C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Bose Repair/Replacement Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
Had to go to the u-pull-it wrecking yard for my old body style F150, but ended up coming away with a set of Sigma 975 amps front and rear as a consolation prize. The best part was using earlier advice to use the keyword 'switch' in the description because that invokes a much cheaper schedule when the girl went to her computer screen to price them.

"Speaker switches"
$3.95 ea! If a couple don't work I'm still happy.

These places have a bunch of sneaky hidden charges anyhow so you gotta play the system.
Man, that's incredible! Now I'm going to have to look at Pick-a-Part here in Houston to see if I can find some as well..
Old 09-28-2015, 03:01 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Day Gentlemen - I have a tech question for the guys with CDM box removal/installation experience...

I just got a remanufactured CDM box for my 1991 Bose Gold system, went to install it and I can't find one of the plugs that go on the outboard side (the side with the 4 plugins). I looked high and low after shoehorning the CDM box back up in the dash, then pulled it back out to get a better look and STILL can't find it.

Can anyone tell me where it may have gone? I'm hoping someone here knows something I don't so I'm not spinning my wheels and tearing up my hands while fishing for the plug. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymitchell01
Good Day Gentlemen - I have a tech question for the guys with CDM box removal/installation experience...

I just got a remanufactured CDM box for my 1991 Bose Gold system, went to install it and I can't find one of the plugs that go on the outboard side (the side with the 4 plugins). I looked high and low after shoehorning the CDM box back up in the dash, then pulled it back out to get a better look and STILL can't find it.

Can anyone tell me where it may have gone? I'm hoping someone here knows something I don't so I'm not spinning my wheels and tearing up my hands while fishing for the plug. Thanks in advance.

All the plugs are keyed to go into their respected slots. The side that goes to the speakers (outboard) only has three plugs the forth slot is empty.
The following users liked this post:
jaymitchell01 (01-19-2016)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:53 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

Ken - I'll take your word for it because over the weekend I spent several hours fishing and looking for a fourth plug because there are 4 plugins on the outboard side. Since it was a couple weeks since I pulled it out, I couldn't recall if there were 3 or 4 plugs, so assumed there were 4.

Why does the CDM box have 4 plugins? Because its used in other car models? Either way, that threw me off and cost me some pain.

Thanks for saving me from more work Ken, much appreciated!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:11 AM
kenpeindl
Racer

Originally Posted by jaymitchell01
Ken - I'll take your word for it because over the weekend I spent several hours fishing and looking for a fourth plug because there are 4 plugins on the outboard side. Since it was a couple weeks since I pulled it out, I couldn't recall if there were 3 or 4 plugs, so assumed there were 4.

Why does the CDM box have 4 plugins? Because its used in other car models? Either way, that threw me off and cost me some pain.

Thanks for saving me from more work Ken, much appreciated!!!
I believe the the 4th plug was used in the non-Bose setup. Anyways the Bose CDM from 90 to 96 has only 3 plugs. Below is a pin out diagram of those that are used.

The following users liked this post:
jaymitchell01 (01-19-2016)
Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM
jaymitchell01
Pro

You're the freggin man Ken, thanks again. Time to put this damn right side footwell back together.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Ray Secrest
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 C4 Rear Bose Amplifier Repair

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Pulled both rear amps. Very clean. No circuit board damage evident. Will replace with new ones and repair the faulty one and recheck it for a spare.
I have an earlier amplifier (P/N 1226427) than the one pictured. I am in process of replacing all electrolytic caps and am very much in need of circuit board layout similar to the one provided to determine cap value for the large cap adjacent to the three wound coils. Can anyone provide either board layout or the value of this cap, i.e., largest physical size of all. I do not want to remove to get value if a replacement cannot be found.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 AM
kenpeindl
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray Secrest
I have an earlier amplifier (P/N 1226427) than the one pictured. I am in process of replacing all electrolytic caps and am very much in need of circuit board layout similar to the one provided to determine cap value for the large cap adjacent to the three wound coils. Can anyone provide either board layout or the value of this cap, i.e., largest physical size of all. I do not want to remove to get value if a replacement cannot be found.

Thanks,
Ray
This shows both versions.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Portals/0/Bose2.pdf
Old 10-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Ray Secrest
Cruising

Default 1984 C4 Rear Bose Amplifier Repair

Originally Posted by kenpeindl
Ken, thanks for quick response. My amp (P/N 1226427), secondary reference P/N 16022301) is different than the boards in your post. I am guessing the amp that I have is unique to the '84 model year. It only has one line filter cap in lieu the two (C19 & C25) shown in your post. If the filter cap is not prone to failure, I may not replace but I would like to know the value.

BTW the circuit board is marked 121825.

Ray
Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Ray Secrest
Cruising

Default 1984 Bose Amp Repair

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Did the sound deterioration start all at once?
Do you get any sound at all?
Did this happen on all four speakers at the same time?
Does it happen with CD as well as AM/FM?

I usually start at the speaker amps (exchanging Nissan Max 975s or 075s).
If one speaker amp exchange for a known good amp does not work...then Bose or CDM.

Last time I had issues I exchanged Bose for a known working Bose....found I had no sound after switching in a good Amp and good Bose. So exchanged CDMs and got all the sound back in great order.

If you have someone near by with a good Bose....it is about a 10 minute job to exchange a known working Bose for your Bose.

Same goes with amps....use the rear drivers side amp and exchange that for a known good amp.

Start with the easiest replacement and that be an amp....then the Bose.

Now if nothing as suggested above works.....have fun removing and exchanging the CDM

See Bose Speaker Amps and CDM Replace

The usual problem with Bose is the CD player does not take and run a CD.....that is Doc Dons department.
I have garbled base in the right rear speaker. Car had been stored for 14 years when I got it and sound problem was present when I got it running. Speaker appears to be in good shape. I live in the sticks and there is no Bose shop within 85 miles. I'm going to replace the caps and if this doesn't fix the problem, I'll try your suggested Nissan route.

Many Thanks,
Ray

Quick Reply: Bose Repair/Replacement Guidance