but 10yrs owner 8K miles = weekend driver

https://www.facebook.com/SGaCorvette

Last edited by XLR8TIN; 02-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from an LT4 to an LT5 and have loved every second of that decision. Just Do it!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the LT4 is great engine and is very underrated as you know

but the LT5 has a top end that will delight and show you why the brotherhood of the beast are raving fans

I used to be deep into the BB c3s

don't let the pictures lie, check out the car and see how the paint is

that's is a VERY good deal on a low mile Z that seems like it's been taken care of

LT5s with a poor maint record, and cosmetics are indeed worth much $$ and make a "deal" cost a bundle. you can find quite a few "enthusiast maintained" and lightly modded cars in the 15-20k range

good luck!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
the LT4 is great engine and is very underrated as you know

but the LT5 has a top end that will delight and show you why the brotherhood of the beast are raving fans

I used to be deep into the BB c3s

don't let the pictures lie, check out the car and see how the paint is

that's is a VERY good deal on a low mile Z that seems like it's been taken care of

LT5s with a poor maint record, and cosmetics are indeed worth much $$ and make a "deal" cost a bundle. you can find quite a few "enthusiast maintained" and lightly modded cars in the 15-20k range

good luck!

Marty

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help W/ZR1 Info

Quick Reply: Need Help W/ZR1 Info