C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1990 ZR-1 oil change help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Curt Baclawski
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 ZR-1 oil change help needed

Hello,

Non-mechanic - zr1 newbie here

I have a 1990 zr-1 with the lingenfelter 383 package. I am having difficulty reading the dipstick and have decided to just change the oil. I have had the car about 6 months, and have never changed it(prob driven only ~ 200mi), so I figure it's time anyway.

I have a 4 post lift, and I have purchased the oil and filter, but I'm afraid to start. I've read that there are 2 drain plugs, and it needs to drain for a while, but I don't know how to recognize the plugs, and I've read conflicting info on how much oil to add after draining.

Is the a step by step guide anywhere? (I've searched but did not find)

If not, any guidance would be helpful...

Thanks,

Curt
Old 07-17-2016, 02:18 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Look up anything and everything you may ever want to know about LT5 Maintainance in the Stickys posted at the top of the page.

Let it drain overnight before you take the filter off!

Last edited by JimZRyd; 07-17-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt Baclawski
Hello,

Non-mechanic - zr1 newbie here

I have a 1990 zr-1 with the lingenfelter 383 package. I am having difficulty reading the dipstick and have decided to just change the oil. I have had the car about 6 months, and have never changed it(prob driven only ~ 200mi), so I figure it's time anyway.

I have a 4 post lift, and I have purchased the oil and filter, but I'm afraid to start. I've read that there are 2 drain plugs, and it needs to drain for a while, but I don't know how to recognize the plugs, and I've read conflicting info on how much oil to add after draining.

Is the a step by step guide anywhere? (I've searched but did not find)

If not, any guidance would be helpful...

Thanks,

Curt
on a stock lt5 ,there is only 1 drainplug on the aluminum oil pan. drain the oil, remove the oil flilter and refill with i believe 8.5 quarts . done.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Curt Baclawski
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, i'll read the stickies, nothing came up when I searched... sorry for dumb question
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Not a dumb question at all Curt. Welcome to the club! These Z's although mostly a C4, still are different/special enough that it requires some knowledge to keep them running top notch. There's quite a few guys here that know the LT5 inside and out. Don't hesitate to ask about anything you need!

Jim
Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Curt Baclawski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
Not a dumb question at all Curt. Welcome to the club! These Z's although mostly a C4, still are different/special enough that it requires some knowledge to keep them running top notch. There's quite a few guys here that know the LT5 inside and out. Don't hesitate to ask about anything you need!

Jim
Thanks!

The reassurance about only one drain plug, and 8.5 quarts gave me the confidence to give it a shot. It's out there draining now!

Curt
Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Sounds like you have it covered Curt. As stated its pretty straight forward. No need to go gonzo tight on the filter,tighten by hand then maybe 1/2-3/4 turn with a filter wrench,just tight enough to where you can't loosen it by hand. Don't forget to coat the rubber seal on the new filter and a new Teflon? washer on the drain plug. Some go psycho and actually drain to oil cooler but I don't even think that's necessary.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 PM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Sounds like you have it covered Curt. As stated its pretty straight forward. No need to go gonzo tight on the filter,tighten by hand then maybe 1/2-3/4 turn with a filter wrench,just tight enough to where you can't loosen it by hand. Don't forget to coat the rubber seal on the new filter and a new Teflon? washer on the drain plug. Some go psycho and actually drain to oil cooler but I don't even think that's necessary.
I've always just put a thin coat of fresh oil on the seal and installed oil filters by hand. I've never used a wrench to install only to remove. If you need a better grip I've always found a good old red shop rag to suffice.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Curt Baclawski
Heel & Toe

I probably tightened the filter too much, I used a wrench, but didn't torque it down as hard as I could... Don't see any leaks, so I think it should be ok...

thanks all for the help
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt Baclawski
I probably tightened the filter too much, I used a wrench, but didn't torque it down as hard as I could... Don't see any leaks, so I think it should be ok...

thanks all for the help
A quarter turn past hand tight is usually sufficent to keep the oil filter on there. The oil filter is under the hood right next to the oil cap... right?

You mentioned the cubic inch number 383 in your first post. I am not familiar with a 383 LT5 cubic inch package from Lingenfelter. Are you sure that is the displacement?

Welcome to the ZR-1 brotherhood.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Curt Baclawski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
A quarter turn past hand tight is usually sufficent to keep the oil filter on there. The oil filter is under the hood right next to the oil cap... right?

You mentioned the cubic inch number 383 in your first post. I am not familiar with a 383 LT5 cubic inch package from Lingenfelter. Are you sure that is the displacement?

Welcome to the ZR-1 brotherhood.

Don't know why I said 383, it's 368... the "368 cid 1990 ZR-1 engine package"

This is what it has:
http://lingenfelter.managecontent.co...hp-368-cid-lt5

It didn't come from the dealer with the package, it was added later by a previous owner in 1996.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome post up some pics of the beast
Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second drain plug? You must be referring to the one in the oil cooler. The earlier zr-1's had them as far as I know.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by blownrunner
Second drain plug? You must be referring to the one in the oil cooler. The earlier zr-1's had them as far as I know.
I siphon mine with a clear hose while having the passenger side up a little higher than the drivers side. This gets about another 2/3 of a quart out of the system.

Make sure you stuff a rag in the area below the place where the lines attach with a 10 mm bolt to minimize little spills. Also inspect your O rings before you put the lines back on.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Dime
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't see anyone mentioning it yet.

You need to check the oil level when the engines cold and the oils had plenty of time to settle. Once the engines been started you can't get a read on the level.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I give it 24 hr and use mighty vac extractor, http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp
7201 holds 8.8 liter, I can almost fill it up
Old 07-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

the lt5 has lots of little nooks and crannies and the oil drain back is a little slow.

if you want to check the oil hot, it will generally show 3/4 to quart low which is fine.

let it cool down for 30 min or so for the drain back. when I change oil, I like to warm the engine up and let it drain for a few hours

the drain will trickle for a long time!

also keep in mind the dirty oil DOES stay in the oil cooler, but I'm not fastidious enough to worry about it
Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
the lt5 has lots of little nooks and crannies and the oil drain back is a little slow.

if you want to check the oil hot, it will generally show 3/4 to quart low which is fine.

let it cool down for 30 min or so for the drain back. when I change oil, I like to warm the engine up and let it drain for a few hours

the drain will trickle for a long time!

also keep in mind the dirty oil DOES stay in the oil cooler, but I'm not fastidious enough to worry about it
Hi Ron... I don't worry about the oil in the cooler.... I just find it makes me "feel" better when I know I have removed it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 ZR-1 oil change help needed

Quick Reply: 1990 ZR-1 oil change help needed