C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

New to the forum, need advice on LCD issue

Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, need advice on LCD issue

Hello all!

I'm ThunderJ from the World Golf Village area in Saint Augustine, FL. I just purchased a '95 LT1, 6 speed with 43K on it, real good shape (one aggravating issue). In the late '90's I had a '72 LT1.

I'm in need of some advice for my "aggravating issue" which is a faded LCD screen. I've talk to the mechanic who has worked on the car in the past. His process is to remove it and send it off for a full test/rebuild. With labor, shipping with insurance and the full rebuild it ends up costing around $850 with the biggest cost being labor. I've researched about it, found that some places like BATEE will sell you parts or you can send it to them to repair whats needed and places like Eckler's that perform full test/rebuild. I also found a video that shows a guy removing and reinstalling the cluster himself. He did it without removing the steering wheel.

I'd like to have the whole service done, I'm OK with sending the unit out for testing and repair service but the removal and installation isn't a "technical" or "mechanical" job so I'm not real comfortable with paying a full mechanics labor rate for 4 hours to remove and reinstall the cluster.

Does anyone know of an individual or shop anywhere in Florida that has experience with this issue and has a reasonable labor rate?

Thanks,
ThunderJ
Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderJ
Hello all!

I'm ThunderJ from the World Golf Village area in Saint Augustine, FL. I just purchased a '95 LT1, 6 speed with 43K on it, real good shape (one aggravating issue). In the late '90's I had a '72 LT1.

I'm in need of some advice for my "aggravating issue" which is a faded LCD screen. I've talk to the mechanic who has worked on the car in the past. His process is to remove it and send it off for a full test/rebuild. With labor, shipping with insurance and the full rebuild it ends up costing around $850 with the biggest cost being labor. I've researched about it, found that some places like BATEE will sell you parts or you can send it to them to repair whats needed and places like Eckler's that perform full test/rebuild. I also found a video that shows a guy removing and reinstalling the cluster himself. He did it without removing the steering wheel.

I'd like to have the whole service done, I'm OK with sending the unit out for testing and repair service but the removal and installation isn't a "technical" or "mechanical" job so I'm not real comfortable with paying a full mechanics labor rate for 4 hours to remove and reinstall the cluster.

Does anyone know of an individual or shop anywhere in Florida that has experience with this issue and has a reasonable labor rate?

Thanks,
ThunderJ
Some Information for you......another guy with the same issue in FL.
Let us know how you solved the issue

Fading LCD Screen

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-30-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I used

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

a few years ago for my 91 that had intermittent LCD segments.

Glenn
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to use the "Vette Doctor" shop, Bob Steinmetz, in West Melbourne, FL to take care of it.

Get notified of new replies

To New to the forum, need advice on LCD issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the forum, need advice on LCD issue