C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

c4 zr-1 and c6 z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
Selling my 95 ZR-1 was somewhat tough, but the reality was in 2007 the economy was tanking and I expected the market on these cars was going to tank which it did. I got out at the right moment as in 7 years of ownership I only lost $3000 which isn’t bad.

Maybe;
Maybe not;

I have had mine for 18 years, and lately have been offered more than I originally paid.
The first and second owner are not able to make that statement.
Matters not though.
It will never be sold by me.
Unlike the smart folks, (like solid dobe), all of my earlier Corvettes were sold, good ones and bad ones.
Buy the right car.
Buy at the right price.
Keep it forever.
If the itch for another comes a callin, keep the one(s) you have and buy another.
Lifts or storage cost far less than what you lose by turning them over.
If I only knew then, what I know now...........................

Then again, that assumes that it is still car love.
Still crazy after all these years, still crazy...............

Marty
NCRSZR1
95PACER
(my)DADSRIV
Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Having thought about what you are pondering, I understand the dilemma.

However, I DID the "500" upgrade (508, actually, with some tweaks left to do) and it pretty much quelled the fires in me for a C6Z. The "510" upgrade Marc does will transform you car; as anyone who has done it can tell you!

Short of the C6 ZR1, the "500" modded ZR-1s elbow their way to the bar to be recognized; certainly by stock LS1, 2, and 3s, and earn a "tip of the hat" by the LS7s as well. (according to my Chicago WANNAGOFAST 1/2 mile WOT results data).

Having been there (where you are) and done that (modded my 350), I've not been sorry a day in my life since. That said, I'm keeping my eye out for a nice C6Z to ADD to the collection (BUT NOT to replace the '90).
Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Having thought about what you are pondering, I understand the dilemma.

However, I DID the "500" upgrade (508, actually, with some tweaks left to do) and it pretty much quelled the fires in me for a C6Z. The "510" upgrade Marc does will transform you car; as anyone who has done it can tell you!

Short of the C6 ZR1, the "500" modded ZR-1s elbow their way to the bar to be recognized; certainly by stock LS1, 2, and 3s, and earn a "tip of the hat" by the LS7s as well. (according to my Chicago WANNAGOFAST 1/2 mile WOT results data).

Having been there (where you are) and done that (modded my 350), I've not been sorry a day in my life since. That said, I'm keeping my eye out for a nice C6Z to ADD to the collection (BUT NOT to replace the '90).
Hey Paul,

I'm seeing nice 2010 ZR1's in the forum. Sure makes a nice stable mate for its older brother! Marc reflashed my chip for 93 octane, Stainless Works headers and 3" exhaust. The '91 breaks the tires loose in the first three gears and definitely has plenty of "grin" factor. Would not part with either of them, but on the watch for a clean, unmolested C5 Z06..

Steve
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jss06c6
but on the watch for a clean, unmolested C5 Z06..

Steve
know of one, what's your criteria?

I bought the car brand new in 02 and did the museum delivery, so with the R8C it had every available option which wasn't a lot.

red over mod red.

PM if interested!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Hey Paul,

I'm seeing nice 2010 ZR1's in the forum. Sure makes a nice stable mate for its older brother! Marc reflashed my chip for 93 octane, Stainless Works headers and 3" exhaust. The '91 breaks the tires loose in the first three gears and definitely has plenty of "grin" factor. Would not part with either of them, but on the watch for a clean, unmolested C5 Z06..

Steve
After doing the Mountain Run last year, with my Corvette nut of a wife riding shotgun, she bought Brett Henderson's 91 ZR-1, the "Turq Monster"; fully ported, cammed, roll bar, coil-overs, 5-point harnesses, 410s, Hurst shifter... I've never saddled up to a C6Z (yet), but I'm thinking the "Turq" might fair pretty well in a head to head contest. Ooooo! That car is wicked for a stock displacement LT5! But! I'm still mulling over an unmolested C6Z

Ami's C3...

And her "Turq Monster", bought last year...

Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Only thing I am concerned about is the ls7 head issue and dropping valves others have been having problems with.
Get rid of the GM heads on it problem solved other than that great car.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
After doing the Mountain Run last year, with my Corvette nut of a wife riding shotgun, she bought Brett Henderson's 91 ZR-1, the "Turq Monster"; fully ported, cammed, roll bar, coil-overs, 5-point harnesses, 410s, Hurst shifter... I've never saddled up to a C6Z (yet), but I'm thinking the "Turq" might fair pretty well in a head to head contest. Ooooo! That car is wicked for a stock displacement LT5! But! I'm still mulling over an unmolested C6Z

Ami's C3...

And her "Turq Monster", bought last year...

Stunning pair of Corvettes! My bride loves to ride shotgun but not happy when I let the ponies run! Hard to rein in thoroughbreds..
Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aaron71771
I'm biased since I own one, but the C4 ZR-1 is one of the best looking Corvettes. It has a very clean purposeful design. There are style subtleties but they don't overtake the whole car. I like looking at C5-7's and appreciate them for the car that they are - but I find the excess in the designs to be a put off. GM designers really need to figure out that rear end.
I'm w/ you on that one, Aaron. The C7 is...just too damn "bizzy" for me, style wise. But, to each their own. Maybe I'll warm up to it someday.

More disturbing is GM's insistence to keep on flogging the pushrod architecture. But, that is a different "issue".
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

As Paul and others have noted, the C4 ZR-1 with Marc's 510 package is a terrific car. Huge improvement in the power yet retains excellent drivability. I have owned C4 ZR-1s for almost 20 years now and my 95 is amazingly tight and a surprisingly good driver on the track (given its almost 30 year old technology). A daily driver around town when the weather is nice (which means about 6 days this year in Chicago!). I have mine up for sale with the thought of moving to a new C7, maybe a Z06. But I still have it so either people are looking more for completely stock cars or my price seems a bit high despite the substantial investment above that price in the power and drivability upgrades. Or perhaps its my lack of desperation to sell. If I don't sell it, I am stuck with a 31,000 mile, 500 HP, beautiful, serviced by Marc Haibeck, easy driving Corvette that still wins trophies and amazes people at local shows. It really is a great car and if I don't get what I consider to be a reasonable price for the car I will keep it and continue to enjoy the car and the camaraderie of all our owners. The C4 ZR-1s are really great and as someone noted they have pretty well bottomed out on pricing so unless you have a big appetite for upgrades you won't lose too much on one.--Bob

Quick Reply: c4 zr-1 and c6 z06