C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

How Is A ZR-1 For Occasional Road Race/Open Road Race Fun? Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Slowridr
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a blast and the car ran almost flawlessly. It did cut out once for about a second while accelerating out past the end of the Narrows as they are called. Never did find out why.
How did you manage getting the car restarted?

It was like riding in a boat sometimes... and a real blast for the thrill seeker in me...........I also made a 34 minute in car video of that run so I can review those moments when the car would pitch so hard the back wheels would lose contact with the road momentarily.*
This is a question for all, how do you address the floating? Has this happened to anyone else? I imagine that is what a wing is for. That would have scared the bleep out of me, lol.

If I knew how to post it up on You Tube from my CD player in the computer I would do it. Shouldn't be to hard if I look into it.*

My average speed was 156 mph. Check the link below... I am number 12 in the 150 class.

http://www.sscc.us/event_results/results-05-norc.htm

Personally speaking after accumulating 135 k on my Z... my opinion is you could run 150 mph for an hour 5 times a week ( wouldn't that be a great commute? ) and never hurt the motor.
If you can figure it out please do post a video.

It's good to read your last comment. Running your car like that then having confidence in the reliability of your Z is what I am looking for and seems to be a trend among owners.

How about that LeBaron in the unlimited class, lol.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by meanmyz1
I don't doubt Joe's claim in still being able to hit 180 (or close).
Thanks for the post. I hope that my post wasn't taken as "doubting"...that wasn't the case for me, at all. I was just curious as to how it worked out, RPM wise, w/those gears. If you watch the vid again, post up!

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-06-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Ted,

Not that you remember me, but I remember your posts from wayyy back. Nice to hear from you.

In the early days I mostly lurked and then re-subscribed because I couldn't remember my passwords.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Meanmyz
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Thanks for the post. I hope that my post wasn't taken as "doubting"...that wasn't the case for me, at all. I was just curious as to how it worked out, RPM wise, w/those gears. If you watch the vid again, post up!

No worries. I didn't even think to take it that way from you. I was just remembering from past conversations on the subject when talking about gears.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I took my ZR-1 to the track for the first time a month ago. This was my first time ever doing a track day. I may have went over the top in prep, but it went well.

I cleaned out my radiator which I ended up breaking in the process, replaced coolant hoses, fixed all vacuum leaks, changed brake fluid, put new rotors and pads(Hawk HPS+) on, replaced wheel bearings that were bad. Overall the car did great. One run the secondaries didn't open, but that was my own fault for not turning on the key.

Biggest thing is to make sure the car is up to snuff. As long as everything is up to date the car will be a lot of fun. I loved it.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

^Your right on being on top of things with the car. That does a make a difference. Not knocking you as it appears you are new-ish to performance driving, but I hope the car did OK you where not pushing it very hard. Give it time, you will find the limits and ask much more of her.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Demps
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by meanmyz1
Hey Ted,

Not that you remember me, but I remember your posts from wayyy back. Nice to hear from you.

In the early days I mostly lurked and then re-subscribed because I couldn't remember my passwords.
How are things? What cars do you have now?

Ref my comment on sustained revs--car will run and pull hard. Sustaining above 6,000 rpms according to someone I trust and personal observations causes some water-pump/cooling issues.

Ted
Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Originally Posted by Demps
How are things? What cars do you have now?

Ref my comment on sustained revs--car will run and pull hard. Sustaining above 6,000 rpms according to someone I trust and personal observations causes some water-pump/cooling issues.

Ted
Ted, pm sent!

Take care!
Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
^Your right on being on top of things with the car. That does a make a difference. Not knocking you as it appears you are new-ish to performance driving, but I hope the car did OK you where not pushing it very hard. Give it time, you will find the limits and ask much more of her.
This was my first HPDE ever. Not just in the Vette, but in any car. I pushed it a few times a little past the limits in the corners, but with another session or 2 I should be able to realize some of the potential. In this video unfortunately the secondaries weren't working, so I was down on power. I only got up to 120 MPH.

For reference the top speed of the day on that track was 170 MPH. It was a 2013 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by billy mild
This was my first HPDE ever. Not just in the Vette, but in any car. I pushed it a few times a little past the limits in the corners, but with another session or 2 I should be able to realize some of the potential. In this video unfortunately the secondaries weren't working, so I was down on power. I only got up to 120 MPH.

For reference the top speed of the day on that track was 170 MPH. It was a 2013 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.
If you got bit by the bug you'll be going faster in no time. You did fine. Safe and didn't get a big ego. That is the way to do it.

Gotta explore the limits to know them. Remember what Clint Eastwood said.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM
RussMcB
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion:

Agree with all said thus far.

The ZR-1 is a very cool car with a great engine. The drive line is robust and enough people have tracked C4's over the years, so there is a wealth of knowledge regarding brakes, suspension, etc. It's got enough HP to make tracks a lot of fun.

I've raced/driven a lot of different cars and (thus far) there isn't a single one that wasn't fun.

My ZR-1 has not been the most fun track car, probably because it is heavier and less responsive than other cars I've raced. Before I took it to the track I upgraded the pads and rotors, but the braking was disappointing My suspension is all original, and the car was very predictable (easy to slide and catch). I have a set of track-only tires and wheels.

I am looking forward to taking it back to Road Atlanta next year, and I think Atlanta Motorsports Park will be fun, too. There's a good chance we'll have a small group of ZR-1's at one of those events in 2016.

I've never driven a C5 (or C6, C7) so I can't recommend one over the other. Also, I have never done an open road event. I'd bet a ZR-1 (especially with good suspension and tires) would do great.

You'll likely get more people interested in a C4 ZR-1 at the track compared to "common" Corvettes. You might need to have the hood open for people to see it's "different". We had a few people surprised to see two at the Road Atlanta track event.

Last edited by RussMcB; 11-09-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

do a few searches on the zr1 net registry on this topic and seek out my old buddy

Curtis Ward

Curtis put over 108k HARD racing miles on his ZR-1 and topped 201 on the frequent ORRs

biggest thing is have ZFdoc Bill Boudrea blueprint the tranny and add oiling + tranny oil cooler

and do some cooling updates so the durn bypass doesn't cause the car to overheat (this can be a bit tricky and you need a better radiator)

I have 94k miles on my LSV and the car will likely outlast me.

the LT5 is very durable provided you don't let it overheat or over rev

7k and below it will live a very long life even with the stock LT5

make sure you have good safety equipment as life both begins (and ends suddenly) @ 180

it's not the speed that kills, it's those rapid stops and end over end G forces

Quick Reply: How Is A ZR-1 For Occasional Road Race/Open Road Race Fun? Reliable?