C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

At last! Finally a ZR-1 Owner! '91 #1630

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

In the stable also.....Best of luck with the Z
​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Best of luck with your Z.....See if the dealership has service records or maybe the last owners phone number or email address....Fuel injectors are known to go in these years....36,000'miles, they were probably changed out....

Looks like you have at least a cat back exhaust......If you don't have headers I recommend you get them.......The factory manifolds are very restrictive....

Lots of great info on the ZR1 registry.......Got my 91 back in Nov of 2014...

Good luck.....
Old 12-01-2016, 08:50 AM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Tampa, have a 91' also. Like going to cruise in's and the local car scene events. Just removed the targa for the winter too.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 PM
blownrunner
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastC4
Perhaps. I always go to the cars and coffee in Orlando. I bet they have never seen a zr-1. Would love to meet up with some other c4 guys!
I will be taking my Z to the Reeves cars and coffee in Tampa and then to the Garage One Cruise in This Saturday morning Dec 3rd. BTW, looks like your center high mounted stoplamp is out, probably the brake pedal switch like on mine.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy your Z!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
The bane of any C4. I just ordered all four new amps for my Bose Gold after I changed out the CDM.

Better to get ear buds and an IPhone and listen to the engine go!

BTW... I'm considering exhaust upgrades/changes as I just got my 91/1388 about a month ago. I freak with drone and vibration si /i'm wondered how your Borla was treating you?

You can hear my Borla exhaust next weekend in person. I like it quite a bit. I've always been a fan of Borla and Magnaflow systems. I wouldn't touch flowmaster mufflers with my worst enemies hands. Chambers = DRONE. Borla and Magnaflow use straight through designs with various baffles and packing.

I would like to have an X installed at some point. We'll see. Headers still undecided? Eventually I will get the intake upper plenum and injector housings ported.
The following users liked this post:
Magna_Flow (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I like the Flowmaster system made for the ZR-1 sounds great and no drone unfortunately its no longer made but can be found used. I ran it for over 10 years on my 91 and just moved it to my 93 a few years back and went with Corsa.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

I would think most systems have some droan when your in sixth gear....I get it on my OBX when I'm in sixth.....Less noticeacle when you go faster in sixth gear....

It's not a ZR1 but I ran flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my worked 73 for 14 years..........I switched over to magnaflows and the car sounded like a high powered lawn mower when I got it up in the power band.....Installed an H pipe.....Deepened the sound a bit......

Chambered exhaust in my opinion is more old school muscle like my 73....I'm guessing magnaflow does sound good on a ZR1 and gives it good performance.....

In closing I'm switching back to my 40 series flowmasters on my 73.....It may be in my head but down low the car felt just a bit snappier with the flowmasters than the magnaflows.....
Old 12-03-2016, 07:20 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

So, how restrictive REALLY is the resonator on a stock system?

I'm thinking of some exhaust changes but and real drone averse.

I've seen people leave the mufflers, but remove the resonator. My sure if that works well on a ZR1

I'm looking forward to next weeks meet in Texas so I can check out exhaust options,
Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
So, how restrictive REALLY is the resonator on a stock system?

I'm thinking of some exhaust changes but and real drone averse.

I've seen people leave the mufflers, but remove the resonator. My sure if that works well on a ZR1

I'm looking forward to next weeks meet in Texas so I can check out exhaust options,
Get headers and be done.....Stainless works from what I understand make the most power I believe.....I run OBX and I am happy with them....There also less than half the cost of SW from what I hear......SW make around 3-4 HP than OBX
Old 12-05-2016, 08:29 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastC4
After a year or 2 of searching for the right car this one seemingly fell right into my lap. This starts back in June, when Stingray Chevy acquired a 91 Z. I went to look at it, c4 zs are few and far between here in Central Florida. They were asking 23 grand which I thought was decent, not great. Fast foward to a few days ago and they still had the car. I shot them an offer of 17,900 for it and to my suprise they straight up accepted the offer. The next day I bought the car. Couldnt be happier! It only has 36k miles and she is a beauty. I am obsessed with zr1s and am so happy to finally own one. It has a zr1 registry sticker which I just signed up for so maybe the previous owner is on here as well?

1991 ZR-1 #1630
Red/Black

Congratulations!
Well worth the wait to buy it at that price in that condition and mileage!
Well done!

Now, if you have not already done so, check out the ZR-1 Net Registry.
A WEALTH of information and help is always available there as well.
Become a member to enhance your ZR-1 experience!
Welcome!!!

Marty
Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 AM
bigike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1616 (91) waiving a hand! Same catback to. I cut the resonator out and installed an x-pipe, that made a world of difference. Sounds like an exotic DOHC sports car now, and i swear i picked up power...

Quick Reply: At last! Finally a ZR-1 Owner! '91 #1630