C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 Purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Dds1994
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Purchase..

Currently own a 1994 Coupe and looking at buying a 1990 ZR1 with 30k. I have read another post on here as far as what to look for but just wanted some other suggestions. Plus how can you tell a original ZR1 windshield from a replacement? Lastly the Last 4 of the VIN is
Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 PM
32valvesftw
Instructor

A stock 91 windshield will probably show some signs of lamination, but the easiest way is to look for the radar detector window in the left middle of the windshield down by the dashboard, you need to look from an angle on the inside to see it well.
My 91 was well inspected prior to my purchase but I still needed ball joints and alignment. So listen for suspension clunks and noises. All the other pre-purchase stuff is well documented on the Zr-1 Registry. Overall the C4 ZR-1 is a great deal in used performance cars, so be patient and wait for a good example.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:34 PM
32valvesftw
Instructor

A stock 91 windshield will probably show some signs of lamination, but the easiest way is to look for the radar detector window in the left middle of the windshield down by the dashboard, you need to look from an angle on the inside to see it well.
My 91 was well inspected prior to my purchase but I still needed ball joints and alignment. So listen for suspension clunks and noises. All the other pre-purchase stuff is well documented on the Zr-1 Registry. Overall the C4 ZR-1 is a great deal in used performance cars, so be patient and wait for a good example
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

the zr-1 solar ray windshield has a purple tinge to it when you look at it from a low angle- like from the rearview of another car. Quite honestly- it is a plus to have a fresh regular C4 glass installed. 26 year old delaminating windows aren't all that.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 AM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

generally replacement windshields don't have the radar cutout, huge upgrade if you pull the trigger
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mike100
the zr-1 solar ray windshield has a purple tinge to it when you look at it from a low angle- like from the rearview of another car. Quite honestly- it is a plus to have a fresh regular C4 glass installed. 26 year old delaminating windows aren't all that.

Unless one is looking for a top-rate NCRS car, there isn't any significant advantage in having the laminated WS, even if one was available, IMO.

I have a standard (tinted) C4 WS and can compare it to my wife's ZR-1 WS, and the clarity (contrast) overall is clearly (no pun intended) visible in favor of the standard WS. Combined with the cost difference, replacing her WS would be a "no brainer". I'g go with the standard C4 tinted glass for 1/10th of the cost of replacing her laminated WS...IF I could find one.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-20-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Purchase..

Quick Reply: ZR1 Purchase..