C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Cold transmission won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 PM
lchas24
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold transmission won't shift

When I start my 1990 ZR-1 after it has sat for a while, I can't shift the transmission at all. If I turn the car off, I can shift into gear and restart the car. After the car runs for several minutes, the transmission warms up and shifts fine. Ideas? Fixes?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by lchas24
When I start my 1990 ZR-1 after it has sat for a while, I can't shift the transmission at all. If I turn the car off, I can shift into gear and restart the car. After the car runs for several minutes, the transmission warms up and shifts fine. Ideas? Fixes?
How long has it been since the clutch master has been checked for fluid? How long has it been since the transmission lubricant was checked/changed. How does the clutch feel and the car drive once in motion? Shift as expected, gear clash or...................?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM
lchas24
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
How long has it been since the clutch master has been checked for fluid? How long has it been since the transmission lubricant was checked/changed. How does the clutch feel and the car drive once in motion? Shift as expected, gear clash or...................?
Clutch master fluid was checked at last oil change. It was
good. Shifts smoothly after it's warm. That's what's driving me crazy.
Thanx
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I tend to agree with WVZR-1. Where does the clutch release if you start it in gear? Can you start it in gear? I remember years ago one winter in IOWA I had to back the car into the driveway and leave it in first gear. It was so cold the gear oil wouldn't let the transmission shift until it warmed up (68 Road Runner 4spd). I doubt that is your problem.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Your clutch isn't releasing when cold. You need to figure out why. It's MOST likely, as hydraulic problem. To that end, how does the clutch "feel", cold vs. warm? What ZR1fred said: "Where does the clutch release if you start it in gear?" -or begin to engage?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 AM
lchas24
3rd Gear

The clutch releases about 1/4 of the way up. Smooth, no slippage or drag. I'll take another look at the clutch master cylinder level again. Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The clutch releases about 1/4 of the way up. Smooth, no slippage or drag. I'll take another look at the clutch master cylinder level again. Thanks
As your foot comes up from the floor, engagement should begin at about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way UP. IOW, at least 1/2 of the travel from the floor shouldn't do anything, as far as engaging the clutch. It SOUNDS like yours starts to engage (not release) about 1/4 of the way up, from the floor. That is not right. You have air in the system, or a mechanical issue w/the fork, pivot or clutch itself. Since the problem is only present when cold, that is incredibly symptomatic of low clutch fluid; you suck air from the res when cold, have a soft/low pedal. Then as it warms, the fluid expands and your pedal comes back. I've seen it many a time.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:40 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
As your foot comes up from the floor, engagement should begin at about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way UP. IOW, at least 1/2 of the travel from the floor shouldn't do anything, as far as engaging the clutch. It SOUNDS like yours starts to engage (not release) about 1/4 of the way up, from the floor. That is not right. You have air in the system, or a mechanical issue w/the fork, pivot or clutch itself. Since the problem is only present when cold, that is incredibly symptomatic of low clutch fluid; you suck air from the res when cold, have a soft/low pedal. Then as it warms, the fluid expands and your pedal comes back. I've seen it many a time.
His analysis and diagnosis are both dead on!

Marty

Get notified of new replies

To Cold transmission won't shift

Quick Reply: Cold transmission won't shift