C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Secondary Vacuum Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM
y2kfirefly
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Vacuum Pump

Hi
Just got a 92 zr1 one and was hoping someone could answer a question. Upon checking the vacuum pump I found the motor in it rusted and not working. I have another one ordered but was wanting some clarification. Does this pump keep full power from operating or does it just hinder it from working to its full potential? Ive googled it but can't find any thing directly stating this.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by y2kfirefly
Hi
Just got a 92 zr1 one and was hoping someone could answer a question. Upon checking the vacuum pump I found the motor in it rusted and not working. I have another one ordered but was wanting some clarification. Does this pump keep full power from operating or does it just hinder it from working to its full potential? Ive googled it but can't find any thing directly stating this.
The vacuum pump applies vacuum so that when the secondary circuit is energized, the vacuum pulls open the secondary throttle plates. if the pump is non-functional, the secondaries will never open and you will never have FULL POWER.
Rich
Old 08-05-2016, 02:47 PM
y2kfirefly
8th Gear

Thanks for the answer. So I am basically running in normal mode until I get the pump installed correct.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by y2kfirefly
Thanks for the answer. So I am basically running in normal mode until I get the pump installed correct.
Yes and keep the valet key in normal mode until the pump is replaced and working
Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 PM
stevdug
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the easiest way to check to see if the pump is functioning correctly
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM
y2kfirefly
8th Gear

Originally Posted by stevdug
When you turn ignition on you should hear it run for 5 to 10 seconds.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by stevdug
Unplug the line at the union by the plenum,the pump will run until it's plugged. Just curious,what did you pay for a new pump?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Yes and keep the valet key in normal mode until the pump is replaced and working
Yes.....there are two sources of vacuum for secondaries (vacuum pump and Plenum vacuum). There is a check valve under the plenum that closes when the vacuum pump takes over with wide open throttle (Plenum vacuum drops at wide open throttle). Without that check valve the vacuum pump (if you have some vacuum leaks) would be running all the time while cruising with relatively high Plenum vacuum. With that check valve operational, the vacuum pump is not required when cruising to maintain sufficient vacuum should you step on the gas. But once you step on the gas the vacuum pump takes over as Plenum vacuum drops

One of the first checks for a vacuum pump that continues to run at all times is the functioning of that check valve. Just pull the Plenum vacuum hose between the two runners on the Drivers side and hold finger over pulled vacuum connector (the vacuum pump should stop running immediately.

Failed Vacuum Check Valve TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-06-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Yes.....there are two sources of vacuum for secondaries (vacuum pump and Plenum vacuum). There is a check valve under the plenum that closes when the vacuum pump takes over with wide open throttle (Plenum vacuum drops at wide open throttle). Without that check valve the vacuum pump (if you have some vacuum leaks) would be running all the time while cruising with relatively high Plenum vacuum. With that check valve operational, the vacuum pump is not required when cruising to maintain sufficient vacuum should you step on the gas. But once you step on the gas the vacuum pump takes over as Plenum vacuum drops .............

Failed Vacuum Check Valve TIPS
Agree! Engine vacuum charges the Secondary Port Throttle System during normal operation, just as Dynomite said. Even without the Secondary PT Vacuum Pump running, there is enough vacuum to open the Secondaries, SO LONG AS THE SYSTEM IS 100% LEAK FREE. How long the Actuators will hold the Secondaries open, depends entirely on how bad the leaks are & how good the check valve is holding. The bigger the leaks, the faster the Secondarys will close or even fail to open completely.

The Secondary PT Pump is there to supply vacuum under WOT & will keep up with small leaks, but not major leaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Secondary Vacuum Pump

Quick Reply: Secondary Vacuum Pump