C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Emmision testing on ZR1s

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 10:19 AM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Emmision testing on ZR1s

I am wondering if any of your ZR1s have had any trouble passing emmision tests. Texas just went to an almost "California strict" emmisions test for 95-back OBD I vehichles. I have been looking for only an LT4 because of this, but now I am seriously considering dealing with the dyno test if I can find the right ZR1. I'm leaning towards to 90 because of the weight savings & the deals out there right now. Anybody whos gone through the test already I would appreciate info on how it went and any suggestions on things to look for. Thanks for the help. :cheers:
Old 08-14-2002, 10:24 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (87TRex)

A stock ZR-1 in a proper state of tune will have no problem passing the new Texas emmision testing. The HC and NOX levels from my '90 ZR-1 are almost non-existant. Good luck
Old 08-14-2002, 10:57 AM
carter200
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (RatRacer)

Ratracer is correct. The LT5 is a very efficient powerplant. Good luck on your search for the elusive Z :seeya
Old 08-14-2002, 03:08 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I am wondering if any of your ZR1s have had any trouble passing emission tests. Texas just went to an almost "California strict" emissions test for 95-back OBD I vehicles.
The majority of Texas' 270+ counties do not test for emissions. What are the ones that do?
Old 08-14-2002, 04:09 PM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (USAZR1)

I was refering to Collin, Dallas, & Tarrant Co. mainly. There are several others(I can't name them right off) that are going to do emmisions testing in the near future. Dallas used to just do the sniffer test at idle, but now they make you put your car on a dyno(not the good kind) and run it up to 25mph. There are many cars out there that just can't pass this kind of test without spending an ungodly amount of money. Some cars cost more to repair than they are worth. My point is the Texas government is basically trying to get 79-95 model cars off the road anyway they can. So anyone (myself included) who buys any car or truck from that period has to be very concerned about being able to pass inspection.

[Modified by 87TRex, 2:10 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 04:31 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lie, cheat, and get around the law by changing your address to an outside County. Do you know someone that lives in the outlying area of DFW you can do that with? That way all your going to need is the safety check. Emissions laws are like the drug war. Just another reason to create more Government jobs. The EPA should be abolished. Let me ask you this question. Is the air cleaner today in your area than it was 20 year's ago. It's not in my area. DOn't get me wrong, I want clean air too, but I don't think the EPA knows how to get there. Anyone ever live near the Mexican border? See all the smoke down there? I bet El Paso has to do dyno testing too to try and clean it up but it never will be clean until the rest of the world does it too. My daily driver passes but I don't see the need to comply with a law on a car that I drive less than 5,000 miles a year. Off of soapbox, but the EPA has got to go. Anyone for a Revolution? :crazy:
Old 08-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (4cefed)

All you have to do is move to Canada :D
Old 08-14-2002, 04:43 PM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

Viva la resistance! :yesnod: I agree with you right there. It makes me so mad when I see a big ol diesel truck or bus pass me by spewing crap into the air, smelling like, well, diesel. :mad Yet they pick on us for the air quality. To top it off our inspection cost $39.95, and a diesel gets a "safety only" inspection for $12.95. :mad :mad That really chaps me! Anyway, off my soapbox, I have thought about the registering in another county, but it's a big PITA. My shop does the 96-up inspections only. Quick & easy if I go with the LT4. Don't get me wrong, I do want an LT4. They are great cars. Just not the "King of the Hill". I'm torn like an old sweater. :nopity What a problem to have. :flag
Old 08-14-2002, 04:51 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

This is one thing 4cefed and I don't agree on. Clean air is everyone's responsibilty. The air today is just as polluted as it was 20 years ago because there are many more cars on the road. If nobody had any emmision controls on their cars, we would have the same problems they are having in SE Asia right now. See the "Asian brown cloud" on any recent news site.

I have an excellent view from my 30th floor office here in Fort Worth. What I have seen lately during our "Ozone Alert" days is disturbing me. If I did not know any better I could confuse Fort Worth w/ Los Angeles. Visibilty earlier this week was less than 5 miles because the smog was so bad. Stats show the majority of the smog in the area is produced by auto emmisions. When it's really bad I get headaches and sinus problems.

[Modified by RatRacer, 2:55 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:02 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Cam, read where I said I want clean air too. So you don't disagree with me. I do not believe the current system is working and obviously you don't think so either. Now what would you do if they came out and said your 71 has to have "Cats" installed, smog pump and pass at a 120 HC level. I think your tune would change then. :yesnod:

Oh and since there are too many car's on the road you must now get rid of all of your "extra" cars. Sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it? However, that scenerio is very possible with the way things are going.

[Modified by 4cefed, 3:05 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:07 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (8388)

All you have to do is move to Canada :D
You Canadians have all the fun! :D
Old 08-14-2002, 05:14 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

I'm not done yet. The pollution problem is not caused by recreational, occasionally driven vehicles. The problem is the number and type of car's used to commute. SUV's that get 10 miles to the gallon and are driven as a commuter car with one driver are much more of the problem. God forbid we go after the soccer moms driving those busses. The solution are the electric/gas hybrids that are starting to pop up. Cam do you want to drive one of those? That would go a lot further in cleaning the air up than cracking down on Joel and his 415 ZR1 that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. No, people don't want to know the truth or look at the real causes or the real solutions. Those real solutions will go over like a lead ballon. Those solutions do not include cleaning car's up any further. The answer is gas mileage. I don't think Americans are going to go for that. Anyone for a Revolution?

[Modified by 4cefed, 3:19 PM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:19 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Well it would not surprise me if that happened eventually. For the time being pre-75 cars are exempt because they are not the primary contributors of emmisions, vehicles like my '88 GMC truck are the problem. There are millions of dirty vehicles just like it on the road. We have an air pollution problem here at home and I welcome action to clean it up.

Your argument "what would you do if they came out and said your 71 has to have "Cats" installed" doesn't fly because there aren't millions of classic cars on the roads being used as daily drivers. Antique vehicles are therefore exempt. Newer cars, on the other hand, must be clean because there are 100's of millions on the roads every day. If everyone just went out and pulled off their emmision controls we would have this problem.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in518323.shtml
Old 08-14-2002, 05:26 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

There are a hech of alot more 71's on the road than non compliant ZR1's on the road. It is lunacy to suggest that because your car is old and they aren't very many out ther it is ok to pollute but not ok for me? My ZR1 is not a daily driver and I stated above my daily driver does meet ALL emission requirements. You obviously are mistaken on my possition. :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

All we need to do is come up with an electric 500 hp per wheel machine.
Think of it,2000 hp all wheel drive. Probably weigh over 4000 lbs. just in batteries :crazy:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:27 PM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

I'll say it again. Viva la Resistance! I'll bring Chocolate Moues & Latrine! But I'll miss Scarecrow most of all. Thank God we've still got Nick Rivers. :lol: :jester Anyone who hasn't seen "Top Secret" please ignore this post. :cheers:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:28 PM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Emmision testing on ZR1s (8388)

Now that would be a torque monster. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Emmision testing on ZR1s

Old 08-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

[QUOTE]Now that would be a torque monster. :D

Yea, goggles would have to be worn on the back of the head. :crazy: :smash:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:32 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

SUV's that get 10 miles to the gallon and are driven as a commuter car with one driver are much more of the problem.
Even if a vehicle gets 10mpg it can still have very low emmisions. Take my ZR-1 for example, I get about 12-13mpg around town which is where I drive it 99% of the time, yet it only produces 2ppm HC and virtually no NOX. Compare that to your ZR-1 with gutted cats and you'll find a world of difference. That would not really bother me if everyone with '90 model vehicles limited their use to 2-3k miles a year. The problem is there is no way to enforce that so the whole group of vehicles in that age group must comply. That's just the way it is going to be. The largest group of polluters is the one that will feel the hit. Your '90 ZR-1 falls into that catagory.

You are also confusing fuel efficiency with emmisions. They are not directly linked.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Electric cars aren't the answer,either. Where do they get their power source from? Yep,electric power plants and their pollution record ain't too good,either. I don't have a problem with emissions testing as a general rule. What I do have a problem with is their screwed-up beurocratic (sic) line of thinking. It shouldn't matter what's under the hood as long as what comes out of the exhaust is clean.
Anyway,getting back to the subject at hand;is an LT4 cleaner,emission-wise,than an LT5? Somehow,I doubt that as it's very rare to hear of a ZR-1 not passing an emissions test.
Clint

Quick Reply: Emmision testing on ZR1s