C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

'66 Ragtop with LT5

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:02 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default '66 Ragtop with LT5

Great read on a 5 year build in this month's issue of Vette magazine. The owner put an LT5 in his '66 convertible project. Marc H. did the harness conversion to get the LT5 happy with the '66. Very impressive work! Looks killer under the hood Car was evidently at the Corvettes at Carlisle show, so those that made it there got to see this C2 in person.. For the rest of us, we can at least get a good look at it in Vette Magazine. Don't now if the owner is a forum member, but if he is, congrats on a super build..
Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the car is indeed spectacular and a welcome addition to the ZR-1 Net tent

super nice guy too and I had to wipe the drool off

what a fantastic car

there is a certain short block for sale here that is calling to me on a c3 build - must resist!!!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder what the rest of the running gear in this car is like. A few years ago I got to drive a Split-window with an LT5 in it. My favorite Corvette body, with my favorite Corvette engine, what a combo.
But this car's suspension wasn't updated extensively and it was a real handful to drive once you started to toss it around. Sure, it went like a bat out of hell, but I was glad to get back in my C4 ZR-1, much more fun to drive.
I think the problem is, what tires to use? If you go with a tire that looks appropriate on the old sting ray, then you'll never get the handling that you are used to on a ZR-1. But if you "update" the wheels and suspension on the old car it just doesn't look right. To me nothing looks worse than a vintage C2 with modern, low profile rubber.
JMHO.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I wonder what the rest of the running gear in this car is like. A few years ago I got to drive a Split-window with an LT5 in it. My favorite Corvette body, with my favorite Corvette engine, what a combo.
But this car's suspension wasn't updated extensively and it was a real handful to drive once you started to toss it around. Sure, it went like a bat out of hell, but I was glad to get back in my C4 ZR-1, much more fun to drive.
I think the problem is, what tires to use? If you go with a tire that looks appropriate on the old sting ray, then you'll never get the handling that you are used to on a ZR-1. But if you "update" the wheels and suspension on the old car it just doesn't look right. To me nothing looks worse than a vintage C2 with modern, low profile rubber.
JMHO.
Running gear is full ZR-1 (LT-5, ZF S6-40, Dana). Custom tubular frame from SRIII Motorsports to mate to C2 body. Yes, wider feet all around, but tucked neatly under OEM front fenders and custom 1" wider rear quarters. C5 front suspension and C4 rear suspension. 18X9.5 all around with 265/40ZR18 Michelin Super Sports.

Get notified of new replies

To '66 Ragtop with LT5

Quick Reply: '66 Ragtop with LT5