C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need help diagnosing strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:01 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Need help diagnosing strange noise

Hi
I have a 91 ZR-1 with under 25k miles, I keep hearing a strange noise when I drive the car. It is coming from right side and I think the rear of the car. It's not real loud and I hear it better when I am against a wall and the sounds reflects back. It sounds almost like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike or one of those game wheels you spin at the board walk. It does it only when the car is moving and stops when you depress the clutch. it does it in all gears.It's pretty steady and doesn't speed it up when I accelerate. Any ideas would be appreciated,
Thanks
T
Old 07-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 91vettezr1
Hi
I have a 91 ZR-1 with under 25k miles, I keep hearing a strange noise when I drive the car. It is coming from right side and I think the rear of the car. It's not real loud and I hear it better when I am against a wall and the sounds reflects back. It sounds almost like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike or one of those game wheels you spin at the board walk. It does it only when the car is moving and stops when you depress the clutch. it does it in all gears.It's pretty steady and doesn't speed it up when I accelerate. Any ideas would be appreciated,
Thanks
T
Pull the wheel and make sure your ebrake cable is clear of the wheel. It might be brushing against it
Old 07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Do this only in a safe low or non traffic area.
While driving, put the tranny in neutral and coast to see if you can hear the noise. Also try it with engine shut off. If none of that works, go in reverse and see if the noise is still there.
Just trying to isolate what or what does not make the noise

Good luck
Old 07-12-2015, 03:53 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Do this only in a safe low or non traffic area.
While driving, put the tranny in neutral and coast to see if you can hear the noise. Also try it with engine shut off. If none of that works, go in reverse and see if the noise is still there.
Just trying to isolate what or what does not make the noise

Good luck
Hi
I got this response from the C4 TECH SECTION, I haven't had a chance to check the car yet ,my only concern is the noise stops when the clutch is not engaged.

Oh... this is a classic...

Welcome to C4 ownership.

The fix is rather simple, too... It's rust in the rear stub axle.

The simple fix is to remove the wheel and the nut keeper, and try to flood the stub axle with something like PB Blaster. If that doesn't work, the stub will have to come out, be scrubbed off, reinstalled with some anti-seize to keep it from rusting.

Also, age vs mileage thing, you may have a dry ujoint. I would check them... tight is one thing, but dry is another... And they are not greasable. That's a labour intensive fix, too.

Which leads to a general suggestion, when replacing ujoints on these things, take them apart, remove the crap grease they include and regrease with a good heavy synthetic - Mobil 1, Lucas, Valvoline... take your pick.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help diagnosing strange noise

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing strange noise