C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Newbie starting search for a Z!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ ZR1
I contacted Fred about his 95 double dunn head car and hoping to check out the vehicle soon since the car is local. I know Marty said there isn't much difference between 15K-75K so the rarity of the dunn head car at 76K has really peaked my interest. Hoping the timing works out or else I'll move on to the next one.
I think ZR1Fred will be at Scottsdale Pavillions Mc Donalds, SAT afternoon/early eve, check him out, he said he was bringing a 95, I will be there,91, if the white 1 you were looking at is a 90, Killshots owned it and he will also be at Pavillions, not the car, but can talk to him about it, low miles
Old 03-14-2015, 08:09 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a stock '95 C4 that I've had for 6 years now - bought it with 10K on the clock and have loved every minute of it. But as I have become more familiar with C4s I have noticed that the ZR1 is unquestionably the ultimate C4 (sorry Callaway twin-turbo). Would those of you who have owned/driven both sort of educate me on the differences between the ZR1s and the garden variety Corvettes, like mine?

There is a '93 or '94 ZR1 in Aqua Frost at a local dealer known for flipping cars at ridiculous prices that I may be interested in if someone can convince me that it's worth it (and if I can convince my wife that it's a Good Idea...).
Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

ZR-1 is like a C4 on steroids...Lots of them. Pulling you to 7000 rpms of pure pleasure. or 120mph in 3rd gear!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 AM
gs568
Team Owner

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you considered a Black Rose ZR-1???
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 AM
AZ ZR1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit a black rose Z is pretty freaking sweet!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:50 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
I have a stock '95 C4 that I've had for 6 years now - bought it with 10K on the clock and have loved every minute of it. But as I have become more familiar with C4s I have noticed that the ZR1 is unquestionably the ultimate C4 (sorry Callaway twin-turbo). Would those of you who have owned/driven both sort of educate me on the differences between the ZR1s and the garden variety Corvettes, like mine?

There is a '93 or '94 ZR1 in Aqua Frost at a local dealer known for flipping cars at ridiculous prices that I may be interested in if someone can convince me that it's worth it (and if I can convince my wife that it's a Good Idea...).
It is pretty much like you think it is- The extra 100hp without all the hotrod side effects- the wide body, the little recognitions on the street when people see the badge.

The down sides are that you may not enjoy it like a regular coupe due to the fact that they cost about twice as much as a standard vette and you will be more worried about parking in the sun or putting a bunch of mileage on it. The other part is that it is more front heavy than the standard car so it is not the best choice for certain kinds of track work or daily driving maybe...

Of course i never had anybody slow down to take pictures or holler out the window when I was driving my LT1 car.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
as I have become more familiar with C4s I have noticed that the ZR1 is unquestionably the ultimate C4 (sorry Callaway twin-turbo).
Looks like someone is fishing...unquestionably!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:37 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 95 z

I contacted Fred about his 95 double dunn head car and hoping to check out the vehicle soon since the car is local. I know Marty said there isn't much difference between 15K-75K so the rarity of the dunn head car at 76K has really peaked my interest. Hoping the timing works out or else I'll move on to the next one.
Have you looked at the red 95 on Phoenix craigslist? Jay
Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Looks like someone is fishing...unquestionably!
No, not fishing - mostly daydreaming. I know a guy with a black '95 like mine. I saw this other one at a dealer who sells 'em quick or sends them to auction.

The problem is the clamshell hood. You lift it up and it shows all that beautiful machinery along with the forged aluminum suspension. A twin-turbo would be fun to look at but the LT5 is somewhat cooler in my opinion.

Plus I like the widened rear end.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:30 PM
AZ ZR1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red 95 on CL is Fred's other car. He has twin red 95's for sale. I checked them both out Friday night. Left with a big smile on my face after he let me drive one!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The red 95 on CL is Fred's other car. He has twin red 95's for sale. I checked them both out Friday night. Left with a big smile on my face after he let me drive one!!!
Thanx for your reply I was thinking it might have been a different one because the mileage didn't match his post. Jay
Old 03-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

The Dunn heads do exhibit some refinements in port matching to overcome core shifting, along with their rarity. Together, they add a few more ponies (some have said) and some collectability. That can be important to (according to a recent poll) perhaps 1/3 of Z owners with no intention of crowding the rev limiter, leave alone doing any performance mods.

But, FWIW, if you DO want to upgrade to the very popular "500-510" hp package, the differentiation between the Dunn heads and the Birmals quickly becomes lost due to the extensive porting required. So, I doubt that the uniqueness of Dunn heads is going to fetch much $$, especially if they've been ported.

SO! If big HP is in the cards, that would discount the reason to spend extra for Dunns, methinks...

Paul.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The Dunn heads do exhibit some refinements in port matching to overcome core shifting, along with their rarity. Together, they add a few more ponies (some have said) and some collectability. That can be important to (according to a recent poll) perhaps 1/3 of Z owners with no intention of crowding the rev limiter, leave alone doing any performance mods.

But, FWIW, if you DO want to upgrade to the very popular "500-510" hp package, the differentiation between the Dunn heads and the Birmals quickly becomes lost due to the extensive porting required. So, I doubt that the uniqueness of Dunn heads is going to fetch much $$, especially if they've been ported.

SO! If big HP is in the cards, that would discount the reason to spend extra for Dunns, methinks...

Paul.
I would say that the majority of ZR-1 buyers have no intention of moding their cars at all, probably as many as 90%, forum members aside. ZR-1s have finally transended from performance car to collector car in most peoples minds. They are now 25 years old (half of them) and there are better performance cars out there. Up to a few years ago, that wasn't the case. What they are now is very unique older supercars with modern performance, modern reliability, show WOW quality, and good future collector potential as the people born since the 70's reach their wealth accumulation years. As far as the Dunn heads, there is no performance reason to buy them. Its all about rarity.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:47 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Paul.
Paul is right--The porting difference in the Dunn heads contributed some of the increase in power from 375 to 405 but once you have aftermarket top end porting done the importance goes away. The primary draw of Dunn heads is that it signifies a late production 95, some of the very last produced. If you are looking for a late production 95 and plan on doing porting work to increase power, I would be glad to talk to you about my car which is for sale. It would save you a lot of money over buying one then having the work done, and I am always glad to help. --Bob
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 94 blk/blk 59,000 miles, lightly modded (headers, exhaust, wheels) 25K if you want it.

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 03-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

sooooo many good deals on zr1s

I don't worry too much about driving mine. it's become a daily habit

gas is cheap and I worry more about NOT driving it.

I'm doing my best to wear it out, but I'm only one man.

these cars just go the only thing that will ever wear out is my license
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Car looks ****!

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie starting search for a Z!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
i have a 94 blk/blk 59,000 miles, lightly modded (headers, exhaust, wheels) 25K if you want it.

awesome ! Well OP there you have it... just buy that and join the party
Old 03-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Nice car and nice price.....but....why would you want to sell a nice 94'?

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT

Old 03-31-2015, 01:13 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was considering buying a Gen V viper, but i think I will wait a bit. I decided to replace my truck instead and bought a new RAM 1500 Sport.

Quick Reply: Newbie starting search for a Z!