C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 Throttlebody size

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default LT5 Throttlebody size

I was reading on my mpg thread that the throttlebody had a smaller butterfly opening for cruise and better mileage any pictures or how that system works? The stock lt1 is 48 mm, what is the size for the lt5?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

The primary plate is 22 mm the two larger secondary plates are 59 mm
Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

When Marc Haibeck does the 510 package he enlarges the 59 mm plates to 63 mm.--Bob
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Having never seen a lt5 throttle body, is it bigger in physical size than the lt1? Would it work on a lt1? How do the plates open, small one first before the larger? Could a lt1 be machined to be like the lt5? Are there aftermarket throttle bodies for the lt5 and if so, do they do away with the smaller plate!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:44 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Old 08-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
I was reading on my mpg thread that the throttlebody had a smaller butterfly opening for cruise and better mileage any pictures or how that system works?
It doesn't work (for gas mileage). The purpose is easier management of the "valet" feature. Today, that would all be done w/software controlling the TB blade action. Back then, it had to be done mechanically.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Having never seen a lt5 throttle body, is it bigger in physical size than the lt1? Would it work on a lt1? How do the plates open, small one first before the larger? Could a lt1 be machined to be like the lt5? Are there aftermarket throttle bodies for the lt5 and if so, do they do away with the smaller plate!
1. It is physically larger, different shape, and different flange/bolt pattern
2. No.
3. Small first, larger second....like an '80's VW.
4. possibly. Anything can be done w/enough $$
5. No aftermarket TB's for LT5. No need, IMO.

FYI, there is no practical advantage to adding this style TB to an LT1. Would be a total waste of time and money.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
It doesn't work (for gas mileage). The purpose is easier management of the "valet" feature. Today, that would all be done w/software controlling the TB blade action. Back then, it had to be done mechanically.
Tom while agree with most of this I don't think the primary throttle plate has anything to do with the "valet" feature. The valet key controls the secondary port vacuum system and 8 secondary injectors, it was primary for emissions.

"Quote" From Graham Behan, one of the original LT5 Engineers now working for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering:

"The intent of the "Valet" mode was actually to allow the engine to operate on eight injectors whilst on the emission test cycle. The primary lobe of the LT5 intake cam is 20 deg shorter in duration than the secondary lobe. On a 90 MY car the power key could be left in the full power mode at all times, unfortunately for the 91 MY and above we were forced to adopt a strategy whereby the system would be in "Normal" mode(8 injectors) at every start. Hence the change in the key system for the later cars, this strategy prevented the power key from being considered an emission defeat device."
Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
When Marc Haibeck does the 510 package he enlarges the 59 mm plates to 63 mm.--Bob
The Doug Rippie DRM 500 conversion also uses the larger 63mm throttle plates.

Marty
Old 08-25-2015, 11:11 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

So does the car get better fuel mileage in valet mode or is it restricted in speed also? Is tuning a better choice on the lt5 for better economy? Why couldn't there be a ecm with two proms with a switch to go with a economy mode to a performance mode?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by We Gone
Tom while agree with most of this I don't think the primary throttle plate has anything to do with the "valet" feature. The valet key controls the secondary port vacuum system and 8 secondary injectors, it was primary for emissions.

"Quote" From Graham Behan, one of the original LT5 Engineers now working for Lingenfelter Performance Engineering:

"The intent of the "Valet" mode was actually to allow the engine to operate on eight injectors whilst on the emission test cycle. The primary lobe of the LT5 intake cam is 20 deg shorter in duration than the secondary lobe. On a 90 MY car the power key could be left in the full power mode at all times, unfortunately for the 91 MY and above we were forced to adopt a strategy whereby the system would be in "Normal" mode(8 injectors) at every start. Hence the change in the key system for the later cars, this strategy prevented the power key from being considered an emission defeat device."
Yes, I agree w/all of that...however, when in Valet mode, only the small throttle plate opens (in addition to only the primary runners, function.).

At least, that is what I've read. Otherwise, why spend the $$$ on machining, parts etc, for that itty bitty throttle plate and bore? You can get a progressive throttle much more cheaply and simply by using a cam on the throttle arm.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

So does the car get better fuel mileage in valet mode or is it restricted in speed also? Is tuning a better choice on the lt5 for better economy? Why couldn't there be a ecm with two proms with a switch to go with a economy mode to a performance mode?
no, your foot determines MPG, sorry but the ECM doesn't work that way and the secondaries only open on load which would wreck gas mileage.

for the LT1 there are numerous high flow throttle body setups

I've always wanted to port the "primary" on my throttle body but I've never heard of anyone doing it.

I agree that for stock LT5s a ported TB is a waste and there is some debate if it's even needed on the big doggies.

bet cool to do a back to back dyno test. my bet is that it's not a restriction even stock.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Yes, I agree w/all of that...however, when in Valet mode, only the small throttle plate opens (in addition to only the primary runners, function.).

At least, that is what I've read. Otherwise, why spend the $$$ on machining, parts etc, for that itty bitty throttle plate and bore? You can get a progressive throttle much more cheaply and simply by using a cam on the throttle arm.
You are correct in all but the small plate, it operates as due the larger at all times.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Copy that. I had read (probably in Motor Trend, as that is what I subscribed to back then), waaaay back when the LT5 came out, that the small throttle plate was the only one activated when in Valet mode, limiting the engine to 250 hp.

I think the author must have been confused at to which throttle plates he was writing about. I can't see an engine making 250 horse through that sized orifice, I don't know of any device that would limit the secondaries from opening, since it's all mechanical.

What you're saying makes more sense than what I had read. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by We Gone

Thanks for the picture. That is a pretty small opening to let enough air in! Even a 3 horse power Briggs and Stratton engine is bigger than that!

Last edited by scotth48; 08-26-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

While driving, there isn't much throttle input above idle when I can feel ever so slight of a power (I hesitate to say) "surge". I'm not sure it is the main throttle plates opening or just a ripple in the AF tables or when the secondary injectors come on in the "secondary deleted" mod config that I have...or both?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:23 PM
wfot
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey guys I have done a lot of tuning with the LT5 computer. the throttle body is all mechanical and the secondary plates start to open at about 25% throttle opening. Your foot goes down and and the throttle opens. the Valet part of it is all computer controlled, there are two sets of fuel and spark tables, one set is for 8 throttles and another set for all 16. the throttle blades being open can overlap on these tables based on tps position. there is a tremendous amount of tuning for all tables and varying sensor input.

hope that clears up some questions. It is almost too much to play with really

Get notified of new replies

To LT5 Throttlebody size

Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM
JaySS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the primary throttle blade was originally intended to supply the air shrouded injectors that were eliminated during development.

These should give an idea of the differences between & LT1 & LT5 throttle bodies (LT1 throttle bores have been enlarged to 58mm for this example):

Front:

Back:

I'll let someone else ponder the concept of using an LT5 throttle body on an LT1 with the primary throttle feeding the under-manifold transfer passage
Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Actually, it was for fuel economy/gas mileage. Remember the LT5 is a speed/density system, the smaller throttle valve gave a better TPS vs flow relationship at low power demand like cruising. Two large throttle valves were tried in the beginning but air and fuel distribution problems occurred at low engine RPM.
Originally Posted by JaySS
IIRC, the primary throttle blade was originally intended to supply the air shrouded injectors that were eliminated during development.
Interesting input. Very little info "out there" to confirm anything....that *I* am aware of. In "Heart of the Beast", there is a brief mention about the LT5 idling at ~400 RPM to meet EPA/CAFE fuel requirements....but obviously, that strategy wasn't employed in the final, production engines. So was the little throttle necessary for final production? Or left over from design process that was trying to cover all bases? I suspect we'll never know.

Originally Posted by JaySS
I'll let someone else ponder the concept of using an LT5 throttle body on an LT1 with the primary throttle feeding the under-manifold transfer passage
Those are currently fed by the IAC. Don't know what benefit you'd get by feeding them w/a mini throttle. No "ROI" that I can see there.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Page 40 of HOTB has the info you're looking for. The small throttle valve wasn't in the original throttle body, there was a separate "sub-plenum" with a small throttle valve feeding it and the main throttle body with only two large throttle valves. They abandoned the sub-plenum and put the small throttle in the main throttle body. So to answer your questions, the small throttle valve wasn't left over from the development phase and it is necessary for final production since they added it to the main throttle body after eliminating the sub-plenum. Also, it was going to idle at 450 RPM but I think they ended up at 500 RPM...the low idle RPM is one reason for the dual mass flywheel.
The dual mass was installed to dampen the rattling on the ZF trans which were. Close to square cut, especially in the Black Label model. The primary throttle blade is there to keep intake air velocity up for better low end. It's all mechanical so it works progressively with or without valet. Valet mode disabled the secondary injectors and throttle mechanism
under the plenum.

Quick Reply: LT5 Throttlebody size