C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Selling My White '91 Z to Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
it's really not, and there's really not. It's a car, no more no less
They are certainly depreciating like a regular car. If I had wanted to protect my car money investment from significant depreciation, I would have done much better to have purchased an NSX. Or even a regular LT1 coupe 6-speed car- less money to have been lost in both examples.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM
AHaze
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could find a Z this reasonably priced North of the border. Everyone wants a small fortune for them up here. I offered a guy $17000 CAD (currently around $14200 US) for an original owner 50000 mile 91 and he didn't even get back to me with a counter offer, just said "not even close".
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

so is the car for sale for 13k?

I can sell it all day long for that and will buy it and flip it for at least 15k or more

let me know, if that will help you out, I'm your man.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

That figures...after I went and got a car for conversion to a track car, YOU are selling exactly what I was looking for.

A carbon copy of my '91 Z07 in color...just my luck.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Great logic. You'll let a say $13k car rot away to nothing just because you're afraid someone else might be able to make money that you can't. Why would you care? You may be proving a point, but maybe not the one you think........
Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1
Thanks. My point is that MY car is worth more to me than giving it away in my own opinion. Of course not everyone has the same thoughts. All cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay so I rather keep it than sell if for less than I feel it is worth. I already know that these cars are worth more in parts, but not ready to part it out just yet.
Assuming you don't have better use for the money, I would agree 100%.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 AM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Craig, 13k is not life changing for most. (pay more in property taxes) I would rather keep mine than give it away. JMHO
Old 05-01-2015, 12:41 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks. My point is that MY car is worth more to me than giving it away in my own opinion. Of course not everyone has the same thoughts. All cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay so I rather keep it than sell if for less than I feel it is worth. I already know that these cars are worth more in parts, but not ready to part it out just yet.
Yes, the Z is worth more in other areas. Yes, you should be able to sell it for 17 to 20K in a relatively normal period of time like 1 or 2 months.

Yes, the world has "low ball" fever every time you want to sell something these days. So what? This is reality. You think parting it

out is a good solution ? You should see all the parts I still have left from a 91 Z with 28K on it 2 years later.

I lost over 6K on one transaction 12 years ago on a Z. Did you hear me crying about it? So, let it go... these cars are old in the resale market

and are hard to finance. Your target market is small... again, the market determines value both retail and wholesale.

These cars are special to us, but not so much to Carmax. I am actually suprised they offered that much given the business they are

in. Older sports cars are not Carmax's niche. However, I guarantee you there check won't bounce.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

To the OP only,

Ignoring others and back to your post. I hope that you can hold out for what you need to get out of your car. I understand everyone has a different situation for their reason to sell. As I stated earlier, consider bringing it out to Car & Coffee at Blackhawk Museum this Sunday AM, park it with all the local Zs and for sale sign (PM me if interested and we'll hold a spot for you). The other guys will be willing to help you out to sell it. It seems like a very nice car and being one owner means a lot too. If you have to go the CARMAX route it is understood and best wishes either way. I believe there are about 6 ZR-1s for sale in the local area, but yours by far is priced very well.

Aloha,
Craig
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM
sal826
Instructor

To the OP only,

Ignoring others and back to your post. I hope that you can hold out for what you need to get out of your car. I understand everyone has a different situation for their reason to sell. As I stated earlier, consider bringing it out to Car & Coffee at Blackhawk Museum this Sunday AM, park it with all the local Zs and for sale sign (PM me if interested and we'll hold a spot for you). The other guys will be willing to help you out to sell it. It seems like a very nice car and being one owner means a lot too. If you have to go the CARMAX route it is understood and best wishes either way. I believe there are about 6 ZR-1s for sale in the local area, but yours by far is priced very well.

Aloha,
Craig
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the considerate post. I was not aware there was a ZR1 meeting at Blackhawk - my son would love to see something like that. I will PM you later when I get home from work.

-Sal
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sal826
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the considerate post. I was not aware there was a ZR1 meeting at Blackhawk - my son would love to see something like that. I will PM you later when I get home from work.

-Sal
Okay Sal, that sounds great. We'll do everything we can to give you and your son the exposure needed for top dollar with that nice Z you have. The Cars and Coffee at Blackhawk Museum in Danville is so close to you too. It is huge and over 500 cars on display on any given Sunday with a lot of foot traffic. Maybe we can give him some help with advertising tips too. Just have to find the right audience for you.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/carsncoffee.html

Aloha,

Craig
Old 05-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sal hold off and sell it to someone else for more money. That is low for what its worth.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 AM
REValdez
1st Gear

Default Joined just to respond to this ad...

Today I drove my Z to carmax for n appraisal - they made an offer of $13,000. The appraiser was very impressed with the condition and the mileage, but had a very hard time trying to ascertain a valuation. Anyway to make a long story short I will be selling it to them because I just don't drive it enough. If anyone here wants it, you need to better that price and provide a smooth sales transaction. Here are the details pertaining to my car:

White exterior/Gray interior
37K Miles
Corsa Exhausts
Nice inside and out (pictures available on request). Also I have the appraisal from carmax available.

Sal
Hey Sal,
I'm currently looking for a ZR1 and stumbled across this add. Joined the forum specifically to reply to you. I have a few questions but it's not allowing me to PM you...please PM me at your soonest convenience. Thanks.

Erik
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by 96LT4
I just shipped my Camaro here from So Cal....$1800 enclosed, and it was here 4 days after they picked it up.

Add that to the new GA title tax, and that's why it's not in my garage now.
Tempted as well. $500 ticket to San Fran and drive it back???
Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Zidane
Tempted as well. $500 ticket to San Fran and drive it back???
It would end up costing more than the $1800 for the hauler...gas, hotel, food, time....
Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
TCurtner
Instructor

Today I drove my Z to carmax for n appraisal - they made an offer of $13,000. The appraiser was very impressed with the condition and the mileage, but had a very hard time trying to ascertain a valuation. Anyway to make a long story short I will be selling it to them because I just don't drive it enough. If anyone here wants it, you need to better that price and provide a smooth sales transaction. Here are the details pertaining to my car:

White exterior/Gray interior
37K Miles
Corsa Exhausts
Nice inside and out (pictures available on request). Also I have the appraisal from carmax available.

Sal

please send pics to tdcurtner at gmail.com , or better still post up to photobucket or other, and then send me the link

Last edited by TCurtner; 05-18-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: privacy
Old 06-07-2015, 10:25 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Updates on this car?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pls pm me contact info

or mrhenry123 AT gmail got com