C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Bose Repair/Replacement Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
I completely destroyed all the collector value in my ZR1. Bye, Bye crummy Bose!

I like your plates
You can always send me that bad old Bose. Lol

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-28-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:51 AM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An article from corvette central on the bose speakers.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2014...aign=2015C4-10
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FL KEYS ON
An article from corvette central on the bose speakers.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2014...aign=2015C4-10
Thanks for passing that on!
Bookmarked for certain future need!

Marty
Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pulled both rear amps. Very clean. No circuit board damage evident. Will replace with new ones and repair the faulty one and recheck it for a spare.
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I've already repair about a half dozen of these amps. Its harder to pull the speakers out than replace the caps. I have yet had one that didn't work after replacing the capacitors. Better then paying $140+ for new ones.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I was all into the repair of these and did a couple, but then I found an almost unending supply of the Nissan ones in the junkyards for $8 or so. The Nissan ones are newer and seem to use better electrolytic caps because I have yet to have pulled one that didn't work or sounded crappy. Just be sure to keep the front and rear amps from getting mixed up as the nissan ones had a similar small/large front/back (respectively) speaker sizes just like the C4 application.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
I was all into the repair of these and did a couple, but then I found an almost unending supply of the Nissan ones in the junkyards for $8 or so. The Nissan ones are newer and seem to use better electrolytic caps because I have yet to have pulled one that didn't work or sounded crappy. Just be sure to keep the front and rear amps from getting mixed up as the nissan ones had a similar small/large front/back (respectively) speaker sizes just like the C4 application.
I agree with you. I picked up two Nissan front amps recently and they looked brand new and work great so much so I have two for the rear coming this week. I'll see if they are just as good.

As for the corvette amps the later years (93-96) seem to be better than the (91-92) and definitely better than the 90. They appear to have made improvements as time went on.

What's interesting is the Nissan amps have the same capacitors and are just as aged as the corvette ones but seem to have survive the test of time much better.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Repaired the driver's rear amp and fired it up. Appears to work just fine, BUT.. now I find that the passenger rear amp has almost no bass and has a very high pitched whine.. will repair that one as well. Pretty simple other than having to cut the darned sealant they use to protect from vibration out of the way! Have two replacements coming from Corvette Online Store tomorrow, so will have a couple of spares.. I will make a trip to "Pick a Part" when the weather improves to see if they've got any Maxima's or Infinity's there with bose amps still intact.. Need to pick up a pair of front amps to back up the originals.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Removing Nissan Maxima Bose Speaker Amps

Originally Posted by jss06c6
I will make a trip to "Pick a Part" when the weather improves to see if they've got any Maxima's or Infinity's there with bose amps still intact.. Need to pick up a pair of front amps to back up the originals.
See Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS

1995 96 97 98 99 Nissan Maxima Front Speakers..........1995 96 97 98 99 Nissan Maxima Rear Speakers

To Remove the Front Amps On the Maxima...
1. Remove three bottom phillips screws on door panel.
2. Remove little button in bottom of ash tray and remove that phillips screw.
3. Pop out ash tray.
4. Pop out side of door panel as the sides are held in with plastic expanded plugs which pop loose.
5. Remove trim around door latch and pull out trim a bit so it does not get caught on door latch.
6. Lift door inner panel and remove...there are some electrical wires but you can now set the door panel aside.
7. Remove the four small phillips screws on the Amp Cover.
8. Slip the amp out and disconnect the amp electrical connector shown above.

To Remove the rear Amps On the Maxima...
9. In the trunk.....remove three small 7 mm head screws from plastic cup tabs holding Amp under speaker.
10. Disconnect electrical plug from cup or cut electrical wire.
11. Remove 4 small phillips screws holding the Amp inside the cup.
12. Disconnect the electrical connector shown above but make sure you do not break the two little plastic latches holding the plug in place.
13. Most the time you can just wiggle the plug and the plug will come free without breaking the latches.
14. If the rear glass is broken out.....just remove the 4 phillips screws holding the speaker down and lift the speaker up and out with the plastic cup attached.

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-02-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Repaired the driver's rear amp and fired it up. Appears to work just fine, BUT.. now I find that the passenger rear amp has almost no bass and has a very high pitched whine..
That's how it starts...you think you need one and when you fix the loudest one then you realize how degraded a couple of the others are.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike....you started this Nissan stuff through your own research which I greatly appreciate

What do you call the amps at the window? One place charged me $7.50.....another place wanted $25 because they suggested it was part of the whole speaker assembly..I left those on the table.

I called them relays one place and tuners another place and amps at the expensive place......what do you call them to get a reasonable price?

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-03-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite

What do you call the amps at the window? One place charged me $7.50.....another place wanted $25 because they suggested it was part of the whole speaker assembly..I left those on the table.

I called them relays one place and tuners another place and amps at the expensive place......what do you call them to get a reasonable price?
I went to Pick-n-Pull and pulled 4 Maxima amps. When I checked out, I called them Switch Misc. (medium) from their pricing board and they charged me $8.99 each.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RatRacer
I went to Pick-n-Pull and pulled 4 Maxima amps. When I checked out, I called them Switch Misc. (medium) from their pricing board and they charged me $8.99 each.
Exactly what I was looking for.....thanks......they switch/allow sound to the speakers

I know they have a chart the gal was looking at on her computer and that is why I called them relays last time.
Last week I picked up four more amps at the Pick-N-Pull and I think I mentioned Relays at the window again and the gal came back with $7.50 for each amp. On another chart at a Pick-N-Pull.....you get into over $20 if you mention amps for speakers or part of a speaker assembly. And you cannot say speakers because they are obviously not speakers.

But if a guy was at the window/computer he would know they are not relays....a Switch Misc sounds great

Thinking further.......I just looked at a price list like you mentioned and see Relays are $6.99.....so maybe I can just say the amps (I call them Relays at the window) Relay Sound to the Speakers.......

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-03-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:11 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dynomite

1995 96 97 98 99 Nissan Maxima Front Speakers..........1995 96 97 98 99 Nissan Maxima Rear Speakers

To Remove the Front Amps On the Maxima...
1. Remove three bottom phillips screws on door panel.
2. Remove little button in bottom of ash tray and remove that phillips screw.
3. Pop out ash tray.
4. Pop out side of door panel as the sides are held in with plastic expanded plugs which pop loose.
5. Remove trim around door latch and pull out trim a bit so it does not get caught on door latch.
6. Lift door inner panel and remove...there are some electrical wires but you can now set the door panel aside.
7. Remove the four small phillips screws on the Amp Cover.
8. Slip the amp out and disconnect the amp electrical connector shown above.

To Remove the rear Amps On the Maxima...
9. In the trunk.....remove three small 7 mm head screws from plastic cup tabs holding Amp under speaker.
10. Disconnect electrical plug from cup or cut electrical wire.
11. Remove 4 small phillips screws holding the Amp inside the cup.
12. Disconnect the electrical connector shown above but make sure you do not break the two little plastic latches holding the plug in place.
13. Most the time you can just wiggle the plug and the plug will come free without breaking the latches.
14. If the rear glass is broken out.....just remove the 4 phillips screws holding the speaker down and lift the speaker up and out with the plastic cup attached.

Golden!!! Thanks much
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

That's how it starts...you think you need one and when you fix the loudest one then you realize how degraded a couple of the others are.
How right you are! Rear two and driver front are crisp and clear now. Passenger front has a low rumble when I power up the head unit. The other three are dead quiet. Pulled this amp.. Looks like someone tried to repair it already. Pulled the capacitors last night. Will probably get that set of front amps off of Ebay as backup!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

A few questions????

1- can you mix and match both the 975's and 075's such as, 975's in the front and 075's in the rear, or vice versa?
2- since the 975's are 50W and the 075's are 30W, is that a big complication? Or are all front amps 50W and all rear amps 30W regardless of which series they are?

Thanks for any info.....Tom
Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Now wait a minute here.

These cars have radios??????
No shix?
Really?

I only listen to the pipes!

Marty

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Repair/Replacement Guidance

Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Now wait a minute here.

No shix?
Really?

Marty
Gotta have some tunes when you're parked with a sweet young babe!!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Now wait a minute here.

No shix?
Really?

Marty
With the Doug Rippie DRM 500....who needs a radio

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
A few questions????

1- can you mix and match both the 975's and 075's such as, 975's in the front and 075's in the rear, or vice versa?
2- since the 975's are 50W and the 075's are 30W, is that a big complication? Or are all front amps 50W and all rear amps 30W regardless of which series they are?

Excellent question......I do not have an answere but Mike must know. I have been using 975s but the 075s also work and I know either 075 (front or rear) will work in the rear speakers but my hearing is a bit off from my 500 hp and SW headers

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-06-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
A few questions????

-Some 975's I pulled were marked 'front' so I used those there.
-likewise some 075's were marked 'rear' and were tuned for the 5-6" speakers in the back.

I would have to look at my remaining units to see what they are, but I have sold a couple- not many left and I wasn't really keeping track. I have no idea what the wattage is and how you would know the difference unless there is more info online. The only thing I ever heard on C4 vettes is that convertibles used a big 75 watt system on the rear speakers because they needed to be louder on the drop top cars.

Quick Reply: Bose Repair/Replacement Guidance