C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Clicking/popping noise on left turns

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Clicking/popping noise on left turns

I have noticed when my car is being driven for the few blocks that when making a left hand turn I hear a popping/clicking noise from the rear of the car. It sounds similar to when I am letting the clutch out, but happens through out the turn usually when under a little throttle. Right turns there is no noise at all. I may setup my go-pro and try to get some recordings of it.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Arctic91
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
2016 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by billy mild
I have noticed when my car is being driven for the few blocks that when making a left hand turn I hear a popping/clicking noise from the rear of the car. It sounds similar to when I am letting the clutch out, but happens through out the turn usually when under a little throttle. Right turns there is no noise at all. I may setup my go-pro and try to get some recordings of it.
When was the last time the diff lube was changed? I had a popping noise from the rear that I thought was bearings or maybe U joints, mostly on acceleration or when turning. After new Mobile 1 diff lube and GM limited slip additive, the noise was gone. If the fluid is old, that might be a good place to start.

Scott
Old 03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

I changed the engine oil, transmission, and rear diff fluid not even a year ago. I used Mobil 1 75w-90 in the rear diff.

I did not add any LSD additive. I was under the impression its not needed with Mobil 1.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Arctic91
Racer

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

I did not add any LSD additive. I was under the impression its not needed with Mobil 1.
I also thought that Mobil 1 had the limited slip conditioner, but I was told that I still needed to use the GM additive. It definitely solved my problem within about 10 miles after the change. If the fluid is good (and you don't need the additive), then you may be experiencing a different problem than I had.

Scott
Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

still a good ide to add the gm additive but I would take a look at your rear wheel bearings and see if you have any play there
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arctic91
I also thought that Mobil 1 had the limited slip conditioner, but I was told that I still needed to use the GM additive. It definitely solved my problem within about 10 miles after the change. If the fluid is good (and you don't need the additive), then you may be experiencing a different problem than I had.

Scott
So you had just Mobil 1 in the rear diff and it made a popping noise. After you added the GM additive it stopped? I wouldn't think that the LSD additive would be needed. Also why does it only make it on certain turns?

Originally Posted by oldpro
still a good ide to add the gm additive but I would take a look at your rear wheel bearings and see if you have any play there
I originally thought maybe U joints for the driveshafts. Wheel bearings when they go bad usually make a whirring noise. I'll see if I can get a video of it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Arctic91
Racer

2016 C4 of Year Finalist

So you had just Mobil 1 in the rear diff and it made a popping noise. After you added the GM additive it stopped? I wouldn't think that the LSD additive would be needed. Also why does it only make it on certain turns?
No, my fluid was just old. I'm not sure what the previous owner had in there, or just how old it was, but I replaced it with new Mobil 1 and GM additive and the noise went away.

Scott
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Add the GM friction modifier to the diff. if you want to (should do, methinks). But, my money is on the hub or half-shaft U-joint needing to be replaced, based on your description.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

When mine did that. My half shaft U-joints were shot.
After I replaced them the sound when a way.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

It sounds like it could be the bearing or the u joints. I just bought all new bearings. I know the passenger side bearings had some play, I don't know about the driver. Some people have said it is okay to have some play. My understanding is that there should be no play in wheel bearings.

Here is a video of the noise.

It is around the 2 second mark. Almost sounds like a slight rubbing noise.

Is there anyway to confirm that my U joints are bad?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 PM
ken4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try the additive first. You would not believe the noise I have seen different cars make with out it. Especially since you did not put it in after the fluid was changed. Cheap and easy. It will take a little bit to work its way in.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ken4
I would try the additive first. You would not believe the noise I have seen different cars make with out it. Especially since you did not put it in after the fluid was changed. Cheap and easy. It will take a little bit to work its way in.
My thinking on the LSD additive is that why didn't this noise surface last year. I have put a couple thousand miles on my car and just now it is needing that additive. I'm sure its cheap, but I know putting too much of that stuff can/will affect how well the LSD locks up.

Is there a sure way to test or evaluate the U joints before trying to remove the halfshafts. Is it true that the camber bolt needs to be removed in order to get the halfshaft out?

Found this youtube video. Looks like I can apply this to the vette.

Last edited by billy mild; 04-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

I replaced both of my rear wheel bearings, that did not fix the issue. I still have a squeaking/chirping noise when going straight under acceleration. Sometimes on deceleration there is a noise as well, but much less noticeable.

This must be the U Joints. When I had the car jacked up I didn't notice really any plan in the u joints, but then again it wasn't on the ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking/popping noise on left turns

Quick Reply: Clicking/popping noise on left turns