C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

need help with ca smog

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:53 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
The OP did hit on the solution to his problem: Change the physical location of the car to a non-biennial inspection County. Mono is also one of these counties. Makes me smile every year when I get the renewal for the 85. Hasn't needed a smog since 2010.
Is the address of your registration and drivers license the same? Does California require it to be the same?

If it isn't an issue then I will be hunting down an address in a smog friendly county.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Sphinx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So glad I came across this thread! I'm looking at lightly modded 90 and now am thinking I should just pass on it due to the smog risks. I need one as a daily driver and not sure that I want the hassle. I guess that pushes me to the later cars.

I'm in alameda county, which includes oakland. So I'm sure it is in the enhanced testing area.

Last edited by Sphinx; 04-23-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Being as in Ca the sellers responsible for smog have him do a pretest look at the numbers go from there. Been looking at some here/there wont buy the "I got a smog dont worry".
Anyone can until it gets called into a STAR station then you have trouble if it isnt up to par.

Maybe that 90 is go give it a shot explain your concern, a confident and eager seller shouldnt have an issue even if you help out with $ a bit. Worth it either way.
pretty sure the smog renewal has to be done within 30 mi of your "address". Transfer of ownership not so sure
Maybe theres a AAA close to the seller that would be the ideal route

Last edited by cv67; 04-23-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Sphinx
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Being as in Ca the sellers responsible for smog have him do a pretest look at the numbers go from there. Been looking at some here/there wont buy the "I got a smog dont worry".
Anyone can until it gets called into a STAR station then you have trouble if it isnt up to par.

Maybe that 90 is go give it a shot explain your concern, a confident and eager seller shouldnt have an issue even if you help out with $ a bit. Worth it either way.
pretty sure the smog renewal has to be done within 30 mi of your "address". Transfer of ownership not so sure
Maybe theres a AAA close to the seller that would be the ideal route
All that solves for me is, at best, the next two years. The owner has all the parts to return to 100% stock, but you guys are saying that even then, the cars will fail. Might as well be a junker or salvage car at that point. Unless I can find a "set it and forget it" solution, how does it make any financial sense if in two years I'll need to find an out of state buyer or cheat?

One more thought, I don't think this had been tested, but for those with stock cars that have failed, that's a lawsuit in the making against CARB. This is arguably an unconstitutional "taking" that renders your car worthless in California. It would require someone to bring a class-action to test this theory. Those in the best position to bring the case would be those who had cars that were California missions certified to begin with. I imagine that LT5 are not the only problem. I imagine some older Porsches and Ferraris might have the same problem.

Has anyone actually tried to reach out to CARB get their thoughts on this?

Last edited by Sphinx; 04-23-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,143 Likes on 597 Posts

If what CARB is doing was grounds for a class-action, it would have been filed long ago. Either there are no grounds or the money it would cost to fund such as suit is not there.

CARB has been attempting to force older cars off the road by incrementally changing the pollutant limits for at least 15 years. I ran across the problem in 2003 and was told, when I discovered it, that it had been underway for a few years before that.

The car enthusiasts in California have no one to blame but themselves for this happening becuase they, along with other California voters, have been putting progressives in office for well over 50 years and those progressives have filled various regulatory agencies, such as CARB, with anti-car, environmental-activist, progressive-leaning, bureaucrats.

CARB is smart. They know that if they incrementally tighten the standards from time to time, that will force all the cars off the road which previosly passed but were close to the limit.

As long as those cars are either repaired/modified such that they pass, move off California highways or are scrapped, CARB's minnions achieve their goals. CARB cares little about the consequences of that for citizens...other than making certain exemptions available to very low income people.

If Gavin Newsom, who's running for Governor, gets elected, expect the stuation to get worse as Newsom, currently the State's Lt. Governor, is even more progressive than current Gov. Brown.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sphinx
All that solves for me is, at best, the next two years. The owner has all the parts to return to 100% stock, but you guys are saying that even then, the cars will fail. Might as well be a junker or salvage car at that point. Unless I can find a "set it and forget it" solution, how does it make any financial sense if in two years I'll need to find an out of state buyer or cheat?

One more thought, I don't think this had been tested, but for those with stock cars that have failed, that's a lawsuit in the making against CARB. This is arguably an unconstitutional "taking" that renders your car worthless in California. It would require someone to bring a class-action to test this theory. Those in the best position to bring the case would be those who had cars that were California missions certified to begin with. I imagine that LT5 are not the only problem. I imagine some older Porsches and Ferraris might have the same problem.

Has anyone actually tried to reach out to CARB get their thoughts on this?
Not to sure about how reaching out to CARB would change anything. The yearly reduction of NOX levels indicates to me a pre planned method of eliminating cars that are known to pollute was implemented

to obtain an end result. The "result" being that these cars are taken off the roads forever.

As far as a class action suit goes, it is probably cheaper to arrange a circumstance where the car is registered out of state. If you had "interest" in or owned an out of state corporation you might be able

to run a out of state plate and not have it be a problem. A little research and creativity might eliminate the issue with passing a smog test these cars were never designed to pass at the current standards.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:13 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

For any of those who won't "cheat" a smog test to pass, why would you not as long as CARB is cheating the tests for our cars?
I'm not advocating an illegal test station, but I'm sure there are ways to get your car to pass a legal test under certain conditions. Do your research and think about how it can happen.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Where is the op updates?

Hear all points
Problem is you get callled into a STAR station no getting around it. I know someone who owns one and even now he wont/cant do them anymore too regulated. Hear they use cameras connected to Sacramento timers on all checks

Having to non op an 02 Silverado Ive had since new as its had a code I cant get rid of for yrs. Overmaintained since the day I took it new off the lot. Not an old beater, an 02. Go figure. (and it runs great)
That will be the last new car I ever buy they are designed to be disposable

as it stands its max worth is 1500 for cash for clunkers.
Cant smog no tags, cant sell. Unreal
Attached Images  

Last edited by cv67; 04-24-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So glad I came across this thread! I'm looking at lightly modded 90 and now am thinking I should just pass on it due to the smog risks. I need one as a daily driver and not sure that I want the hassle. I guess that pushes me to the later cars.

I'm in alameda county, which includes oakland. So I'm sure it is in the enhanced testing area.
I'm in Fremont. My 91 failed twice before I had to take the car the a referee.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:38 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
If what CARB is doing was grounds for a class-action, it would have been filed long ago. Either there are no grounds or the money it would cost to fund such as suit is not there.

CARB has been attempting to force older cars off the road by incrementally changing the pollutant limits for at least 15 years. I ran across the problem in 2003 and was told, when I discovered it, that it had been underway for a few years before that.

The car enthusiasts in California have no one to blame but themselves for this happening becuase they, along with other California voters, have been putting progressives in office for well over 50 years and those progressives have filled various regulatory agencies, such as CARB, with anti-car, environmental-activist, progressive-leaning, bureaucrats.

CARB is smart. They know that if they incrementally tighten the standards from time to time, that will force all the cars off the road which previosly passed but were close to the limit.

As long as those cars are either repaired/modified such that they pass, move off California highways or are scrapped, CARB's minnions achieve their goals. CARB cares little about the consequences of that for citizens...other than making certain exemptions available to very low income people.

If Gavin Newsom, who's running for Governor, gets elected, expect the stuation to get worse as Newsom, currently the State's Lt. Governor, is even more progressive than current Gov. Brown.
"Progressives" are not the ones at fault for your situation in California. Progressives who are idiots and know or care nothing about older cars, collector cars, etc. are at fault for your problem.

In NJ, we have plenty of progressives in office, and Gov. Christie is at an all time popularity low of about 30% approval.

However, I just bought my '91 ZR-1 in January of this year and was able to get antique plates (25 years old or older) that require no inspection at all. In addition, all older cars are tested using the regs in effect on their date of manufacture. Just recently, a law passed that exempts all '95 and older cars from emissions testing. Various pro-car entities were in the lawmakers' ears, and that has resulted in common-sense solutions. So, you can elect progressives who have a little common sense and still have reasonable regs..
Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by wsaugenstein
"Progressives" are not the ones at fault for your situation in California. Progressives who are idiots and know or care nothing about older cars, collector cars, etc. are at fault for your problem.

In NJ, we have plenty of progressives in office, and Gov. Christie is at an all time popularity low of about 30% approval.

However, I just bought my '91 ZR-1 in January of this year and was able to get antique plates (25 years old or older) that require no inspection at all. In addition, all older cars are tested using the regs in effect on their date of manufacture. Just recently, a law passed that exempts all '95 and older cars from emissions testing. Various pro-car entities were in the lawmakers' ears, and that has resulted in common-sense solutions. So, you can elect progressives who have a little common sense and still have reasonable regs..
I am amazed by the revision and rewriting of old legislation that exempted the 95 and older cars from emission standards out there in NJ. Somebody must have gotten paid off.

As car crazy as many car people are out here I doubtful we can have similar rules enacted for our beloved cars unless some powerful lobbying happens in Sacramento.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Sphinx
Instructor

Originally Posted by wsaugenstein
Exactly right on the first part. Second part, not sure I agree unless that's after our "community" educates them on what we do.

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
Not to sure about how reaching out to CARB would change anything. The yearly reduction of NOX levels indicates to me a pre planned method of eliminating cars that are known to pollute was implemented

to obtain an end result. The "result" being that these cars are taken off the roads forever.

As far as a class action suit goes, it is probably cheaper to arrange a circumstance where the car is registered out of state. If you had "interest" in or owned an out of state corporation you might be able

to run a out of state plate and not have it be a problem. A little research and creativity might eliminate the issue with passing a smog test these cars were never designed to pass at the current standards.

It isn't a C-O-N-Spiracy. The reality is that as these rules kick in now, cars are affected now, not previously. So, efforts to challenge CARB can happen now, not previously.

Sorry, but this is how it works. Owners who have 100% stock cars that fail emissions now have legal "standing" to sue CARB as aggrieved parties.

Eliminating old POS Chrysler K cars spewing black smoke is not a bad idea. However if that K Car is properly maintained and is only failing due to updated standards, that's a problem.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

[QUOTE=Sphinx;1592076404]Exactly right on the first part. Second part, not sure I agree unless that's after our "community" educates them on what we do.

It isn't a C-O-N-Spiracy. The reality is that as these rules kick in now, cars are affected now, not previously. So, efforts to challenge CARB can happen now, not previously.

Sorry, but this is how it works. Owners who have 100% stock cars that fail emissions now have legal "standing" to sue CARB as aggrieved parties.

Eliminating old POS Chrysler K cars spewing black smoke is not a bad idea. However if that K Car is properly maintained and is only failing due to updated standards, that's a problem.[/QUOT

The point is the emission levels were reduced incrementally over time which affected my cars ability to pass in 2011. I think its safe to say that the incrementalization

factor was intentionally created by 2 or more people. If you are curious look up the word "conspiracy" and see what the word actually means.

Btw, my car isn't completely stock. However, it does have the factory emission parts intact and in working order. It does have cats though they are not

CARB numbered and approved for compliance with this state's level of draconian conformity. I did purchase quality cats for the purpose of making it possible for the car to pass.

We are not talking about econo bucket K cars here. Our ZR-1s ran efficiently enough to not be penalized with a "Gas Guzzler" tax of a $1000 when sold as brand new.

I believe the LT5 engine performs at a higher level of efficiency as compared to many others, including the engines in Chrysler K cars.

Last edited by Zrxmax; 04-26-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Got my STAR notice yesterday

Time to non op, will never pass. nothing wrong with it mechanically just a ghost code that wont go away.

Car is now worth tops 1500 cash for clunkers
Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Sphinx
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Got my STAR notice yesterday

Time to non op, will never pass. nothing wrong with it mechanically just a ghost code that wont go away.

Car is now worth tops 1500 cash for clunkers
Hate to even utter this, but have you taken it to a dealer? Has it been scanned with a Tech II?

What do you have?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Sphinx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zrxmax

I believe the LT5 engine performs at a higher level of efficiency as compared to many others, including the engines in Chrysler K cars.[/B]
If that's true, then now that the standards have crept into stock ZR1 territory, it makes sense to challenge CARB. I'm not saying that a legal challenge is easy - but until one of you guys (I don't own a ZR1 yet) consults a lawyer about it, you have no clue whether there's a chance of success.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Hate to even utter this, but have you taken it to a dealer? Has it been scanned with a Tech II?

What do you have?
Yup few times cant find anything replaced everything in sight anyway
p0430

Dealer wants to throw more parts at it til its solved so does everyone else for 100/hr I would too LOL

Runs great

Last edited by cv67; 04-26-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with ca smog

Old 04-27-2016, 03:29 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The limits in CA haven't been lowered since 2011. My last smog was 18 months ago on my '91 so I haven't seen what the limits are lately. I wouldn't be surprised if the creeping incrementalism kicks in another notch though.

To answer Brad's original question- it has gotten to the point to where it is easier to comply by changing it back to almost stock than it is to find a 'guy' like we used to do.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Sphinx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I'm in Fremont. My 91 failed twice before I had to take the car the a referee.
Forgive the California newbie question, but what's a car referee and did it work?

Originally Posted by mike100
The limits in CA haven't been lowered since 2011. My last smog was 18 months ago on my '91 so I haven't seen what the limits are lately. I wouldn't be surprised if the creeping incrementalism kicks in another notch though.

To answer Brad's original question- it has gotten to the point to where it is easier to comply by changing it back to almost stock than it is to find a 'guy' like we used to do.
Based on this thread, a 90-93 in stock condition will fail even if stock. So, not sure how that solves. Can you clarify? I hope it does, b/c I've found a couple of early cars I really like but I need to make sure I have a path forward on emissions.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Forgive the California newbie question, but what's a car referee and did it work?

Based on this thread, a 90-93 in stock condition will fail even if stock. So, not sure how that solves. Can you clarify? I hope it does, b/c I've found a couple of early cars I really like but I need to make sure I have a path forward on emissions.
If your cats are good you will pass. There's just not as much wiggle room. The oxygen sensors have to be tip-top as well as the overall state of tune.

Quick Reply: need help with ca smog