C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Rare Dark Purple Metallic ZR-1 F/S

Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
It has not had a "500+" package done. The "package" it has is the "Street Skinner" engine upgrade once offered by Automasters which was the shop owned by the late Jim Van Dorn,one of the pioneers of LT5 performance enhancement in the early days of the ZR-1 hobby. Generally a Street Skinner had ported heads, housings, partially-ported plenum a bigger throttle body, reset cams along with "blueprinting," Typically, Street Skinners, had headers and were good for 480-500-hp. Mine did not have headers but did have a few additional modifications beyond the standard "Street Skinnner". The car ended up making 413 at the wheels SAE-corrected which, using a 18% correction worked out to 503-hp. The engine was done in the late-90s and has had 51,000 miles put on it since the overhaul so I imagine it makes 475-490-hp at this point......
That is exactly the horsepower my Haibeck 510 package made at the dyno--413-- partly because it lacked the Fidanza lightweight flywheel to which Marc allocates about 15 HP. The mods done by Marc are very similar to those done to Barney's engine, and those mods leave the engine as durable and reliable as a stock one. So mine was also making a bit less than the advertised 510 HP, but sure was strong regardless, as I am sure Barney is as well. What a great buy for someone. Sorry you have had a problem with some potential buyers. Hopefully there will come to their senses and reconsider. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 03-31-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
That is exactly the horsepower my Haibeck 510 package made at the dyno--413-- partly because it lacked the Fidanza lightweight flywheel to which Marc allocates about 15 HP. The mods done by Marc are very similar to those done to Barney's engine, and those mods leave the engine as durable and reliable as a stock one. So mine was also making a bit less than the advertised 510 HP, but sure was strong regardless, as I am sure Barney is as well. What a great buy for someone. Sorry you have had a problem with some potential buyers. Hopefully there will come to their senses and reconsider. --Bob
I've run a lot of chassis dyno tests over the years and, indeed, it's interesting that our two cars made the same number at the wheels.

What kind of dyno was yours run on?
What correction factor did you use?

One difference is that I have a light flywheel, a McLeod aluminum wheel, to be specific. The other differences are I "ported" my exhaust manifolds and the cat inlets by removing all the welding garbage left inside the manifolds. I deburred and smoothed the manifolds' port entries and I deburred and smoothed the inlet of each cat. Finally, I had a special exhaust system built using a mix of stock and Flowmaster components.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I've run a lot of chassis dyno tests over the years and, indeed, it's interesting that our two cars made the same number at the wheels.

What kind of dyno was yours run on?
What correction factor did you use?

One difference is that I have a light flywheel, a McLeod aluminum wheel, to be specific. The other differences are I "ported" my exhaust manifolds and the cat inlets by removing all the welding garbage left inside the manifolds. I deburred and smoothed the manifolds' port entries and I deburred and smoothed the inlet of each cat. Finally, I had a special exhaust system built using a mix of stock and Flowmaster components.
Hi Hib--
Here is the dyno sheet. that's all I know. Don't know if marc cleaned up the headers but he might have. I think when he dyno'd the engine it had headers, a Corsa exhaust and no cats.--Bob
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Hi Hib--
Here is the dyno sheet. that's all I know. Don't know if marc cleaned up the headers but he might have. I think when he dyno'd the engine it had headers, a Corsa exhaust and no cats.--Bob
Really interesting info., "ZR1 Bob". Thanks for posting.

We both tested on a DynoJet.
My numbers were SAE Corrected.
There is nocorrection info on yours.
My numbers used an 18% correction for parasitic loss.
You're used a 15% correction for parasitic loss.

I used 18% because that's what GM Powertrain told me the C4 manual driveline consumes.

In any event, the two cars were pretty close.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

About noon today, Pacific time, Barney was SOLD.

Can't say who bought it until the buyer gives me permission to post the name.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:06 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Congrats! So do you now have a list of parts to sell?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Congrats! So do you now have a list of parts to sell?
Yes, I do...a very long list, however there are a couple of people who asked some time ago about specific items on the list. I'm going to give them "first shot" on a couple of things. After they have their chances, I'll post the entire list.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 AM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Glad Barney found a good home. Someone got a heck of deal IMHO.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Congrats Hib on the sale. I hate we have to let these great cars go for so little money. At least I drive mine to get the Per-ma-grin.

Last edited by randy ransome; 04-02-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Glad Barney found a good home. Someone got a heck of deal IMHO.
Barney's new owner did, indeed get a heck of a good deal because it was, clearly, a buyer's market. The new owner will give Barney a good home and will contribute much to the 2G ZR-1 hobby.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 04-02-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rare Dark Purple Metallic ZR-1 F/S