C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Why no supercharger for the LT-5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

So thats where Im at with my ZR1......Would like to get 450-475 RWHP but to get it would be just way to much money to spend on this car.....Shame, the car is probably one of the cleanest Zs out there....

Like the look of the C-5 Z06 and see plenty around with some nice mods that bring the car up to around where I would like to be.....Never drove a C5 Z......Im imagining it rides and out handles the C4 ZR1.....I know its lighter for one thing,heck I lightened my 73 by a good 250 pounds with all I have done to it over the past thirteen years...
Old 05-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

On Paper, the C5 Z06 will blow away a ZR-1 in just about every possible, measurable way.

It's quicker.
Handles better.
Lighter
More fuel efficient
Has better brakes
Rides better
Cheaper to mod
Cheaper to track/race
has more aftermarket support
Has more parts support (OE)
Has more interior space

On paper, it's a slaughter. However, the ZR-1 definitely provides an experience that no Z06 can, IMO. The cockpit feel, the steering/turn in, the immediacy of the throttle response, the over all, more visceral feel of the ZR-1...that is lacking with the C5^ cars, that I've owned and driven. If all you care about is "what a car can do", then the C5^ cars can't be beat for the money. If what you care about it the driving experience and relationship w/the car...then that becomes a personal thing. For ME, the C4 was better for the latter.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes it goes without saying that a car with 10-12 years newer will benefit from more technology,especially in today's world .....
I have never sat in a C5 as far as I can recall..Months ago I got a chance to sit in a new C-7 and I can see your point about cockpit feel...The C4 ZR1 definately won over the C-7...

My 73 which I have had for the past 14 years has that same visceral feel as well....Its no where near the car of the Z but the snappiness and throttle response are evident..

I like my ZR1 I do and if I had to do it all over again I would probably set my sights on a 500 HP package already done...Its probably a blast to drive,as mine is as well....

It's funny I have been driving a corvette since 98 ( had a 76 to start with ) yet never really took the time out to join these forums..

I have gained a lot of knowledge through this forum as well as the ZR1 registry..

Next time I look for a corvette it will def be within these forums..

Quick Reply: Why no supercharger for the LT-5?