C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Engine Appears sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:46 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Engine Appears sluggish

Car was running fine the last time I dove it. It has been about 6 weeks since then. I usually disconnect the battery as well. When I went to start it the battery was about dead, not enough juice to turn it over. I hooked up my remote charger and she fire right up with the usual guide chain rattle for a few seconds but this time she barked out a bit of smoke momentarily but that cleared up. When I drove it, it seemed to lack power, it idles fine but when I give it some gas, it is unresponsive. It feels like i am driving on 4 cylinders. The idle is smooth, there has always been a slight vacuum leak, the pump runs once every 2.5 seconds with engine off and when running maintains a steady 17" of vacuum. There is spark on all 8 cylinders. The car is drivable with no engine codes. The only thing left I can think of is bad or fowled fuel injector....or the fact I have been driving my 700 HP 434 cuin C3 around all week....

Any thoughts?

Last edited by KJL; 07-04-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'd drive it abit and see if it clears up.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:14 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Car was running fine the last time I dove it. It has been about 6 weeks since then. I usually disconnect the battery as well. When I went to start it the battery was about dead, not enough juice to turn it over. I hooked up my remote charger and she fire right up with the usually guide chain rattle for a few seconds but this time she barked out a bit or smoke momentarily but that cleared up. When I drove it, it seemed to lack power, it idles fine but when I give it some gas, it is unresponsive. It feels like i am driving on 4 cylinders. The idle is smooth, there has always been a slight vacuum leak, the pump runs once every 2.5 seconds with engine off and when running maintains a steady 17" of vacuum. There is spark on all 8 cylinders. The car is drivable with no engine codes. The only thing left I can think of is bad or fowled fuel injector....or the fact I have been driving my 700 HP 434 cuin C3 around all week....

Any thoughts?
Hose popped off back of plenum?
Old 07-04-2016, 06:38 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jay1055
Hose popped off back of plenum?
Everything appears to be in place. That was the first place I checked. I was also thinking maybe a fouled plug but it doesn't seem like it is missing. Probably should check them regardless.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:58 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What color was the smoke that you saw?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Great question, perhaps that is the key to all of this. I wish I paid closer attention to that. The storage unit is quite dark as well and is was hard to tell the smoke color. I will check the PCV valves and keep a close eye on the coolant level. Also will check voltage while running to make sure alternator is functioning properly.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

FWIW, a stock 90 ZR will finish the 1/4 mile at approx 112 mph in 13.1 sec. (500 feet AMSL). You can use that as your benchmark for comparison.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Back from trip, registration is due so it will be interesting to see if I can pass the emissions test in current state. Bringing car tomorrow. This is the last year! WhooHoooo!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Car was running fine the last time I dove it. It has been about 6 weeks since then. I usually disconnect the battery as well. When I went to start it the battery was about dead, not enough juice to turn it over. I hooked up my remote charger and she fire right up with the usual guide chain rattle for a few seconds but this time she barked out a bit of smoke momentarily but that cleared up. When I drove it, it seemed to lack power, it idles fine but when I give it some gas, it is unresponsive. It feels like i am driving on 4 cylinders. The idle is smooth, there has always been a slight vacuum leak, the pump runs once every 2.5 seconds with engine off and when running maintains a steady 17" of vacuum. There is spark on all 8 cylinders. The car is drivable with no engine codes. The only thing left I can think of is bad or fowled fuel injector....or the fact I have been driving my 700 HP 434 cuin C3 around all week....

Any thoughts?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-working.html

Like you, my '91 exhibited the same symptoms, vacuum pump cycling about every 3 seconds and sluggish performance on dyno and driving. Only put down 241 rwhp after full headers, 3" exhaust and tune. Secondaries appeared to work fine when tested in the shop with the engine running. Turned out to be a faulty check valve in the secondary vacuum line coming from the vacuum pump. This check valve is a cheap part, but its under the plenum in the engine valley. Impossible to reach without pulling the plenum. I replaced it and moved it to the side of the plenum for easy access. Problem solved. Engine runs perfectly and secondaries open solid upon acceleration. You can read through my thread above and see if this offers any solution for you. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:00 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I am starting to lean in that direction. Problem appears intermittent. Runs fine for awhile then will hesitate and stumble upon acceleration only sometimes. It just passed emissions test and was running great when on my way home I lightly accelerated up a hill and the engine sounded like it pinged for a second enough for the service engine light to come on. 5 minutes later the light turned off. Intermittent issues are a PITA to track down. Some issues only happen when the engine is hot.

Another thing I hear but I think it has always done this is kinda whistle when the throttle is applied. As far as I can tell it is air passing through the small throttle opening when blades first start to open. Again, only lasts a couple of seconds as the main blades start to open.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

If you're getting check engine light and hearing knock, it sounds more like fuel or timing. Can you recover the code? That may shed some light. If the secondary vacuum pump cycles, you should still chase that down and repair unless you want to eliminate this system and keep secondaries open all the time. Agree that intermittent problems are a pain. Stay at it. We all learn from each other's headaches!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jss06c6
If you're getting check engine light and hearing knock, it sounds more like fuel or timing. Can you recover the code? That may shed some light. If the secondary vacuum pump cycles, you should still chase that down and repair unless you want to eliminate this system and keep secondaries open all the time. Agree that intermittent problems are a pain. Stay at it. We all learn from each other's headaches!
I just finished checking some things and found the following:
Cyl 3 Primary Injector: 6.1 ohms
Cyl 5 Primary Injector: 9.9 ohms
Cyl 8 Secondary Injector: 9.9 ohms

All others 12.2 to 12.6 ohms

Coil Packs Secondary with Plenum installed cold:
1/6: 20.5 ohms
2/3: 20.8
4/7: 18.2
5/8: 20.6

FP-1: 40 psig
FP-2: 40 psig

AND, what ever GM engineer thought it was a good idea to put fuse blocks up under the passenger side dash with no access doors need to be fired. If he has already retired, they need to re-hire him so they can fire him. WTF???
Old 07-31-2016, 04:59 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by KJL
I just finished checking some things and found the following:
Cyl 3 Primary Injector: 6.1 ohms
Cyl 5 Primary Injector: 9.9 ohms
Cyl 8 Secondary Injector: 9.9 ohms

All others 12.2 to 12.6 ohms

Coil Packs Secondary with Plenum installed cold:
1/6: 20.5 ohms
2/3: 20.8
4/7: 18.2
5/8: 20.6

FP-1: 40 psig
FP-2: 40 psig

AND, what ever GM engineer thought it was a good idea to put fuse blocks up under the passenger side dash with no access doors need to be fired. If he has already retired, they need to re-hire him so they can fire him. WTF???
Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you still running the original injectors on this engine? You might be experiencing ethanol issues with them if not changed yet. Just a thought based upon some of your symptoms.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Yes, I believe they are original. The car only has 21000 miles on it and most of the stuff is original including the tires.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Passing the emissions is good. Id put in a fresh set of injectors, no question here. Give it another run after that
Old 08-11-2016, 08:10 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by illenema
Passing the emissions is good. Id put in a fresh set of injectors, no question here. Give it another run after that
Yup, that is the plan this fall. Planning a top end refresh including port work, new orings on fuel lines, General under-plenum clean up and vacuum leakage checks, Haibeck chip etc.

Currently looking for someone to do the port work or do it myself. There are some folks that do it but the very expensive.

Last edited by KJL; 08-11-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Appears sluggish

Quick Reply: Engine Appears sluggish