C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Regular Fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Snaps
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Regular Fuel pressure

While driving my 1990 Zr1 down the highway it quickly began to lag than completely die. It would not start again, sounded like it almost wanted to would crank and fire for a sec than die. I checked my fuel pump fuses and check the pressure which was at 0. So I swapped out a fuel pump. Car would still not start and had 0 pressure. Heard the pumps or just pump kick on but still nothing. Pulled the assembly again touched every connector and hose and shoved it back in. Darn thing fired right up at 47ish PSI at 3k it drops a bit to around 45 PSI and when you shut off the car its around 35 PSI. I plan on swapping out the other one out and doing a full rewire but was just curious as to why only replacing one pump would fix the car? Are these numbers good? Think it might of had something to do with connectors being loose?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Jumper to avoid being stranded with a failed Primary Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by Snaps
While driving my 1990 Zr1 down the highway it quickly began to lag than completely die. It would not start again, sounded like it almost wanted to would crank and fire for a sec than die.

was just curious as to why only replacing one pump would fix the car? Are these numbers good? Think it might of had something to do with connectors being loose?
Fuel pressure is fine at 47ish PSI startup and at 3k it drops a bit to around 45 PSI.

Jumper to avoid being stranded with a failed Primary Fuel Pump

As described in the Link above........
"If number 1 fuel pump fails, the LT5 will start properly but then die after a short period of time. When the engine is cold, the period may be almost a minute. When the engine is at operating temperature the engine will die immediately after starting."

"This happens because the ECM energizes BOTH fuel pumps on engine start. So the Secondary Fuel Pump supplies fuel to the injectors while the primary pump does nothing. Once the engine is operating properly, the ECM turns off the Secondary Fuel Pump and the car stalls."

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-25-2015 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Regular Fuel pressure