C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM/CH ZR-1
Dominic
The engine run with a electric water pump.
Yep, makes sense for racing. Not too keen on electric pump for street.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
This is interesting stuff ! I LOL @ the bathtub comment !!!

That is precisely the difference. I have a 614 engine dynoed 370ci LT4 going in my 93. After breakin and tuning im hoping 620+ In order to make that power ALOT had to be sacrificed. It idles at 1200, 5th and 6th gear unuseable as it has a weak midrange as it was cammed for 8500 rpm. Its basically a radical toy that I cant really enjoy for longer drives or dd friendly tasks.

Its the single cam and its limits. Its the reason factory cars gain more with mods with a single cam because the oem cam has to do it all. pass emissions, make torque and power (or try because oem cams blow). Wit the LS7 they stuffed it with huge displacement and tried to rpm a little to make the hp goals with the oem cam. Because of the displacement and heads though.. its no wonder they are easily 100+ hp with cam swaps.

I have an LS6 in my ctsv and its smooth and torque and just dies of breath above 6000. Its a tow truck motor in my eyes. Im not hating on the LSx but its not a special motor. I don't even want to beat on it too much because it doesn't sound awesome nor make any special noises or rev hard top end.

I really like the idea of the coyote swap. Anyone know how realistic it might be in our cars? because of parts availability and cost I would definitely consider a build and maybe even do a custom billet manifold to look like the LT5
I'm out of my element here. I'm surprised you say that about the LS6 considering it has more cam than other LS engines. When I bought my C5Z I thought it pulled great up top especially compared to other LS cars that I had a chance to drive. I would guess you're feeling the weight of a CTS-V compared to me and my Z06. Either way now its heads/cam 461whp and pulls hard all the way to 6900rpm. I had a chance to drive a DRM C4 ZR1 and it was cool but it seems like they are geared long. Oh and I follow you on instagram, I am a big fan of your ZR1.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kins13y
I'm out of my element here. I'm surprised you say that about the LS6 considering it has more cam than other LS engines. When I bought my C5Z I thought it pulled great up top especially compared to other LS cars that I had a chance to drive. I would guess you're feeling the weight of a CTS-V compared to me and my Z06. Either way now its heads/cam 461whp and pulls hard all the way to 6900rpm. I had a chance to drive a DRM C4 ZR1 and it was cool but it seems like they are geared long. Oh and I follow you on instagram, I am a big fan of your ZR1.
Most definitely the weight has a lot to do with it considering it might about 700 or so lbs heavier than a c5z? That's a LOT of weight ! Even so the ls6 is really well suited to this car the motor has a good flat torque curve and it does pull hard. My issue is not the motor but the oem cam. Oem cams are a do-everything cam. I'm sure you've noticed how much more dramatic your motor is with a cam at the top end. The LT5 though in its stock form I regularly say sounds and fees like the old Lincoln town cars with the 4.6L V8s lol.. Very muted and choked sounding but had a nice brassy resonance in the midrange.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Kins13y
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Most definitely the weight has a lot to do with it considering it might about 700 or so lbs heavier than a c5z? That's a LOT of weight ! Even so the ls6 is really well suited to this car the motor has a good flat torque curve and it does pull hard. My issue is not the motor but the oem cam. Oem cams are a do-everything cam. I'm sure you've noticed how much more dramatic your motor is with a cam at the top end. The LT5 though in its stock form I regularly say sounds and fees like the old Lincoln town cars with the 4.6L V8s lol.. Very muted and choked sounding but had a nice brassy resonance in the midrange.
Yup the cam in now is a large one. Really pulls up top.

Quick Reply: naturally aspirated