C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:24 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrade

I'm getting closer to putting my SW headers on with a set of C6Z06 cats. Currently the center resonator has been deleted and straight pipes were put in place of the resonator. At the end of the exhaust are a set of Borla mufflers.

I am considering putting in an x pipe where the resonator used to be. What size X pipe should I look at? Is there much of a benefit for the x pipe?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:32 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the xpipe will balance out the 2 pipes and give you more mid range power . what ssize pipes are on the car now ?????
Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Stock exhaust currently.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X-Pipe's improve the exhaust scavenging improving the efficiency of your exhaust system. My Stainless Works system is full 3" including the high flow cat's, which are installed just after the collectors. Be sure to check with Marc Haibeck or another qualified tuner to get your fuel remapped to prevent a lean condition and backfire risks with the headers. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I have a complete B&B 3" system with X pipe and cats ready to bolt up

$700 plus shipping.

that's about half price from new and it's in great condition.

PM me if interested!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:46 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jss06c6
X-Pipe's improve the exhaust scavenging improving the efficiency of your exhaust system. My Stainless Works system is full 3" including the high flow cat's, which are installed just after the collectors. Be sure to check with Marc Haibeck or another qualified tuner to get your fuel remapped to prevent a lean condition and backfire risks with the headers. Good luck!
I will be sending off my Throttle body to Marc Haibeck before I install my headers. At that time I will have him change my chip to his tune that he suggests.

I would like to go full 3" exhaust I just don't know if that is in the deck of cards at this time. It sounds like I will be having someone install my headers instead of doing it myself.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

After looking at a few cars it looks like the O2 sensor bungs are mostly on the outside collector facing the sides. My O2 bungs are actually on the top of the collectors. Will I be able to fit the sensors with the bungs being on top of the collector?

Last edited by billy mild; 09-02-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by billy mild
After looking at a few cars it looks like the O2 sensor bungs are mostly on the outside collector facing the sides. My O2 bungs are actually on the top of the collectors. Will I be able to fit the sensors with the bungs being on top of the collector?
Yes. Mine are on top. Check my thread for installation pictures. In this Forum.. Stainless works headers and exhaust install.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Yes. Mine are on top. Check my thread for installation pictures. In this Forum.. Stainless works headers and exhaust install.
How hard was the install with doing it on ramps? I am contemplating if I should do the install at my house in the garage on stands, take it to DIY Auto Repair who has a lift that I can rent, or just pay someone to do the swap.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM
oldpro
Racer

you can do the install on jackstands easy . the toughest part is getting the heat shielding off . the screws don't come out easy and the shielding can relly cut your hands if your not carefull . you will need a extension for your o2 sensor on the right side of the car. you can buyt the connectors you will need to make on at orieleys . you will need one each or if you are going to buy new o2 sensors . you can just cut the one off the old o2 . the whole job takes about 5-6 hrs to take the old manifolds off and put on the headers . this is my opinion only but unless your motor is ported I wouldn't go to 3 in exhaust . you will lose a lot of lowend hp .my 90is ported injector housings and plenum . with headers I have a 21/2 in dr gas exhaust with xpipe . and my car has run 12.10 @119.47 mph in the quarter . I is still pretty quiet when I cruise . I had 3 in on my 92andd it was a callaway 475 super natural . fully callaway ported (which isn't nearly as good as petes porting . but the best mph it ran was 118.21. but that is just my personal opinion .
Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope this helps a bit.. yes, no problems on jack stands..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mufflers.html

Good luck! Mine runs great with full 3" exhaust. Marc did a great job with the tune.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 PM
RussMcB
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps a bit.. yes, no problems on jack stands..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mufflers.html

Good luck! Mine runs great with full 3" exhaust. Marc did a great job with the tune.
I read through your posts. Good read.

Did you ever go back to the dyno after your exhaust upgrade and fixing the secondaries problem? I'm curious to know about how much the improvement was,

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:48 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RussMcB
I read through your posts. Good read.

Did you ever go back to the dyno after your exhaust upgrade and fixing the secondaries problem? I'm curious to know about how much the improvement was,

Thanks.
Haven't done that yet. Temps high still here in Texas, so waiting for a cooler day to put it back on the rollers. I would expect, according to Marc's information, that this would add about 25 rwhp, conservatively.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 AM
oldpro
Racer

my car went from 331 stk to 368 with headers and exhaust and a Henderson tune
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldpro
my car went from 331 stk to 368 with headers and exhaust and a Henderson tune
Nice, certainly feel mine, but not quantified yet. I have baseline at 339 with stock exhaust manifolds, Flowmaster exhaust and Fidanza FW. Hopefully can get back on rollers once the temps drop out of the upper 90's!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If you already straight-piped the resonator, I would just have a shop fab up an H-pipe crossover where the front of the resonator used to be rather than mess around with an x-pipe. I have an x-piped stocker, but it is a smaller pipe size as nobody makes 2.7" off-the-shelf x pipes. There has been more than a lot of debate over X vs. H and which makes more torque and what part of the power band each type does it in. At this point you have a pretty cool 2.7" stock exhaust and the only thing that is bad about it the stock mufflers.

I can tell you that with long tubes and free flowing muffs that it is going to be loud. Some form of muffler flap and a single outlet muffler is the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust upgrade

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade