C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Kids... It still amazes me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 PM
G-Sting
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I took my 90 Z to the Morris, IL "Cruise Nite" - a 'show what ya brung' (read: pure car nut kind of show).

I've noticed it before, but as usual, for the most part the crowds' eyes get glazed over by all the eye candy at that show, so 'just another C4' gets a casual glance as they walk by. Leave it to some teenage guys to notice! (Well, that's not exactly true... By chance there were two other ZR-1s parked on the same side street, fellow "FBI'ers", in fact, but they're not 'typical' car show guys either)

Suddenly, this young lad stops in his tracks, calls his friends over, and he pulls out his cell phone to snap pictures of the motor while his friends pour all over it.

After a while they come up to me, sitting in my bag chair while eating my dinner, and ask all kinds of questions about the "LT5!". I explained that it was modified to over 500, and even fired it up for them to listen to. (I'm not sure they all believed the '500+' hp claim of mine. I suppose they were expecting a pretty radical cam overlap and the smooth idle doesn't 'tip it's hand' at all.)

Anywayz... It never ceases to amaze me that it is the youngsters these days are the ones (if nobody else) that realize what they're seeing.
Great story, Paul.

While always having the highest respects for a ZR-1, it was my 24-year-old son-in-law who got me to test drive one this spring. He drives an '83 Porsche - whale tail. He loves all kinds of sports cars and researches, reads, and watches videos like crazy. Somehow, he must have stumbled across something that interested him in it.

Bought the '94 Z in May, and he is sold on it - loves driving it… as do I.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I think it's safe to say, that never before and never again, will a Corvette posses a 32 valve V8. With the new Ford GT's power plant being a v6, the new standard will most likely be less cylinders.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 8388
I think it's safe to say, that never before and never again, will a Corvette posses a 32 valve V8. With the new Ford GT's power plant being a v6, the new standard will most likely be less cylinders.
I don't know what a Northstar motor weighs, however, GM could have built something special with that motor if some beefed up internal engineering and forced induction was added.

What the hell... GM sticks SBC Corvette motors in Cadillacs.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
I don't know what a Northstar motor weighs, however, GM could have built something special with that motor if some beefed up internal engineering and forced induction was added.

What the hell... GM sticks SBC Corvette motors in Cadillacs.
A version of the Northstar that was used in the Oldsmobile Aurora, 4.0 ltr. I believe, was used heavily by a few racing entities with great success.

Quick Reply: Kids... It still amazes me!