C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Could the ZR-1 Be One of the Most Iconic Corvettes Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Could the ZR-1 Be One of the Most Iconic Corvettes Ever?

MotorWeek certainly makes a strong argument for putting at least one Corvette in that "iconic" category: the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1,

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 06-20-2016, 04:38 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Love the C4 ZR-1

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 06-20-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ahhhhhhhhh,no. That honor would go to the GrandSport sadly enough.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 PM
lgaff
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Winner

The C4 ZR-1 was probably on more magazine covers that any other corvette and is fast even by todays standards, with a few mods it can run 120+mph in the quarter...not bad for an antique
Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I couldn't agree more that the ZR-1 is in a league by itself. But judging from the Corvette show I was in over the weekend, you would think you just owned a regular Corvette. Don't get me wrong, as I am fortunate enough to own 2 other "regular" Vettes. Its just that you would be surprised of how many Corvette "people" have no idea what or really care what the ZR-1 is!!!!
I was the only ZR-1 in the show of about 250 Corvettes, and hardly anyone knew or asked questions about it. Granted there were not too many spectators present, as there were 5 or 6 different shows in the area.
Yes, some did inquire about it, but others walked by like it was non-existent. Kind of sad in a way, not because it was my ZR-1 and they weren't interested, but rather that it is a ZR-1 and a very major piece of Corvette history and a meaningful one at that, and they did not want to learn anything about it. I had the Build Sheet on one side of the windshield and the Window Sticker on the otherside, with a short description, so it wasn't that there wasn't any info available.
Oh well, as I drove off towards home, I was thinking that I along with other ZR-1 owners have the opportunity to own and drive these rolling pieces of GM history, and that is very special in itself....

Tom
Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Iconic? Absolutely.

While regular car guys and gals may not know what a ZR-1 is, Vette guys and gals know how important the ZR-1 was in Corvette history.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Iconic?
Perhaps someday.

Rare?
Yup.

Expensive?
Kinda.

Fast?
Yessiree Bob, they'll go from 0 to speeding ticket 4.3 seconds.

Stand out in a crowd like a Ferrari Testarosa or a Lamborghini Countach?
Well, maybe not so much.

GM didn't make it different enough to be obvious to John Q. Public.
Most motor-heads know one when they see one, but even among that minority a lot of them can't tell for sure unless the hood is open.
The exterior body width difference is too subtle to be obvious to most.

Still, be that as it may, I loves me my 1990 ZR1 #792.
Red with Saddle interior.
The red '90's are the fastest, quickest and sexiest of all ZR1s.
Everybody knows that.

I tell both my boys that they'll have to pry my cold stiff fingers off the steering wheel if they plan on inheriting it.

'Crabs
Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

One of the most important things to understand is the landscape of American performance cars in that era. Not only did the '90 ZR-1 step above that crowd, it skyrocketed up and stood up with some of the best Euro exotics at the time. Even by today's standards its a fast car. And man have those standards changed.

What it meant to the Corvette name, and American sports cars in general, is absolutely iconic. And it was just a damn impressive feat given the era.

I was a kid when the car was released, and of all the cars I've seen released in America, the media push, the performance relative to exotic competitors, and reputation - hell yeah it was iconic. You'd have to have a dull memory (or not existed) to not know it.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
c4jimmy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

MotorWeek certainly makes a strong argument for putting at least one Corvette in that "iconic" category: the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1,

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>

Oh yes indeedy doody!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

"Could the ZR-1 Be One of the Most Iconic Corvettes Ever?"

Do you mean it's not?

Damn................
Really?
That's news to me! ( and 6,000 or so others )

Marty
Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the best engineering feats of the late 80s. I love these cars. My brother has a 91, and it's a timelessly beautiful car. The subtle rear end widening by 3" is one of the most beautiful styling features in Corvette history.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yes it's true most at a show wouldn't know what it is but a few will. I was at a cars and coffee deal years ago standing about 20 yards from my car and I see this kid,maybe 13 looking at the car. He would walk away,look at some other cars and then come back to my car. After about the 3rd time I walk over and start talking to the kid or rather he started talking to me,about the ZR-1. This kid knew exactly what it was,he was more knowledgable on the car than pretty much anybody else that's asked about the car in the 9 years I've owned it. Yes,the car is an icon but sadly the misinformation about parts and difficulty of maintenance is what has hurt values. I love mine and have no plans on selling it any time soon. Back when I bought mine it was either a new C6 or the Z,don't regret my choice one bit.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:53 PM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone who regularly read car magazines in the early 90s knows about the ZR-1. Everyone else probably has no clue. I've had WRXs and the like rev at me while driving mine around probably thinking it was an everyday regular old C4. I don't do silly things like I did when I was younger thank goodness.

Honestly, it's one of the fastest antique eligible cars money can buy. It's a complete performance bargain right now. The next performance bargain would be a C5 Z06 (probably my next Vette purchase). Outside of these two, it costs a whole lot more to get 175 capability stock.

For all the faults of the C4, the ZR-1 is something special. Everytime I put my foot into it, it puts a smile on my face. Then I realize this car is a 25 year old antique...... utterly amazing.

Once I have all of the little ****ling issues corrected and do a few subtle upgrades, I will have a car that can be cruised and plain run hard upon demand for cheap! Sure it doesn't attract attention, maybe that's why the C4 ZR-1 is now in effect the ultimate sleeper.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Yes it's true most at a show wouldn't know what it is but a few will. I was at a cars and coffee deal years ago standing about 20 yards from my car and I see this kid,maybe 13 looking at the car. He would walk away,look at some other cars and then come back to my car. After about the 3rd time I walk over and start talking to the kid or rather he started talking to me,about the ZR-1. This kid knew exactly what it was,he was more knowledgable on the car than pretty much anybody else that's asked about the car in the 9 years I've owned it. Yes,the car is an icon but sadly the misinformation about parts and difficulty of maintenance is what has hurt values. I love mine and have no plans on selling it any time soon. Back when I bought mine it was either a new C6 or the Z,don't regret my choice one bit.
I don't get this logic. 1967 435s also have hard to find parts, are very expensive when you do find them, and can be a maintenance nightmare to keep properly running and yet it does not hurt their value in the least.

Also, the Grandsport may be a low volume looker, but it is a paint and tape special. I've seen this before with the C3s when the Pace Cars came out. High values for many years, but ultimately the performance oriented Corvettes won out from a value (and overall interest) perspective.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

One must follow the pricing trends as cars and their "lovers" age.
I won't go all of the way back, but lets start with cars of the mid 50's.
If I was 15 in 1957, THE car would have been a 57 Corvette or Bel Air.
Being 15 you have no money to buy that dream car.
Twenty- Five years later, when you finally have some disposable income, and college and house payments trail off, you finally buy one.
So in the 1980's prices for those cars began their steady climb and continued.
However, now those guys are in their mid 70's, and the values now stagnate as many of them are selling cars, not buying them.
67's well same deal, just change the dates. That 15 year old hit his 40's in the 90's. Again values climb steadily, but will eventually flatten out as those folks move through their 70's, and begin to divest themselves of their treasured toys.
The ZR-1.
Again 15 in 1990, is now 40 in 2015. As that group's income rises and becomes more and more discretionary, they will begin buying the dream cars that were posters on the wall when they were kids. For many, that will be a ZR-1, as it was indeed THE car of the early 90's.
As those purchases increase, such demand will begin to drive up the price.

Expecting this to happen sooner is not supported by the empirical evidence, but it surely will be proven as we march through the next 10-20 years, unless something has happened or happens to change long standing pricing trends for "cars of our youth".

So ZR-1 lovers are just "early adaptors".
The rest of the world will catch on and catch up!
So stay tuned for "Icon" status, and if not; who cares!
I have one; many of my friends have them, and we all are having a blast with them!
I am 100lbs lighter, with thicker hair and feel like a kid, every time I drive mine, so Icon schmycon, I could not care less what others think, I just love that car!
My plate from my first one is still true.

1FUNZR1

Marty

Originally Posted by bb62
I don't get this logic. 1967 435s also have hard to find parts, are very expensive when you do find them, and can be a maintenance nightmare to keep properly running and yet it does not hurt their value in the least.

Also, the Grandsport may be a low volume looker, but it is a paint and tape special. I've seen this before with the C3s when the Pace Cars came out. High values for many years, but ultimately the performance oriented Corvettes won out from a value (and overall interest) perspective.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I think that's what I was expecting at the show on Saturday, the 9 year old or above that knew what the ZR-1 was, and interested in knowing more. There were only a mere few who showed interest. I must say though when I did mention I could get 7200 r's in first gear doing 60mph, their eyes got very wide with big grins on their faces....
The 65 C2 Coupe next to me drew quite a bit of interest, and that is fine. I guess the overall point I am trying to make is that the ZR-1 does not have the interest level as C1's, C2's or even C7's at this time.
And that may be a reason or part of the reason that the 90-95 ZR-1's and the C5 Z06's are the best bargain priced vehicles of this decade IMO and as mentioned below.
I'll still approach people who come by at future car shows, and try to spark some interest from them in knowing more about the ZR-1. I even get to learn about what they drive and their car interest, and that makes for a very interesting conversation for sure.....

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Anyone who regularly read car magazines in the early 90s knows about the ZR-1. Everyone else probably has no clue. I've had WRXs and the like rev at me while driving mine around probably thinking it was an everyday regular old C4. I don't do silly things like I did when I was younger thank goodness.

Honestly, it's one of the fastest antique eligible cars money can buy. It's a complete performance bargain right now. The next performance bargain would be a C5 Z06 (probably my next Vette purchase). Outside of these two, it costs a whole lot more to get 175 capability stock.

For all the faults of the C4, the ZR-1 is something special. Everytime I put my foot into it, it puts a smile on my face. Then I realize this car is a 25 year old antique...... utterly amazing.

Once I have all of the little ****ling issues corrected and do a few subtle upgrades, I will have a car that can be cruised and plain run hard upon demand for cheap! Sure it doesn't attract attention, maybe that's why the C4 ZR-1 is now in effect the ultimate sleeper.
Couldn't agree with you more, especially your last line.....
"the C4 ZR-1 is now in effect the ultimate sleeper"

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Could the ZR-1 Be One of the Most Iconic Corvettes Ever?

Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I think the ZR-1 will definitely have is followers that pay money for them in the future, but I think it has 2 big problems that will keep its values down. It's not as iconic looking as the '96 Grand Sport, it lacks that "wow" factor. And there's another car that while not as friendly was way more dreamy at that time frame... the Viper.

Yes, you will have diehard ZR-1s, but I think they won't be worth as much as Vipers and GS's. But that happens with a lot of cars - it's not necessarily the fastest cars that have the highest values, it's the ones with the most recognition and best stories (Boss 302 and 429s for example).
Old 06-21-2016, 06:00 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think the ZR-1 will definitely have is followers that pay money for them in the future, but I think it has 2 big problems that will keep its values down. It's not as iconic looking as the '96 Grand Sport, it lacks that "wow" factor. And there's another car that while not as friendly was way more dreamy at that time frame... the Viper.

Yes, you will have diehard ZR-1s, but I think they won't be worth as much as Vipers and GS's. But that happens with a lot of cars - it's not necessarily the fastest cars that have the highest values, it's the ones with the most recognition and best stories (Boss 302 and 429s for example).
But you know what, in today's car world it's really hard to say what will and what won't. Because at any given time a vehicle can go up or down in value for any reason.
If buyers are looking for any vehicle for investments as opposed to owning and enjoying them for what they are, then IMO I think it is a mistake. And by mistake, I mean missing out on driving them as much as possible, rather than not. Unless you have a lot of $$$$ and time to wait it out. And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that thought process if that is what you would like to do,
The Vettes that I own now were and are not for investment. They were purchased because these certain models were and are affordable right now in this time period. Now after my grandsons get them, maybe sometime in their lifetime, they will appreciate in value, well then that is another story.
In my 5th week of retirement..... I have driven my ZR-1 more in this time than the last 2 years. Just about everytime I go out, its with the Z, and loving every minute......
Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Sure it doesn't attract attention, maybe that's why the C4 ZR-1 is now in effect the ultimate sleeper.
Actually this is one of the things I really like about my ZR-1. Virtually no one knows what they are looking at or seeing on the road. Sometimes they notice the roar of the exhaust and some behind me notice the width of the tires. Oh, and my ZR-1 emblem came off the rear bumber so there is nothing on the car that says it's a ZR-1. Maybe the biggest giveaway is my license plate, which is my Forum name.
But overall I rarely have anyone know what it is other than a C4.

Quick Reply: Could the ZR-1 Be One of the Most Iconic Corvettes Ever?