C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Oil overfill Effect

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jss06c6
Done..

NOT and easy job at all. Had to "modify" one of my 1/2" drive ratchets to access the 27mm deep socket (6 point) and get the old switch off and reinstall the new one I got from Jerry's Gaskets. Cut the handle off to make a stubby ratchet and then ground down the square drive to make it short enough to slip into the socket. Removing old switch was accomplished by pushing the socket onto the switch after removing the cable and then getting my right hand past the lower radiator hose (PITA) and using my left hand, pushed as far in as possible between the AC lines to keep the ratchet in the socket and slowly unscrewing the old switch. Reinstalled same way, but reversed to hold ratchet on the switch and used my left hand middle finger to pull the shortened ratchet handle to tighten the new switch.

Started the new switch using fingers from both hands to get a thread going then hand tightened with right hand before installing deep socket.

Thought I was through, then looked at the end of the plug only to see that the blue grommet was off and laying on the spring below the crank pulley.. Tried everything I could including putting car up on jack stands and using a coat hanger to try to recover it. Nothing worked, so I used compressed air to hopefully blow it out.. That worked, thank God!

Total time start to finish was about 3 hours, but lost 45 minutes trying to recover the grommet. No leaks! Hope this one lasts another 25 years.
Nice write-up. Very helpful to all when the outcome of a job is posted with the desired results.

Removing the oil filter housing is my preferred method, especially if you are disconnecting the oil cooler lines. 3 or 4 easy access bolts & a couple of harness connections & you can change out the switch while sitting on a stool at the workbench.

Wish I had seen your thread earlier....
Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
Nice write-up. Very helpful to all when the outcome of a job is posted with the desired results.

Removing the oil filter housing is my preferred method, especially if you are disconnecting the oil cooler lines. 3 or 4 easy access bolts & a couple of harness connections & you can change out the switch while sitting on a stool at the workbench.

Wish I had seen your thread earlier....
That certainly would have been easier. I looked at that but the bolts looked much harder to get to. Just glad all worked out. Took her for a drive last night and pushed a few runs to 6,000 rpm. Grin on the face and dry under the hood!!

Quick Reply: Oil overfill Effect