C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

3D Printing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM
NVMYRC51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 3D Printing?

Do we have anybody here that knows anything about 3D printing? How hard/expensive would it be to 3D print a plenum from our beloved LT-5? If this every became cost effective it looks like you could print it already siamesed/ported etc or even expand the chambers and or runners. Just a thought.

Craig,
Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't know if this helps... Maker Place in San Deigo has two 3 D printers for public use. Do they have a business named "Maker Place" or similar

out in Florida? Call them up and see what is possible. I believe the material you make it from will be some kind of plastic like you see on the LS motors.

http://makerplace.com/
Old 04-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

you'd need a very accurate digital trace and a BIG 3d printer arm to do it.

not sure if any of the materials compatiable with the printers (plastic) would withstand the heat. there are of course the metal deposit weld as you go printers that could work and are likely the most feasbile

I thought about the obx cross ram intake with new "base adaptors" printed.

for sure this is feasible, and the "printing in the cloud" services are out there.

it's a good idea and I'd love to see it!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:22 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

We work with lots of 3D printing, we have several machines and types. I think the real issue is the product being able to survive the under hood environment. Can it be printed sure no problem if you want it to hang on the wall.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

to do a new base for the obx throttle bodies a metal print would do just fine. the base could be about 3/8 - 1/2 thick

or as you said, print up a mold and sand cast them

I also looked at cutting apart the and "turning" each runner and modifying it and porting it out to the size needed to fit the oval LT5 port. it would for sure take some major welding up but the size is close to what I need and it would be plenty strong.

looking to just "build the base" out of thick billet alum and weld it up as likely the best option.

wonder if we could talk OBX into a prototype?

the cross ram would look ultra sexy on the zr1 and even on a tt car with a nice plenum at the end in place of the air cleaners

not sure of what the gains would be, but it sure would be cool to find out

it would really unrestrict the intake tract and throttle response would be incredible!

Last edited by Rkreigh; 04-07-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 3D Printing?

Quick Reply: 3D Printing?