C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 market

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 PM
spartangreek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 market

I have always desired/lusted for a ZR1 ever since GM announced their production back in 1989. they were always out of my price range and when they started dropping into affordable ranges I shied away thinking they would be to hard to find good tech persons and parts for repairs. after doing more research on the indestructibility of the LT5 my attitude has changed. I have decided to look for a '92 ZR1. I pick that year because I see that there was some good updates to the cabin, instruments, weatherstripping, insulation, and the side ZR1 logo was added. Also the production numbers dropped more in line with the '93-95's. I'll be looking for one that is very clean inside and out with no major modifications that cannot be put back to stock, with 30,000 to no more than 70,000 miles.
My question to the board is this:
How has the price trend on these ZR1's been in the past 5 to 7 years. Have they stayed fairly flat or have they been drifting upwards? I have read two articles that project the ZR1 to explode in price soon. (Jalopnicks 6/27/14 article).
I have a clean '88 I would have to sell first and then convince my wife....lol

Last edited by spartangreek; 07-25-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:05 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Even the pristine ones are a bargain right now. Good luck in your search. Some of the best information can be found here. http://zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx
Old 07-25-2015, 06:44 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

First to answer your question the market has stayed flat for the last ten years.

The entire collector car market is down right now. My speculation is people are worried about the economy especially with the upcoming 2016 election.

ZR-1's especially low mile original examples are investment grade cars regardless of model year. The latter cars will most likely command more green, however the one year only bodystyle 90 will be the surprise collector dream.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by spartangreek
I have always desired/lusted for a ZR1 ever since GM announced their production back in 1989. they were always out of my price range and when they started dropping into affordable ranges I shied away thinking they would be to hard to find good tech persons and parts for repairs. after doing more research on the indestructibility of the LT5 my attitude has changed. I have decided to look for a '92 ZR1. I pick that year because I see that there was some good updates to the cabin, instruments, weatherstripping, insulation, and the side ZR1 logo was added. Also the production numbers dropped more in line with the '93-95's. I'll be looking for one that is very clean inside and out with no major modifications that cannot be put back to stock, with 30,000 to no more than 70,000 miles.
My question to the board is this:
How has the price trend on these ZR1's been in the past 5 to 7 years. Have they stayed fairly flat or have they been drifting upwards? I have read two articles that project the ZR1 to explode in price soon. (Jalopnicks 6/27/14 article).
I have a clean '88 I would have to sell first and then convince my wife....lol
Looks like you have just a couple of small hurdles to overcome, but your instincts are right. ZR-1s are great cars and may become very valuable in the future but as noted above, they are generally market priced these days and have perhaps drifting upwards with the overall market for collector cars in the past few years. But it all depends on the car.

One value guide (Sports Car Market magazine) considers ZR-1s to be of average collector interest and expected to move with the overall market. I think they are a bit conservative in that regard, as these are quite special cars. In their pocket guide for 2015 they show a low/high range for stock #2 condition (not national show quality) 92s to range from $20,500 to $30,500, 93s $21,500 to $34,500, 94s $30,500 to $41,500 and 95s $31,500 to $43,000. Modifications may add or detract to values depending on a buyer's interests. Many ZR-1 owners modify their cars and some of those modifications can be quite expensive and do not add huge amount of value on resale (ask me how I know). If it is your desire to do some performance modifications, then it is definitely best to buy a car already modified by a knowledgeable ZR-1 person. While I realize you are interested I a '92, my 30k mile '95 can serve as an example. I had significant performance modifications done by one of the very best ZR-1 experts and have about $55k invested but it is advertised for sale at $39,950. I have saved all the parts so the car ban be put back to stock and have loved every minute of the modifications. That's my return on investment, what we call the "Permagrin". So much depends on what your goals are. And, of course, whether your wife will let you achieve them . --Bob
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM
spartangreek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Looks like you have just a couple of small hurdles to overcome, but your instincts are right. ZR-1s are great cars and may become very valuable in the future but as noted above, they are generally market priced these days and have perhaps drifting upwards with the overall market for collector cars in the past few years. But it all depends on the car.

One value guide (Sports Car Market magazine) considers ZR-1s to be of average collector interest and expected to move with the overall market. I think they are a bit conservative in that regard, as these are quite special cars. In their pocket guide for 2015 they show a low/high range for stock #2 condition (not national show quality) 92s to range from $20,500 to $30,500, 93s $21,500 to $34,500, 94s $30,500 to $41,500 and 95s $31,500 to $43,000. Modifications may add or detract to values depending on a buyer's interests. Many ZR-1 owners modify their cars and some of those modifications can be quite expensive and do not add huge amount of value on resale (ask me how I know). If it is your desire to do some performance modifications, then it is definitely best to buy a car already modified by a knowledgeable ZR-1 person. While I realize you are interested I a '92, my 30k mile '95 can serve as an example. I had significant performance modifications done by one of the very best ZR-1 experts and have about $55k invested but it is advertised for sale at $39,950. I have saved all the parts so the car ban be put back to stock and have loved every minute of the modifications. That's my return on investment, what we call the "Permagrin". So much depends on what your goals are. And, of course, whether your wife will let you achieve them . --Bob
I wonder why the 94's and 95's are so much higher in price than the 92's and 93's? All four years had very limited production. Only 50 units less than the 92's. In regards to modifications I prefer none other than good non header exhaust system, a prom chip and possibly nice wheels as long as the originals were kept. Nothing else. buying a nice 92 will be a stretch for me so any later models are not in my radar. If the 90's had a side ZR1 emblem I would buy a 90......seriously! lol I will be into next year before i scrape up enough cash and by then i can sway the good wife.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

The 92 is probably the hardest ZR-1 to find. It was a one year hybrid of 90-92 motor w 93-95 upgrades including ASR. ONLY 502 Of them compared to 1344 93-95s. 95s only one w new gill panels and possible Dunn heads.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I wonder why the 94's and 95's are so much higher in price than the 92's and 93's? All four years had very limited production. Only 50 units less than the 92's. In regards to modifications I prefer none other than good non header exhaust system, a prom chip and possibly nice wheels as long as the originals were kept. Nothing else. buying a nice 92 will be a stretch for me so any later models are not in my radar. If the 90's had a side ZR1 emblem I would buy a 90......seriously! lol I will be into next year before i scrape up enough cash and by then i can sway the good wife.
Well if you are truly serious about the side emblems, just buy them and slap them on a '90 or '91
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most pay more for the added horsepower, airbags, and fatboy seats in the 94-95 model. The 93 still has fat boy seats, though the older style, but no airbags.

I think the later cars are a bit heaver so the HP increase is basically moot. If I was looking for another, it would be a 93. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the airbag deploying into my child's face and killing him. To my knowledge they can't be shut off.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 AM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a few of the zr-1 king of the hill magazines that came out that featured 90 and 91 cars. It seemed the attitude that people had owning the earlier cars was ecstatic compared to today. A few people had the fastest car around and could afford the zr-1 and these owners had something most could not.

When I got my 91' I thought it was really special, but now not as much so. It seems that everyone wants something that no one else can get, and really not interested in other attributes, if that makes sense. You can read the forums how a neglected 90 zr-1 is bought and chopped for parts, and often recommended to do so, instead of restore it. Really, what is so special about the 93 CE and 94 and 95 cars? There were not as many made, so once again you have the supply and demand thing. Maybe I am just talking out my butt, but if someone advertised a 63' that was ratted out for $7k and needed a restoration the line would be around the block to buy it. The 63' from what i heard was really shoddy built, you couldn't see out the rear window, the hubcaps were made from 13 different parts, it had small goofy design problems, by todays standards is slow, but everyone would jump at a chance to get one because everyone else wants one.

I always see 'whats it worth' and 'what will future values be' threads about the zr-1's. Until these cars stop getting bought and chopped for parts and actually get restored, you will never see the values and desirability go up. I think the excitement of these cars is long gone except for a few enthusiasts that are on these forums. I was the same way initially: I had 20k to spend on a corvette that was unique, and the zr-1 was it. Everything else out there with a corvette emblem was too new, too common, or too expensive. I love the car and do not plan on selling it, but I think the supply is greater than the demand.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

How has the price trend on these ZR1's been in the past 5 to 7 years. Have they stayed fairly flat or have they been drifting upwards?
Are you asking because of a possible future "investment," or are you asking because of a possible jump in the purchase price soon?

IDK but I really don't think the price is going to jump soon on our ZR-1's

I love my Z, but I drive it so I don't worry about its future value, but that's just me
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal

IDK but I really don't think the price is going to jump soon on our ZR-1's
I think that thanks to the collector car boom a few years back and the internet, the ZR-1's won't be worth real money for another 20 years or so if ever. There are a TON of low mileage Z's still floating around but thanks to the wide circulation of information everybody knows about them and they aren't a "rare find". In 20 years people that drive their cars will have had their enjoyment with a vast majority of them and the the cars that have managed to stay low mileage will be worth some money. Will they ever be worth the $70k or $100k people paid for them in the 90's? Maybe, but I'd venture to guess that'll be even longer than 20 years...

I DO feel as though it's bottomed out though. I'm confident that even driving it I could get more for my 92 LT1 now than I paid for it a few years ago. I'm not sure i could break even on my 88 4+3, but I think it's close. I didn't buy them to make money though, I bought them for the grin on my face every time my wife and I go someplace in them.

Originally Posted by ghlkal

I love my Z, but I drive it so I don't worry about its future value, but that's just me

I totally agree with you Gary. My wife and I met you at Bloomington Gold this year towards the end of Saturday. You have a beautiful car and it is great that you drive it! I am still hunting for my Z, but driving it is what we will do with it and drive it proudly. Hope to run into you again when we have it!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 market

Quick Reply: ZR1 market