C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Some questions for the ZR-1 guru's here

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:55 AM
ajerickson82
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions for the ZR-1 guru's here

Hi all, I sincerely hope this site gets a bit more traffic than some of the other forum based sites now-a-days.

My dad bought this zr-1 back in 89 as a 90 MY. I was 8 years old and of course fell in love with the fast red thing in the garage. Since then we have always sort of shared the car. Then in 2010 he got a c6 zr-1 and the 90 started to sit a bit more. Mostly, just due to space and his abundance of cars.

Since it has spent some time sitting and not driven as much there have been some issues that came up I was hoping to get some insight on from the guys here.

1. ABS light on due to lateral accelerometer, part seems to be NLA. Is there another part number that can be used. Cannot find a cross reference PO for the part.

2. Full engine power switch is very touchy, I am concerned it may be not activating due to ABS light. Regardless, the switch is hard to keep on, is there a way to bypass the option to use the normal setting and only use full power as the car will most likely never see a valet and the only people whom I may want to limit the power for (my children) won't be driving for quite awhile.

3. Are there any places that rebuild the inflatable parts to the seats?

4. Is the radio setup in the later model zr-1's any better than the 90, we are on our 3rd setup and it never seems to last. I prefer to drive with the top off and listen to the wind but it is nice to have the option especially in the AM for news.

5. Does anyone else have issues with the fiberglass parts (nose and rear) not lining up 100% with metal pieces? Maybe it's just my **** retentive issues with things that make me notice.

6. Does this car plaster a smile on everyones face like it does mine? It's been now 17 years since the first time I got to drive the car. The first few times it scared me, since then I have bought and driven cars with bigger power numbers, better handling, more comfort features, learned to properly drive on a track and taken a c6 zr-1 around a few tracks. But, this damn c-4 still makes me feel like an 8 year old when I get in it. I have a friend who has been trying to buy it for years now, it'll never happen. This car will only leave my care when my son is ready to take my place looking after it for his son.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:55 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I would suggest besides being a member of this forum, to join the
ZR1NetRegistry.com forum as there is tons of info there just dedicated to the 90-95 ZR-1's. Although the web site appears to be down at the moment, you will be able to find and have answers to all of your questions....
I will answer question #6......in one word....."YES"
enjoy your Z, there is nothing quite like it......Tom
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ajerickson82
Hi all, I sincerely hope this site gets a bit more traffic than some of the other forum based sites now-a-days.

My dad bought this zr-1 back in 89 as a 90 MY. I was 8 years old and of course fell in love with the fast red thing in the garage. Since then we have always sort of shared the car. Then in 2010 he got a c6 zr-1 and the 90 started to sit a bit more. Mostly, just due to space and his abundance of cars.

Since it has spent some time sitting and not driven as much there have been some issues that came up I was hoping to get some insight on from the guys here.

1. ABS light on due to lateral accelerometer, part seems to be NLA. Is there another part number that can be used. Cannot find a cross reference PO for the part.

2. Full engine power switch is very touchy, I am concerned it may be not activating due to ABS light. Regardless, the switch is hard to keep on, is there a way to bypass the option to use the normal setting and only use full power as the car will most likely never see a valet and the only people whom I may want to limit the power for (my children) won't be driving for quite awhile.

3. Are there any places that rebuild the inflatable parts to the seats?

4. Is the radio setup in the later model zr-1's any better than the 90, we are on our 3rd setup and it never seems to last. I prefer to drive with the top off and listen to the wind but it is nice to have the option especially in the AM for news.

5. Does anyone else have issues with the fiberglass parts (nose and rear) not lining up 100% with metal pieces? Maybe it's just my **** retentive issues with things that make me notice.

6. Does this car plaster a smile on everyones face like it does mine? It's been now 17 years since the first time I got to drive the car. The first few times it scared me, since then I have bought and driven cars with bigger power numbers, better handling, more comfort features, learned to properly drive on a track and taken a c6 zr-1 around a few tracks. But, this damn c-4 still makes me feel like an 8 year old when I get in it. I have a friend who has been trying to buy it for years now, it'll never happen. This car will only leave my care when my son is ready to take my place looking after it for his son.
#1 can be found used only but any will work,not Z only.
#3 the bladders are rotted away and can be replaced,I did mine but a shop can do it also. #4 Not sure what the issue is with the stereo,never heard of one constantly going out,need more info on the issues.The problem here is 90-91 match the dash while 93-95 wont. #5 The build quality has always been crap so you can answer this one yourself.My 91 is white and the top of the front bumper looks like somebody spread cottage cheese over it and blew clear over that. And #6 they dont call it permagrin fur nuthin!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:21 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I see its your 1st post Welcome.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:59 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#2. The full power switch and be disassembled and repaired. Mine needs it now. It makes contact in the half cocked mid-way position. #3. Does the pump run on the inflatable seats? If so, a piece of a surgical glove might possibly fix the bladder. #4. What does the radio do when you turn it on? Over the past 16 years i`ve replaced every amplifier and sent the cdm and the head unit for repair. Probably spent $7-800. I think the Bose radio is a POS even when it works right but trying to keep it original. The reception is poor in a fringe area and the mid-range and base is pitiful. Got a service manual? They`re worth their weight in gold.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL
#2. The full power switch and be disassembled and repaired. Mine needs it now. It makes contact in the half cocked mid-way position. #4. What does the radio do when you turn it on? Over the past 16 years i`ve replaced every amplifier and sent the cdm and the head unit for repair. Probably spent $7-800. I think the Bose radio is a POS even when it works right but trying to keep it original. The reception is poor in a fringe area and the mid-range and base is pitiful. Got a service manual? They`re worth their weight in gold.
See Item #2 CMHSL LED, Full Power Key and Alternator Pulley

Bose Speaker Amps and CDM Replace

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-17-2015 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RICHARD TILL (11-17-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 AM
ajerickson82
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the welcome and all the great information. I think a trip to my favorite pick and pull yard is in order. Is there a place anyone would recommend for the Lateral Accelerometer? I tried 20th St Auto here in Phoenix but the person on the phone said he didn't have any in stock currently.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

corvette bone yards like tracey's corvettes

might call Jerry's Gaskets too.

since it's a non ZR-1 unique part, there were quite a few c4s

all the other stuff is pretty ez

you can also use a surgical glove for the seat bladders. the fingers won't show under the cover and it works just fine.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

welcome

Get notified of new replies

To Some questions for the ZR-1 guru's here

Quick Reply: Some questions for the ZR-1 guru's here