C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Reinforced Air Bellow for 1990-1995 ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Reinforced Air Bellow for 1990-1995 ZR-1

I have a new reinforced air bellow purchased for my 1990 ZR-1 to prevent the bellow from collapsing under full throttle. This is as a direct replacement for your factory bellow.. no modifications needed. Air bellow Collapsing is a common problem with the C4 Corvette and can be difficult to diagnose. This is high quality piece lined with a thin polished stainless steel sleeve and pressure fitted into the bellow. Professionally manufactured, it is not a made up piece. 200.00 plus shipping.
Attached Images    

Last edited by TommyL; 07-07-2016 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Best offer
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

W/ all due respect, that seems a "litte" pricey for a sheet metal, spot-welded sleeve.

Other options include the one sold by ZR-1 supporter Jerry's Gaskets for about $160, and Marc Haibeck sells wire "hoop" sets that reinforce the existing "accordion" duct.

As far as a fabricated one goes, one similar to yours can be a DIY project, using aluminum sheet metal and either welded seams (similar to the ones you have) or pop-rivets. (I think mine cost me about $6.00 in materials and took under an hour to build.)

I guess one question I have regarding the one you have is; does the accordion "snorkel" come with the sleeve inserted by the maker, or is it a DIY installation?

One more thing: Do YOU manufacture this thing? If not, who does?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
W/ all due respect, that seems a "litte" pricey for a sheet metal, spot-welded sleeve.

Other options include the one sold by ZR-1 supporter Jerry's Gaskets for about $160, and Marc Haibeck sells wire "hoop" sets that reinforce the existing "accordion" duct.

As far as a fabricated one goes, one similar to yours can be a DIY project, using aluminum sheet metal and either welded seams (similar to the ones you have) or pop-rivets. (I think mine cost me about $6.00 in materials and took under an hour to build.)

I guess one question I have regarding the one you have is; does the accordion "snorkel" come with the sleeve inserted by the maker, or is it a DIY installation?

One more thing: Do YOU manufacture this thing? If not, who does?
Hi Paul,

Yes it comes complete as seen, I didn't manufacture it, I bought it years ago from a member of the Registry. I agree it could easily be made and could be a dyi project, however, this one was purchased. I wanted to keep my 90 original. The factory installed bellow kept sucking shut under throttle once it got warm so I saw this as a "factory looking" fix. Back in the day I purchased 2 as I own 2 ZR-1's but bought a Samco kit from lingenfelter for my 90 that included the Samco reinforced bellow. I still use this exact set up for my 93 to keep it factory appearing.

If your interested, message me at kito@sympatico.ca and we can come up with a deal you can be happy with.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Reinforced Air Bellow for 1990-1995 ZR-1

Quick Reply: Reinforced Air Bellow for 1990-1995 ZR-1