C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Looking to buy a ZR-1 in the near future..school me

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 PM
carl425
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to buy a ZR-1 in the near future..school me

Okay, so I've been doing a lot of reading on this awesome forum lately. I decided a while back that I'm buying a ZR-1 and the time is rapidly approaching. My question for the group: What do I need to know about this piece of engineering mastery before I buy?

Any big "NO" items/conditions? Known poor owners? Help a soon to be fellow Z owner out, por favor.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The LT5 engines in the ZR-1's are very stout and reliable, if properly cared for. The main difference between a ZR-1 and regular C4 is the engine and transmission and rear body parts, including doors. The rest of the car is regular C4 stuff. So my recommendation is to find any year from a long time owner that is knowledgeable and has records of maintenance. All years, '90 to '95, are relatively the same. Also depends on what you're interested in. Do you want a stock one or a nicely modified one?
Do your research, starting with the ZR1 Net Registry

www.zr1.net
Old 05-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Go to the ZR1 Net Registry and start reading.
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/
Join the forums there and do exactly what you did here.
If you're a waxer with deep pockets buy the rarest "time-capsule" car and put it in the front row in your museum. (said with only a little sarcasm)
There are quite a few left with 0 miles, that's right, ZERO miles on them.
They look really good in museums.
If you intend to do what the car was meant for, that is drive it for heaven's sake, then buy a well loved, properly maintained example from an enthusiast.
The LT5 engine is fairly bullet proof, don't be too worried about mileage....if it's been properly maintained.
The rest of the car is a 25 year old GM product, it will need lovin to keep it working.
If you want to go *really* fast, opt for a modified car, it's much easier on your checkbook if you buy a car already modded.

Most common color of ZR1 is Red, seconded by Black.
Everybody knows that Red '90's are the fastest.
There are some really rare color combos that exist and some do come up for sale occasionally.
Black Rose is very pretty, Purple is a sunning color (one sold recently, too bad you didn't ****** that one up, look for the "Barney" thread here ), have always liked the Admiral Blue. I've actually grown to like the Rubys (40th anniversary version), but they tend to be pricey.

Welcome aboard!

Good luck on your search.

'Crabs
'90 ZR1 #792 (Red, of course)
Honorary Pirate

Last edited by Crabs; 05-04-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 AM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is that these cars are around 25 years old, and they have issues, whether they have low miles or not. At this age, stuff just goes wrong. I have several posts going about things I am doing to my car, which is a '95 with only 15,000 miles. The windshields delaminate, the weatherstripping goes bad, and many other parts just go bad because of age.

Last edited by VetBoyZR1; 05-04-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Welcome to the madness. The only issues with the 90-92 is fuel injectors that fail do to alcohol in modern fuels. Not a question of is but when. The injectors in my 91 failed at 8000 original miles. Another negative is watch where you buy parts. Some have been known to RAPE owners when it comes to prices. Always ask around before you purchase a new part. Any and all questions you might have,somebody will always have an answer for you. Here or on the other site.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Welcome to the madness. The only issues with the 90-92 is fuel injectors that fail do to alcohol in modern fuels. Not a question of is but when. The injectors in my 91 failed at 8000 original miles. Another negative is watch where you buy parts. Some have been known to RAPE owners when it comes to prices. Always ask around before you purchase a new part. Any and all questions you might have, somebody will always have an answer for you. Here or on the other site.

Marty

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy a ZR-1 in the near future..school me

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a ZR-1 in the near future..school me