C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

On the Straße again :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM
KGV
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default On the Straße again :)

After more than four years of storage

Well, the ZR-1 is finally back on the road after an extended break. I had a full service done, along with new Michelin tires. I knew it was going to be expensive when the garage showed me five pages of work that was done.

The car would not start after I took the picture, so that was another 300+ Euros for a new battery. So far, so good. It drives well, but I noticed the water temperature was on the high side of the scale on Friday. It was Okay on Sunday, but that was a cooler day. Maybe air in the system. I had new hoses and antifreeze put in. The green stuff, shipped all the way from the US since I could not find it easily here in Germany.

Only another six weeks and then it goes into winter storage. Hopefully some decent driving days during that period.

Ken
Old 09-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by KGV

After more than four years of storage

Well, the ZR-1 is finally back on the road after an extended break. I had a full service done, along with new Michelin tires. I knew it was going to be expensive when the garage showed me five pages of work that was done.

The car would not start after I took the picture, so that was another 300+ Euros for a new battery. So far, so good. It drives well, but I noticed the water temperature was on the high side of the scale on Friday. It was Okay on Sunday, but that was a cooler day. Maybe air in the system. I had new hoses and antifreeze put in. The green stuff, shipped all the way from the US since I could not find it easily here in Germany.

Only another six weeks and then it goes into winter storage. Hopefully some decent driving days during that period.

Ken
Beautiful car George. Have u posted any pics over at Registry site?
You may want to Jack the passenger side up a bit and open the coolant tank. Let the motor "burp" for a day to make sure the air is out.
Also, did they clean out the nose of the car for any debris on the radiator?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:33 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congrats, Hope you enjoy some time in the drivers seat.
The following users liked this post:
KGV (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

JA JA JA
KGV (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM
KGV
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
... You may want to Jack the passenger side up a bit and open the coolant tank. Let the motor "burp" for a day to make sure the air is out.
Also, did they clean out the nose of the car for any debris on the radiator?
Thanks for the information. Do you raise the passenger side, remove the cap, and let it run for a bit? The garage said they checked for debris, but I will try to check if I see anything.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Those gauges arent super accurate theres a way to get the real temp readout from the digital display been too long maybe someone can post up how to see it you may be running normal temps and not have a problem at all.
If you take the fans off and run a water hose through the fins from the backside that will help cooling quite a bit. Youd be surprised how plugged up they get, a vacuum or air hose doesnt always get it all. Sometimes you need both. Its kind of a pain but worth it.

Last edited by cv67; 09-20-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Coolant Flow, Coolant Temp, and ZR-1 Photo

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
You may want to Jack the passenger side up a bit and open the coolant tank. Let the motor "burp" for a day to make sure the air is out.
If the two Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds get warm within a minute of running the engine, the air has been washed out by the hydrodynamics of the water flow when you rev the engine..........the Water Pump is pumping Coolant. There is no further need to worry about Air in the Coolant Flow or an Air Locked Water Pump.

The Air flushed out of the coolant system ends up in the top of the radiator and from there being forced out of the coolant system to the Coolant Reservoir and on into the Coolant Overflow under Passenger Side Headlight as the coolant expands upon heating. As the engine cools down the Coolant Overflow tank will provide liquid coolant being sucked back into the Coolant System (the coolant System Retracts in volume as it cools). Make sure you keep the Coolant Overflow container under the Passenger Headlight at least half full of coolant. You can almost fill that container if you check when engine is HOT.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Those gauges arent super accurate theres a way to get the real temp readout from the digital display been too long maybe someone can post up how to see it you may be running normal temps and not have a problem at all.
To read Digital Temperature in Deg C on the HVAC Display...
1. Push and hold the Fan Up and Fan Down Buttons (both at the same time) until you get 0:0 showing on the HVAC Display. Tap the Fan Up button several times until you get to 16.
3. Now Tap the Center Fan Speed Control Button once and read Digital Coolant Temperature in Deg C on the HVAC Display.
4. That HVAC Display will continue to show Coolant Temperature in Deg C until you make a new temperature selection after which outside air temperature will be displayed.

You are shooting for 90-100 deg C Coolant Temperature.

Originally Posted by KGV
Very Nice Photo

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-21-2016 at 12:38 AM.
KGV (09-24-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To On the Straße again :)

Quick Reply: On the Straße again :)